PDA

View Full Version : ? for old rigger or any that can answer

mario
12-19-2001, 12:35 PM
I have a 28 ft. Hawaiian in the garage sitting on blocks is there any thing to worrie about in dammaging the bottom or creating hook if I leave it on blocks all winter. It is supported at the back corners and also 6 ft. forward on both sides and in the front about where your first roller would hit if it were sitting on the trailer.
Don't want to create any more work.
Mario

old rigger
12-19-2001, 04:40 PM
Mario,
Jesus, that's a hell of a garage you got there.
I think you've done all you can to set the boat up right to prevent damage to the bottom. The boat is out of the sun in a nice cool spot, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's far more important to make sure the boat sits on the trailer properly. Contrary to some advice that was given out on another thread,(in my opinion) the wood bunks on a trailer will not conform to the bottom of the boat. Just the opposite is true. The bottom will distort if the bunk pads are not properly fit to the hull.
Also, always make sure they, the bunk pads, extend past the transom by an inch or so. Sounds like a silly thing but it will help prevent adding some hook.
Crappy lamination schedule, crappy intake installation by the rigger, crappy, poor fitting trailers. These will always cause hook to a boat bottom.

mario
12-19-2001, 06:05 PM
Thanks Old Rigger, I just didn't want to make things worse. I have replaced all 26 brackets on the trailer frame but I have not put the new boards on yet. I will yeld your advice and leave the new boards longer to come past the transom. If you tkink of any more tips let me know its gonna be a long winter but at least I working inside. Lucked out on the garage it came with the house.
Thanks again.
Mario

HBjet
12-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Old Rigger, did you say on another thread you used to work at Warlock? If so (or not) what do you know, or have heard about HTM's original SR24 tunnel being a legit splash from a Warlock SXT 28' tunnel. I know the bottoms are not identical, but if you chop off a few feet, make the sponsons a little wider and give a just a little more freeboard, is that considered a splash, at least with the foundation of the Warlock 28' to start with, verses tooling a wood plug from scratch?
Thanks
HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited December 19, 2001).]

Havasu Hangin'
12-20-2001, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by HBjet:
If so (or not) what do you know, or have heard about HTM's original SR24 tunnel being a legit splash from a Warlock SXT 28' tunnel.
Oh boy, HBBayliner, here we go again..
The splash police are in effect...
http://www.***boat.net/alert.gif
Why isn't the prop on the front of the outdrive?
Originally posted by HBjet:
I know the bottoms are not identical, but if you chop off a few feet, make the sponsons a little wider and give a just a little more freeboard, is that considered a splash...
So it's a little wider, a little shorter, different bottom, and a little taller...hmmmm...
OK...since they're both FIBERGLASS, it must be a splash...
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

rivercrazy
12-20-2001, 09:13 AM
Isn't it HBHTM???? You crack me up HBJ

old rigger
12-20-2001, 09:30 AM
HBjet,
Yes I worked for Warlock. At the time I was there it was quite possibly the most unorganized shop on the face of the planet. Tom Stolarz was no longer with the company and the owner then was some gun manufacture in Texas. He thought it might be fun to own a boat shop. I only saw the guy 2 times in the 2 years that I was there. It was almost surreal the way the shop functioned. All the people in charge were bean counters and knew absolutly nothing about boats. I'm talking about the higher ups, not the guys out in the shop. The place had no leadership, no common goal for building boats, no sence of direction. I felt they were riding on whatever reputation that Tom had built. Most guys there were there only for a paycheck, and knowing the owner had deep pockets, milked it for all it was worth. These people in charge were supposedly friends of this owner from Texas and were screwing him at every oppertunity. It was funny in a way and I don't see how anything ever got done. They had boss's kids in there doing the wiring on these high dollar boats or installing the upholstery, and they shouldn't have been there.
On the other hand, it was about the nicest facilty I had the pleasure of working in, meaning the shop itself. Lots of room, machine shop, Sunray upholstery was housed in there. Don Kirby was running the glsss shop, and had some very good laminators working for him. He was tooling up new hulls year round. The place had a lot of pluses, but I never saw it get on any course.
I don't know who own's them now. I think the name Warlock has gone through more than one owner since I was there.
To answer you question, I don't know anything about HTM, or the orgins of there boats. I do know this, people who's knowledge of boats that I respect, that have experence with HTM, have nothing but outstanding things to say about them.