PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Life Jackets

MudPumper
10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Todays L.A. Times
October 12, 2004
Going overboard?
Life vests save lives, but many sailors and boat makers balk at required jackets.
By Ashley Powers, Times Staff Writer
Hundreds of preventable drownings have prompted federal regulators to consider whether to require boaters to wear life vests, igniting a safety-versus-personal freedom debate akin to the clash over mandatory motorcycle helmets.
The National Transportation Safety Board recently held a forum in Virginia during which boating safety officials discussed new laws to make the use of life vests mandatory. Meanwhile, boating industry representatives blasted the government for meddling.
Transportation officials say that they are not proposing a life jacket law, only exploring the need for one.
Last year, 80% of the nation's 481 boating-related drowning victims, including 27 Californians, were not wearing life vests. While many states require children and personal watercraft users to wear vests, only one in five boaters routinely wears them, the U.S. Coast Guard reports.
"Sailors are an independent lot," said Gail Hine, chairwoman of the women's committee of the Southern California Yachting Assn. "You're not going to put on an over-the-collar flotation device. They're like sausages. They're designed to keep you afloat, not for doing things on your boat."
The results of a Michigan State University survey of about 4,000 boaters nationwide echo her concerns.
Eighty-six percent of respondents opposed a life jacket mandate. Most agreed that a skipper "can make his or her own decision" about wearing them. One-third of the respondents indicated they might go boating less often if forced to wear a life vest.
Meanwhile, a U.S. Coast Guard report describes a life jacket law as the "most effective" way to curb boating deaths.
Life jackets help boaters survive "cold shock" when they fall into frigid water. The Santa Cruz Yacht Club requires racers to wear life vests because its ocean temperatures in Monterey Bay can dip to 50 degrees.
Chris Woolaway, who studies boating safety and education for Hawaii Sea Grant, a federally funded program to promote ocean conservation, recalls rescue teams searching in vain for a fisherman after his empty boat was found off the archipelago.
"You get people who say [life jacket use] infringes on their personal freedom," says Fred Messmann, a past president of the National Assn. of State Boating Law Administrators, who asked the transportation board to hold the hearing. "The next time I have to tell a family their loved one is dead and say a life jacket could have prevented that, maybe they [opponents of life jacket laws] could accompany me."
In the meantime, state officials and the boating industry have agreed to redouble efforts to educate boaters about the dangers of water play without a vest.
Forty-three states call for boater education stressing life vest wear, and the Coast Guard requires boats to carry a life jacket for each passenger. National Safe Boating Council President Virgil Chambers advocates more boater education, though the council sponsors a safe boating week, public service announcements and slogans such as "Life Jackets Float, You Don't."
"They think you're asking them to put on a Titanic life vest," Chambers says. "That's what they see: You can't get a good tan, you can't enjoy yourself, you can't turn and see the wind and the waves with that ugly thing on your body."
Chambers recommends wider use of new life jackets that are lighter and more fashionable. They cost $12 to $15 and up. He says manufacturers can showcase sun-kissed passengers wearing life vests to advertise boats.
State boating law administrators aim to double life jacket use to 44% of boaters in three years through voluntary compliance. Failing that goal, they say they might pursue a mandatory life jacket law.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
This isa perfect example of boaters having to be organized aginst something. I'm not saying which way the baoting community needs to be, but it is a very good example of trying to participate in the process as opposed to just dealing with the repercussions.

spectratoad
10-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I would like to see one of those "fashionable" $12 - $15 jackets.
It should be boater choice. Once again government trying to tell us what to do. Let me make the choice. There are so many other things to worry about with boating that would lead up to the need for a jacket.
I probably don't need it until the dumba$$ drunk guy in the rental boat with his 14 friends onboard is the one that would lead me to need a lifejacket.
HEY GOVERNMENT!!!!! STAY OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!! I PAY MY TAXES, GO AWAY!!!! :mad: :mad:

ROZ
10-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I thought you said mammories for lifejackets :D

Second "PLACE"
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Interesting story. The fact that accidents keep happening on the river be it alcohol related or not, fuels the fire for life vest issue no doubt! The comparison of the California mandatory helmet law is a simmilar comparison and no doubt will create lots of debate. I personnaly would fight a law to make it mandatory to wear a life vest, wonder how many others would do the same.

Mrs Luvnlife
10-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I personnaly would fight a law to make it mandatory to wear a life vest, wonder how many others would do the same.
I'd fight it.......and end up selling the boats if it passed!! :mad:

switchin'addiction
10-12-2004, 12:49 PM
More of someone wanting to play mommy to all of us boaters!

CrazyHippy
10-12-2004, 02:27 PM
If i'm running more than 50mph or so, i wear one. It's not uncomfortable. I'm only in it for a short time. I would guess i'm 50% less likely to get "safety checked" if i have it on, as it shows i'm responsible (if they only knew :crossx: )
I dont think the govt should be making up laws over this, but it hink it's smart to wear them.
BJ(I dont drink while i'm on the water either)H

Kilrtoy
10-12-2004, 03:25 PM
I'd fight it.......and end up selling the boats if it passed!! :mad:
Yeah when the helmet law came out I sold my bike. Well helmets do save lives
and next year I will wear a life vest weather or not it is mandatory :wink:

cc322
10-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Does anybody know of a organazation that exsits to help boaters voice thier concerns and fight stuff like this? Something like surfrider foundation or tread lightly? or the ijsba. We need to get organized and show that most of us are curtious and responseable people with a voice that need to be herd, I really fill that some of our privlages will soon be taken away, maybe not now but it is comming. What do you think?