PDA

View Full Version : Clothing company owners / Online retailers?

MOBrien
10-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone,
Sorry to bog everyone down with a thread not relating to our love of being on the water, but I have to begin my research somewhere and figured this just might be a good forum since we all have some common ground....boating.
Q: Are there any folks in here that have established themselves and currently own their own clothing companies that would be willing to speak with me about their obstacles, successes, and failures in starting their businesses? I've got a vision to create a new clothing venture beginning with a "direct to consumer" online store and would love to speak with anyone established in the industry. I'd also like to hear from those of you that operate non-clothing related online businesses to gain perspective on best practices in utilizing the internet in a retail capacity ie. trademarks, copyrights, order fullfillment, costs, marketing, etc...
My concept is purely that at this point, a concept. But I truly believe in it and have tremendous desire in bringing it to life sometime next year. Planning is everything when going into business for oneself and your knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated should you have the time to share your experiences.
Thank you in advance & please send a PM if you're open & willing to speak with me further. I am happy to call you back for direct discussion on my dime.
Regards,
Mike O'Brien :clover:

MOBrien
10-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Anyone?
Wrong time of day for this post?

lurid
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Try user id Unleashed he owns a Unleashed Clothing

Tequila-John
10-13-2004, 02:16 PM
If your looking for an Investor let me know.

superdave013
10-13-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't sell clothing but do sell online. The link to my site is in my sig.
Copyrights and trademakes are not a big deal for what I'm selling. Web hosting is cheep. I use J&J host. The new owner Chirs has been very helpfull so I am really happy with J&J right now.
The only online marketing I do is with google. They charge by the click and you can set the price you're willing to pay per click and the max you want to spend per day. Also what words to key on is up to you. Takes a little playing around with to get it down so you are getting the best bang for the buck.
Order fullfillment, again that's easy. Don't sell what ya don't already have. The hard part is keeping the inventory stocked without over stocking. But my stuff does not go out of style or date so it will sell sooner of later.
You'll need to get set up to take credit cards. That will cost you around 3% (max) if you don't have the card in hand to swipe. It's around 1.5% or so if you do swipe the card.
I ship UPS or USPS most of the time. You can print out your own UPS lable and drop your box off at ANY place that has daily UPS pick up or run it down to their main service center. We has daily pick up at my day job so it's real easy for me.
If I may ask, why clothing? Seems like everyone and their brothers have a clothing company. At least in Orange County, CA it does.

MOBrien
10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Unleashed, are you out there?

roostwear
10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Seems like everyone and their brothers have a clothing company. At least in Orange County, CA it does.
No shiit, huh? :D

Mandelon
10-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Find fashion companies that have gone public......after two years, short their stocks.....you will make more money $$$. :frown:

CJ
10-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I use J&J host. The new owner Chirs has been very helpfull so I am really happy with J&J right now.
Happy to hear Chris is doing a good job . . . and sorry for the short time the guy who took over JNJHost from me screwed things up. Great luck with your hosting and if you ever have any questions, feel free to email me. I have nothing to do with JNJHost anymore, just want to make sure all of my old clients find their way successfully.