PDA

View Full Version : INNERCOOLER DAMAGE ??? What Happened

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Hers a pic of the innercooler meltdown.The motor was running fine at 135 mph it just shut down and now you can see why ,the motor flooded with water ???? any ideas what caused it . The innercooler under this one was OK !! Thanks

Wally_Gator
10-13-2004, 11:07 AM
To my very untrained eyes, it looks like heat damage.
The discoloration is what I suspect... Compressed air is hot, hot enough?
Experts?

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 11:15 AM
I know there was a fire in there but what caused it !!!!??????????

RACER52
10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
that looks bad.
wonder if stacking the intercoolers has any effect on the heat build up before or as it pass's through
Racer

Boatmaster
10-13-2004, 11:38 AM
You know thats exactly what my George Foreman grill looked like after burning some snausages at the last Cat Attack! So as I see it you fell for the oldest trick in the book, someone slipped a snausage in your whipple pipe!!! :idea:

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 12:31 PM
You know thats exactly what my George Foreman grill looked like after burning some snausages at the last Cat Attack! So as I see it you fell for the oldest trick in the book, someone slipped a snausage in your whipple pipe!!! :idea:
Thats just the kind of statment I would expect from Wacker Lover !!!!!
Make sure theres a 55 gal drum there so ya all canmix some RITAS !!!

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
that looks bad.
wonder if stacking the intercoolers has any effect on the heat build up before or as it pass's through
Racer
Its not a heat build up as the charge would be cool as it goes through it had to be a Misfire or Backfire ,I have a video of the run and the motor sounded sweet ,there was a stainless water line to the cooler very close just above the coil ,all I can figure is it came in contact with the coil somehow.I have since rerouted it and checked all lines forpossible shorts and anything esle I could think of. ITS A MYSTERY

burtandnancy
10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
What was your EGT reading at 135 MPH? Are you lap-top tuning? Any black on your transom? Inquiring minds want to know...

HP350SC
10-13-2004, 01:02 PM
What was your EGT reading at 135 MPH? Are you lap-top tuning? Any black on your transom? Inquiring minds want to know...
2 toilets on top, no FI.

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 01:06 PM
? Whats EGT !!!!!! No lap tops here just a couple of 2lb coffee cans full of fuel !!!
Carbed 598 ,twin innercooled, no black I always run good fuel,I was on 110 fuel during all the test runs and timing was backed off. there was no warning at all had made at least 6 passes prior to this happening.

Turbojack
10-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Lets talk this thru. If the motor had backfired it would have had the spark/fire go thru two intercooler before it got to the top. In that case why would the fire be on the top between the blower & the intercooler. Why not below the intercooler or in the middle of them. If I remember correctly it takes aprox. 2k before copper melts. I don't think the blower puts out that kind of heat. even at 20lbs of boost. So the only explanation is a fire raged on in there. Now the big question is what started it? Could a part of the blower came apart & caused the spark?

Rock-it man
10-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Lets talk this thru. If the motor had backfired it would have had the spark/fire go thru two intercooler before it got to the top. In that case why would the fire be on the top between the blower & the intercooler. Why not below the intercooler or in the middle of them. If I remember correctly it takes aprox. 2k before copper melts. I don't think the blower puts out that kind of heat. even at 20lbs of boost. So the only explanation is a fire raged on in there. Now the big question is what started it? Could a part of the blower came apart & caused the spark?
Thats what I thought at first but since that happened I replaced the innercoolers and ran it at the Hot Boat Mag Poker Run at Havasu Oct 1-2 we ran it all the way to havasu Springs at a pretty good clip average was over 100 mph but never got over 5000 rpm,still thats a long run of 20 or so miles and the water was rough as he$$. I really checked everything Fri when I make the trip to Havasu Springs for lunce for a test run and all checked out so still dont really know what could have caused the fire ,I would think that the fire would follow the fuel up to above the innercoolers and the Blower pressure would increase the heat untill the water came in,it happened so fast it couild not have taken more than a few seconds to happen as I was running at 135mph and all of a sudden the engine just shut down with no prior warning,misfire or anything.