PDA

View Full Version : Pre season tune or After season tune?

NorCalCat
10-13-2004, 06:26 AM
What do you do for the tune up before the season. Do you winterize, oil change, tune ready for the next season. (Charge and go)
OR do you do the tune up before you go out at the BEGINING of the season?

1stepcloser
10-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Both really.
end of season is fresh oil in the drive, trim pump and motor, not really winterizing as I run the motor every month or so.
Beginning the season usually is fresh oil in the trim pump and motor, inspect engine alignment, replace distributor cap, rotor and plugs, checking and adjusting or replacing belts, rubber stuff or whatever else needs attention.

CrazyHippy
10-13-2004, 10:47 AM
What is this end of the season you talk of?
There is the Hot boating season, and the cool boating season. :p
BJH :rollside:

Rev. Williams
10-13-2004, 10:57 AM
What is this end of the season you talk of?
There is the Hot boating season, and the cool boating season. :p
BJH :rollside:
Exactly !!! When I bought my current boat, I saved it from the cold winters of Wisconsin and promised that I would never "winterize" her again :D :D
As for tune ups, it's all just year round maintanance.... Oil changes every few months and close inspections on disposable parts...ie; Plugs, wires, caps, belts etc....

Some Kind Of Monster
10-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Keep that sucker tuned year round. :D

Jetdriver
10-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Exactly !!! When I bought my current boat, I saved it from the cold winters of Wisconsin and promised that I would never "winterize" her again :D :D
As for tune ups, it's all just year round maintanance.... Oil changes every few months and close inspections on disposable parts...ie; Plugs, wires, caps, belts etc....
You should actually do some of these things Rev!

HCS
10-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Begining. I let it sit most of the winter because (it gets cold here). :p
I'll fire my boat up a couple times a winter just for good measure.
And I'll run it hard on New Years Day if the weather is right.

ratso
10-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Around these parts (Central Texas) we encourage having everything done at the end of the season, then when spring rolls around you top off your battery and head to the lake. We offer winterizing and de-winterizing. Funny how so many people around here wait until the day it is supposed to freeze and they call up all panicky to get their blocks drained etc etc...
The people that wait until spring are usually in for a long wait because they will bring their boat in the week before they want to use it, for the weekend coming up, and we are 3 to 4 weeks behind...tough luck bud.