PDA

View Full Version : Water pump vs crossover?

bigd1
10-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Can somebody explain the differences of a crossover versus a standard water pump? Advantages?
Thanks!

75spectra
10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
It takes about 20 to 30 horspower to drive the waterpump and the crossover also weighs a whole bunch less. Biggest hassle... finding the best lenght belts with the pulley gone :confused:

bigd1
10-17-2004, 05:21 AM
That part I got but I'm even more clueless than that. What replaces the water pump's force in moving water throughout the engine?

Craig
10-17-2004, 07:25 AM
The water pump you associate with a car is really a recirculation pump on a boat. The seawater pump is what gets the water to the motor. I guess on the boat, it takes some of the cool water, sucks it back through the thermostat by-pass and the by-passed water makes another pass through the motor. This would appear to enable the water to get up a little more in temperature. I know on most blown boats, the recirc pump is removed so the water stays cool all the time. My temp gauge hardly moves. I did though put on an oil thermostat to allow the oil to get warm enough to burn off residual mosuture.

dtr352
10-19-2004, 07:46 AM
What are the benifits of a crossover. Right now I have the water inlet hose that t's under the oil pan and then the two hoses run to either side of the motor. Why would a crossover be better for this.

superdave013
10-19-2004, 08:30 AM
What are the benifits of a crossover. Right now I have the water inlet hose that t's under the oil pan and then the two hoses run to either side of the motor. Why would a crossover be better for this.
It wouldn't as you did pretty much the same thing. It's just a clean way to do in on most I/O powered boats.

franky
10-20-2004, 06:11 AM
For those of you with late model motors with the serpentine belt, I make a crossover with an idler pulley on it so you can retain the stock belt configuration. Its all stainless with a bilet aluminum pulley.