PDA

View Full Version : bought first jet boat need info

checkin
09-15-2001, 10:17 PM
just drug this thing home tonight its been sitting a a barn for 4 years. its a checkmate, convincer its a open bow (color is gold metal flake faded into black metal flake, paint is mint) (don't know the year or length yet i think around 20' he lost title). its 460 powered(blown up thats why its been parked for so long) berkley pump it has a electric (what i would call trim, what would this be called?)
what needs to be done to the pump before running? i have a 460 that i built for my truck that i'm going to run for now.
has anyone had or have one of these boats? any thing i should do before sliding it in the mighty mississippi. thanks for any replies D.J.

Hustler
09-15-2001, 11:03 PM
What you would call trim is accualy what is more comonlly known as a place diverter. 1) make sure the pump has grease( in other words pump some grease into every zerk fitting. 2) if you are trying to save some money it sounds likes your 460 for the truck could get you by, now I'm no expert at this but from my experiance's I beleive ther is a defferance between auto cams and marine cam's( some one could jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif 3) Emeron Emeron Emeron
Good luck with the boat, just keep in mind the defanition of B.O.A.T Break Out Another Thousand. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy44.gif
Hustler
[This message has been edited by Hustler (edited September 16, 2001).]

Rat Raft
09-16-2001, 06:19 AM
Remove the small pipe plugs on each side of the bowl and fill with 90wt. Squirt in one side till it runs out the other. Grease the front bearing with good HP gun grease. Check all the hoses ect. when you replace the motor. Put brass freeze plugs in your truck engine while you have it out. Make sure the reverse and steering cables are in good shape and not stuck then go to the lake & make a checkout run to check for leaks. You should be good to go then.
Welcome to the fun world of Jetting

Cas42
09-16-2001, 08:48 AM
I think I'd go a little beyond what the others have said. Since it's been sitting for 4 years, I'd replace all the cooling hoses for sure. I'd flush out the exhaust manifolds, check all the wiring and connections. Rats love the insulation on the wires. As RR said, make sure the steering moves freely and the forward reverse moves easily. I'd then give the pump a real good looksy and while the motor is out, see if you're able to rotate the pump a couple of times.
How's the trailer? Wheel bearings and seals in good shape? Wiring all good?
Being it sat for 4 years, even in a barn, I'd be giving everything a once over before stickin it in a river.

checkin
09-16-2001, 07:08 PM
thanks for the info everyone. just pulled the old motor out. the motor that was in the boat is a front sump oil pan. is this what is supposed to be there. (i would think there should be a rear sump because thats were the oil would be most of the time) what kind of exaust gaskets are the best for the boat? the steering is froze (where are the best prices for new cables) all the other cables seem good.
the pump turns over ok, its tight though. should it have quite a bit of resistance?
if not what could it be.
thanks again everyone D.J.

Bajajet
09-17-2001, 01:00 PM
Hey checkin,
Keokuk huh, Mississippi huh, well I'm in Cedar Falls. A group of us were just at the 'ole Miss this weekend shootin' roosters and passing Bass Buggies. We were up by McGregor Ia though. A little north of you. Good luck with the Checkmate maybe we will meet up some time.
Craig

froggystyle
09-17-2001, 03:19 PM
Check your fuel lines really well for cracks as well. Water lines may sink you, but that beats a fire!
Also, this sounds like a no-brainer, but make sure you take a really really good look at the bilge the first time you have it in the water. Freeze plugs, water lines, tee's, fittings, pumps, etc... can all leak bad. This may or may not bring the boat to the bottom, but just make sure you know what you are up against right when you launch it. It is never a bad idea to take a quick look whenever you get on the water, or at least run the bilge right away...

squirt
09-17-2001, 03:36 PM
I too purchased a boat that sat around since '97. I replaced water and fuel lines, bildge line, cleaned electrical connections, changed all fluids, and checked cables. All These things are done for very little cost (maybe 80.00 max)and will prevent alot of headaches. Good luck Don
ps pump shouldn't have much resistance should spin easy by hand. Check bowl oil(90wt) it's possible water was in bowl and got to the bushings. If so you can fix easy and if your pump is a berk. parts are cheap as long as there is no bowl damage

checkin
09-17-2001, 07:56 PM
hey everyone thanks for the info again. i'm slowly figureing this jet boat out. i've only owned outboard and i/o boats so this is a new ball game for me.
as for the pump it spins by hand fine its just kinda tight (which is good i think?)
took the motor apart today and its blown up bad! the log style manifolds (aluminum) didn't have any gaskets is this normal?
i plan on putting in a new bilge pump, hoses and hose-clamps
what needs to be done if anything to the pump shaft seal, in the transom( i don't even know if thats what its called)?
Bajajet next summer i'd like to come up and boat with some fellow jetters there are none down here anymore( thats kinda why i wanted one) i havent been on the river past davenport will talk more about it later if it runs good(that was a fun trip the locks got kinda old though)

rstover1
09-17-2001, 08:20 PM
I've always used silicone copper for log gaskets if you use an automotive type(metal ones) it can cause the alum manifolds to warp use silicone.Also evry bbf I've seen in a boat had the front sump pan I guess cause the pick up is in the front my old boat and my dads boat had 460s as far as I know its normal. Make sure to grease that front thrust bearing really well before you take it out.I grease mine before every outing
[This message has been edited by rstover1 (edited September 17, 2001).]

Bajajet
09-18-2001, 09:52 AM
Checkin,
Sounds great get that Checkmate running and we will go roostin' next summer. We are continually doing the restoration thing on our antique. Shoot me an email if I can help.
bajajet@email.com
Here is an adress that may interest you. http://ats-inc.net/bajajet/BajaRJB.htm
Craig