PDA

View Full Version : Embryonic Stem Cells

RiverKitty
10-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Since the passing of Christopher Reeve, the topic of Stem Cell Research has re-surfaced across the media.
This has once again become a heated and extremely controversial topic.
This issue also weighs heavily on the upcoming Presidential Race.
Kerry is an avid proponent to stem cell research where Bush is not.

Kwicherbichen
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Kerry is an avid proponent to stem cell research where Bush is not.
Iteresting huh? In another poll posted in this forum it was asked who we are voting for. Bush was leading the poll. In this poll, folks are in favor or stem cell research. You can't hav'em both with Bush.

XtrmWakeborder
10-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Iteresting huh? In another poll posted in this forum it was asked who we are voting for. Bush was leading the poll. In this poll, folks are in favor or stem cell research. You can't hav'em both with Bush.
Just wondering..aren't there privately funded institutions researching stem cell research such as UCSF and UW, while Bush is in office meaning we could have both? Maybe i'm misinformed.

RiverKitty
10-12-2004, 11:22 PM
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! :eek:
Anyone have details on exactly what the process is to research stem cells? :confused:

Some Kind Of Monster
10-12-2004, 11:26 PM
http://www.stemcellresearchfoundation.org/About/FAQ.htm

Tom Brown
10-12-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm onside with anything that will keep RiverDave alive for a couple more years.

Back Forty
10-13-2004, 04:27 AM
Some of you seem to be misinformed. Real misinformed. Bush is against embrionic stem cell research not adult and unbilical stem cell research which is where it is done from currently. Why are none of you aware of this?

Desert Rat
10-13-2004, 05:51 AM
I don't make my choices on just one of MANY issues to consider. I'm for stem cell research I'm ALSO for less taxes which means more money in my pocket that makes it a draw on only two issues... :boxingguy

MagicMtnDan
10-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Some of you seem to be misinformed. Real misinformed. Bush is against embrionic stem cell research not adult and unbilical stem cell research which is where it is done from currently. Why are none of you aware of this?
Here are the facts:
* People are "unaware" of this because the Democrats are telling lies about Bush's policy.
* Bush's policy is that the FEDERAL GOVT will not pay (using OUR TAX DOLLARS) for embryonic stem cell research.
* The issue with embryonic stem cell research is that the stem cells have to be harvested from... embryos. Where/who do you want to harvest those embryos?
* There are NO laws against stem cell research.
* Embryonic stem cell research is reportedly NOT something Christopher Reeve was in favor of.
* Private funding can support any type of stem cell research. Teresa Heinz Kerry can allow her husband to sell one of their NINE vacation homes and donate the proceeds to stem cell research (even embryonic) stem cell research if they want.
* The federal government does not pay for abortions either. Yet abortions are still legal. By the way, did you know that since Roe vs. Wade (Supreme Court decision to allow abortions), about 40 MILLION babies have been aborted here in the US?
The day Christopher Reeve passed away, John Edwards said that if Kerry were president Christopher Reeve would've been walking! They didn't wait til Christopher Reeve's body was cold before using his death to attack the President.
Now you will know the lies the Democrats are spreading about President Bush and stem cell research.
PS: I didn't vote in this poll because I don't understand the real purpose of it. Was this meant as a Bush vs. Kerry question?

Wally_Gator
10-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Stem cells can be obtained in several ways.
Some of them are as follows:
1. Bone marrow. This is the least productive method. Bone marrow transplants done in adults is to harvest stem cells.
2. Umbillical cord blood. The blood that remains in the placenta and umbillical cord is that of the baby. This blood contains a large amount of the baby's stem cells. The amount of blood is limited and thus the number of cells are limited. This method yields more than that of the bone marrow.
3. Embryonic stem cells: At the embryo stage, the number of stem cells is huge. The yield from one embryo is huge compared to other methods. This is where Bush is against the use of an embryo as a baby would have to die before these cells could be used.
That is a basic nutshell of the sources of stem cells.
The republican party is against abortion, thus any use of an aborted fetus or embryo would be against their beliefs.
When my daughter was born, we had the stem cells harvested from the umbilical cord. Her stem cells are now frozen and available for her if she should befall a horrible disease.
Walter (Wally_Gator)

H20Advantage
10-13-2004, 06:32 AM
What he said. Bush is only against the possibility of babies being aborted just for this reason. Stem cells can come from other sources and used for research and development.
Kerry is still undecided on the issue...flip/flop. :squiggle:

RiverKitty
10-13-2004, 06:43 AM
PS: I didn't vote in this poll because I don't understand the real purpose of it. Was this meant as a Bush vs. Kerry question?
Hey Dan!
The reason I started this thread was because I myself did not have a clear understanding of this issue but kept hearing it was a "big issue" amongst the candidates.
I basically just wanted more information and thoughts from others on how it might affect the outcome of the two presidential candidates.
So far everyones input has been quite informative. THANKS! :D
~RK :D

Tremor Therapy
10-13-2004, 06:52 AM
Great way to set it straight Dan.....but this issue is like so many others the Dem's are currently attacking Bush on. There may be some truth to Kerry's original statement.....it may only be 1% truth, and it may be missing a lot of the other words in key places, but in the Dem's mind that is the majority!

OGShocker
10-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Here are the facts:
* People are "unaware" of this because the Democrats are telling lies about Bush's policy.
* Bush's policy is that the FEDERAL GOVT will not pay (using OUR TAX DOLLARS) for embryonic stem cell research.
* The issue with embryonic stem cell research is that the stem cells have to be harvested from... embryos. Where/who do you want to harvest those embryos?
* There are NO laws against stem cell research.
* Embryonic stem cell research is reportedly NOT something Christopher Reeve was in favor of.
* Private funding can support any type of stem cell research. Teresa Heinz Kerry can allow her husband to sell one of their NINE vacation homes and donate the proceeds to stem cell research (even embryonic) stem cell research if they want.
* The federal government does not pay for abortions either. Yet abortions are still legal. By the way, did you know that since Roe vs. Wade (Supreme Court decision to allow abortions), about 40 MILLION babies have been aborted here in the US?
The day Christopher Reeve passed away, John Edwards said that if Kerry were president Christopher Reeve would've been walking! They didn't wait til Christopher Reeve's body was cold before using his death to attack the President.
Now you will know the lies the Democrats are spreading about President Bush and stem cell research.
Dan stole my THUNDER!!!! :hammerhea
The "Anybody but Bush" crowd would like everyone to think President Bush is "against" ESCR. Leaving the impression that he does NOT want to help the sick or dying. Does anyone here truly believe this? Sadly the answer is ...yes some do.
Final thought,
This really should have been posted in the "PR" forum to save room for more Beaumont threads in the sandbar. :2purples:

Back Forty
10-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Very informative!

RiverKitty
10-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Final thought,
This really should have been posted in the "PR" forum to save room for more Beaumont threads in the sandbar. :2purples:
Sorry OG....I musta had a brain fart, eh?
I'll try to remember that next time I submit a post. :(
What's even worse is.....I didn't even realize we had a PR thread!!! :2purples: LOL! I'm on autopilot when it comes to this forum...I only post in 2 or 3 forums....otherwise I could never keep up with all of them. :eek: Thanks, I'll make a note of that! :D
(I'm such a dork!) :rolleyes:

OGShocker
10-13-2004, 07:21 AM
(I'm such a dork!) :rolleyes:
We still love ya RK! :)

RiverKitty
10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
We still love ya RK! :)
WHEW!!! Thanks!!! :D

cdog
10-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Here's where i'm a little confused. On my california absentee ballot I vote yes or no to allow a bond to research this. I vote no. Since when is california responsiable to fund medical research. Why is this a option. Will I get my money back when they make money with the research I/We paid for. I BET NOT! Totaly Stupid! Yet another reason to move to AZ. We are up to our assholes in tax's here and they want to fund a 600 million dollar bond. F that.
By the way my grandmother (Helen Condit) just past away from Cancer. I'm sure this stuff would have possiable saved here life. She was a Republican down to her last day here on earth and to this day i've never met a kinder woman. Even she knew that if california paid for this bond it would be another buracratic toilet of waisted money. Leave stem cell research to company's who are at least honest about making money from it.

BowTie Rick
10-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Here's where i'm a little confused. On my california absentee ballot I vote yes or no to allow a bond to research this. I vote no. Since when is california responsiable to fund medical research. Why is this a option. Will I get my money back when they make money with the research I/We paid for. I BET NOT! Totaly Stupid! Yet another reason to move to AZ. We are up to our assholes in tax's here and they want to fund a 600 million dollar bond. F that.
By the way my grandmother (Helen Condit) just past away from Cancer. I'm sure this stuff would have possiable saved here life. She was a Republican down to her last day here on earth and to this day i've never met a kinder woman. Even she knew that if california paid for this bond it would be another buracratic toilet of waisted money. Leave stem cell research to company's who are at least honest about making money from it.
BINGO. I am against the proposition on the ballot because it is gov't funded. To me, that means mis-management, beauracracy, and waste. Private funding is fine but to incur debt in a our state's fiscal condition is not wise.

spectratoad
10-13-2004, 08:51 AM
The fed's/our tax dollars should not pay for any medical research, which is what Bush wants. If the Gov stays out of it the research will go much more quickly and probably far cheaper.
Bush also said in the last debate that he was against Embryonic research because he didn't want embryos created for just this purpose. He stated that there were something like 200 embryos in frozen state that are available for the research.

Ion
10-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't think anyone can agree with 100% of what their presidential candidate stands for. Bush is only against using new fetal stem cells. It conflicts with his abortion stance. He has, however, condoned use of previously "harvested" fetal (or was it embryonic?) stem cells.

RiverKitty
10-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Well, the 3rd round of debates starts later today....anyone else gonna watch it? :idea:

Tom Brown
10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Speaking of stem cells... Kitty, you were online last night (early this morning) at 2:30am when I got home from work and you're on already today. Is your shower broken, or something? :confused:
... and, yes, I will watching the debate. :cool:

RiverKitty
10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Dang Tom....you're good!!! :eek:
You're the only one who noticed! I haven't went to bed...yet. I've been up all night trying to get some stuff done. I'm surprised I'm even able to type...I'll be takin' a nap....soon!
You're quite an observant person!!! :D

victorfb
10-13-2004, 12:06 PM
being one that has been (is) parralized from a spinal cord injury, i have to say that there are sooooooooooo many untrueths and misconceptions to this topic. if i had to sum it up, id say its all about the mighty dollar. yes, there are privately funded research companies that are researching the stem cells (from all aspects) and yes there has been some good outcomes. there are even some drugs out that are proven to help in SCI (spinal cord injuries) but since it is privatly funded they are STILL undecided on whoem gets the credit and how the money will be distributed. not to mention the fight with the FDA. everyone wants a hand in the kitty and the FDA wants more research done. if the government starts funding more research it will allow a faster distribution and not as many "Bill Gates" type monoploly's. investing in research has a broud band and if a research company that is privately funded finds a cure for cancer, will ALL the investers get thier share? did your investement state that portion of the research dept? were would the smart investement be made? for the cure of a cancer, there is a multi billoin dollar payback. not so much for spinal cord injuries as there are not nearly as many people that are strickened with it. so why invest in that portion of the research? you wouldnt buy a lottery ticket if you knew that the winning ticket would only give you a couple dollars paypack now would you? you want the BIG payback. thats were the investers are targeting. very little money goes to the research for certian illnesses and injuries. if the government was to allow grants for this research, then the research companies can apply and gain funding which would allow more intense research and the research company will not have to be as concerned with who gets what, and be controlled by private investors. Bush, Kerry, Mr Magoo, i dont give a rats ass who or which political party is the one that gets more involved, as long as they DO. we are a human race and if the research is there that can and will help your children i say lets get on with it. now i know theres the contrversy of embryonic stem cells and the whole killing of babies arguement. people, its a smoke screen. a tool used by our polititions and actovists. regulations are made and enforced, but first your senetor needs to make a law to enforce it. so he/she will use this to couple it with another not so desireable law/bill to be put on the ballot. thats how our system works. you wanted higher speed limits in california, well you have them, but now its mandatory to wear a seatbelt. it was the same bill. and you voted for it. and thats another notch in the senetors belt. (Feinstien is good at this). actovists (green peace, ect.) will donate millions of dollars to help put bills in thier favor. and our polititions are almost forced in putting such bills on the ballet if they want to keep getting that money. see were im going with this? its all about the mighty dollar.
just ask yourself this... when your child gets hits by a car, crashes his bycicle, whatever, and becomes paralized, would you be willing to donate the ambilical cord that was frozen from your childs birth to cure him/her? and we are talking about alot more than just what ive mentioned with spinal cord injuries. MS and other deseases are cureable, but we need the research to perfect it. stop thinking about yourselves and your wallet and start thinking about your children and thier better living. trust me, it sucks being paralized.

Wally_Gator
10-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Dammmmm Vic...
That was a powerful post.
Very true on everything you have to say.
One thing... The few that have their children's umbilical cord blood
preserved are only a fraction of a percent of the umbilical cord and placentas
that are thrown away every day (medically disposed of) The research companies would rather tap into the embryonic sources for a pure money reason. Higher yield for less money.
As a side note. My daughters stem cells that have been saved are there fro the sheer high occurrence of cancer in my wifes family. Additionally we have just found out that there may be a use for some of them to help my sister who is stricken with M.S.
They have recently been able to multiply stem cells. Somehow they stimulate existing ones to divide and multiply.
Victor, If there was a way to use my daughters cells and you were a match, they would be there for you.
Walter

victorfb
10-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Wow, thats awsome news Wally. MS is a terrible desease, and i know it can and will have a cure. sounds like you allready know the benefits of the stem cell research. i pray your sisters well being and full recovery and that your daughter will never develope the cancer that is in the family genes. your actions and concerns are indeed uplifting to the fact that its a small step that us as a human race can ensure a healthier and happier life for others than ourselves. your a true hero in my book.
your generousity of offering me your daughters (frozen) blood in the chance of a match, brings tears to my eyes. you may think its just a kind gesture and of course it is, but you are offering life. you really are, and to many that need it to survive, i applaud your generousity. i will infact be wanting to speak to you in detail about your actions as toni and i allready plan to do the same with our children. if theres a benefit in my case, so be it. but for the benefit of the children its a no brainer.
from the bottom of my heart Walter, i thank you. :) :) :)

victorfb
10-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Walter and Stephanie,
I hope that your daughters stem cells help or cure your sister as it is truly amazing how one small cell can make such a tremendous impact on anothers life. You are beautiful people for the offer and I cried when i got to these last few post. Yes, Victor is paralyzed but it is survivable at this time and I pray someday that there will be a cure for him also. But, until that day there is only RESEARCH!! We need more of it and the possiblities of my tax dollars going to work to provide someone, anyone with a brighter, healthier tomorrow is a fabulous thought and it brings a smile to my heart. God bless those who can see beyond themselves and into the eyes of a SURVIVOR, all from research. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister during this time of need, Walter.
Toni