PDA

View Full Version : People over 35 should be dead

MagicMtnDan
10-14-2004, 06:00 AM
People over 35 should be dead.
Here's why ...
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)
As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Horrors! We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
NO CELL PHONES!!!!!
Unthinkable!
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.
We had friends!
We went outside and found them.
We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.
We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
They were accidents.
No one was to blame but us.
Remember accidents?
We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.
Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.
Horrors!
Tests were not adjusted for any reason.
Our actions were our own.
Consequences were expected.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law.
Imagine that!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
And you're one of them!

racecar.hotshoe
10-14-2004, 06:05 AM
Its like we must be super heros......... :idea: :D

spectratoad
10-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Man I am really feeling sore now. :p

Keithb87
10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I had a conversation a wile back with some younger family members. They just graduated last year and were talking about Security Guards on the High School.. They could not believe that I did not have any Security Guards to deal with. (I graduated in 1987) They asked what happened if there was a fight? I told them that the teacher(s) or staff that caught it broke it up. Then you went to the Principal's office and got your punishment. Then they would call home and inform your parents what went on... and when you got home you got your punishment again..
They could not believe it.. :skull:

riverracerx
10-14-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm only 34. We had Atari 2600. :shift:

HCS
10-14-2004, 09:53 AM
We lived in freedom not communism.

jtmarten
10-14-2004, 09:58 AM
How true!!! And how sad the way things are now. I'm fortunate to live 20+ miles from town. If I still lived in town I'd never let my kids go out and play without me watching over them all the time. Even out here I have to remind myself that I grew up out in the country and survived and have to let the kids go out with their friends and experience life.
"We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes," So true; I have a good friend that never even fired up his boat this year because he had to play x-box online every weekend... pretty pathetic for a 38 year old!! :eek: I don't see him much anymore because I'm out enjoying the sun and water, and he's sitting on the couch with a headset on. :hammerhea

hoolign
10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm only 34. We had Atari 2600. :shift:
we were yakkin about pong the other day..man do I feeel old
:burningm:

switchin'addiction
10-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for this thread! I just took a trip down memory lane, something I hadn't done it quite some time!

Excessive Force
10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
kids nowadays are just lazy!!

Pie Man
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
How things have changed.
Grew up in Anaheim Hills, used to ride our beach cruisers all the way on the Santa ana river trail to Newport & Huntington. These days, I wont let my kids out of my sight. Used to camp up in the hills above where Thrifty's is on Santa Ana Canyon road & Imperial is before all that was built. Used to hang out with some of the Yorba clan up there. I was only 10 to 12 years old. Now days have to worry about every creep out there. Sure wouldnt want to be a kid now.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Costa Mesa High....Class of 1979!
I remember being a teen and riding my bike down to Newport Pier with my buddies to fish all night....
Tent camping in your back yard.......
Playing Army with every kid for blocks around......With real looking M16's
Potato launchers !!!!!
Mini bikes......
White Front department store's......
Highway 39 Drive In.......yea.....Drive In Movies ;)
Cooks Corner was in the middle of NOWHERE!!
Man things have changed....... :frown:
CJG

Keith E. Sayre
10-14-2004, 04:11 PM
In addition to all of this, the other problem is us parents. We don't seem to
teach our children the importance of "taking responsibility for our own actions"
and in todays world of litigation and ambulance chasing lawyers, NOONE
seems to take responsibility for their own actions. This single thing along with all of the previously mentioned concerns will be very detrimental to our
next generations to come. Seems like a shame. Good thread subject.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

MagicMtnDan
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Now this is funny! Someone gave me a red chiclet for posting this thread!
Maybe they didn't read the post and just gave me the negative points because of the thread title? ("People over 35 should be dead?")
People really are too funny :confused: :shift:

burtandnancy
10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
MagicDan, you must be my long, lost brother. I have to go along with you 100%. But my own kids are raising my grandkids so differently that I can't believe we came from the same planet. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that I can relate to with my grandkids (other than they are good looking like grandma). In fact, she's babysitting tonite, and will come home with horror stories. Still like 'em all tho...

Kim Hanson
10-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm 43 and still looking as young as I did 20 yrs ago, I think I'm pickling myself. It works and I live on the Crazy ( Stupid ) Side, I don't think what can happen till it does! Then try to get out of it :D
Wife ( Marcy ) keep's telling me to grow up someday, I ask when is that day going to happen?.........( . )( . )..........