PDA

View Full Version : Lightning picklefork

smokin
09-19-2001, 02:23 PM
hi guys I just bought a 1995 lightning thunderbolt I don't no much about them the guy told me he thought it was copy of a elimminator heres what happen ran it about 5 times and it spun a rod bearing bummer I took it to the shop.It had manley alliumin rods nice but I don't think their for jet boats.I thought mise well build a sroker motor.it was 427bbc 30 over tall deck 13.8.1 compression alot of nice stuff in the motor dart 360 alliumim 2.300 int 188 ext dart tunnel ram 1050 bary grant carbs roller cam unidenified. 10 qt pan now eagle h beam rods ross racing pistons 13.1 eagle 4.250 crank comp roller 748 lift 292 duration and new springs it ran 90+ before hopeing to gian 10+ mph any advice would be nice.. I now I should have supercharged it.

Hustler
09-19-2001, 02:48 PM
just a question, but why did you put new rods in if you just spun a bearing? sounds like a nice ride. has it had any pump work done? what kind of rpm's are you pulling.
Hustler

smokin
09-19-2001, 03:27 PM
hustler well i would have had to buy 1 or 2 rods. another one was ready spin. and thats maybe why. they were about had it. besides while I had it down i'd just make it bigger. not fast enough. yea its got domminator pump stainless b/c impeller droop snoot 4 degrees wedge ride plate custom intake grate blue printed bottom. no placedivter people tell me that it would slow me down they say if the pump is set right that is better. i dont now I like to get one just because there cool but dont want to lose speed. it also has msd crank trigger msd pro billet dist msd7ml box it turned 5500 before. the mech said that my springs were shot. thats why it olny turned that. dont realy now what else to do.thanks for reply
[This message has been edited by smokin (edited September 19, 2001).]

smokin
09-19-2001, 04:40 PM
[This message has been edited by smokin (edited September 19, 2001).]

froggystyle
09-19-2001, 10:05 PM
A diverter will definitely not slow you down, except maybe the extra 20 lbs you add to the boat. A lot of racers use them, and they generally don't add parts to slow them down or for looks. They really help a pickel air out too.

smokin
09-20-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by froggystyle:
A diverter will definitely not slow you down, except maybe the extra 20 lbs you add to the boat. A lot of racers use them, and they generally don't add parts to slow them down or for looks. They really help a pickel air out too.

smokin
09-20-2001, 12:48 PM
foggystlye, yea I had a tx19 youngblood it had a droop snoot and the guy from midwest marine told me it would slow me down. i don't think so. the pump wasn't set back in that boat.but the guy i sold it to put one on i no it helped that boat.do you no which one is the best.they make different ones. a race one i'm shure. and nozzel sizes smaller is for more speed right.thanx froggy Smokin

flat broke
09-20-2001, 01:42 PM
Smokin,
Sounds like there may be some confusion between the PD and the Droop.
Place Diverter=adjustable trim, doesnt change the depth of the thrust line
Droop=no adjustable trim, depending on the model have different amounts of up fixed trim on them, and do lower the thrust line.
Chris

smokin
09-20-2001, 02:21 PM
flatbroke, yea I no the differance between droop and a PD a PD is adjustable but if you have a droop and a wedge you can get the boat to ride out of the water too.you need to adjust it so the boat rides on the rear. last 1ft to ft1/2 you can ajust a placediverter too much and you will loose speed its a fine line thats my thoughts. you can shoot a big rooster tail but thats not going to make you any faster huh
[This message has been edited by smokin (edited September 20, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by smokin (edited September 20, 2001).]

flat broke
09-21-2001, 08:02 AM
Agreed that too much up on the nozzle will definitely make you run slower. I prefer the idea of a place over a wedge for adjustability. With the place you can set stops on your linkage so you don't pull too far up during a race. But in defense of the wedge its only $30 8-) You can do a lot of tinkering with wedges for 1/4 of what a diverter costs. Either way if it was me I would take the place so I can trim down in rougher water and pulling skiers, but thats my application and doesn't mean it should be everyone elses.
Chris

smokin
09-21-2001, 09:08 AM
flatbroke, should i get rid of the 4 degree wedge when i put on a placediverter or not? i dont pull skiers but to stop porpus would be nice while cruising and rough water i burn that racing fuel. pulling skiers would be a waste. craig besides I don't no anybody that would ski behind my boat...

flat broke
09-21-2001, 01:21 PM
Smokin,
If you are currently running a 4 degree wedge with the droop, then you might have around 8 degrees of lift total. If this is the case, I think I might start the tuning process with the wedge removed, then if you feel you would like to unwet the boat more than the PD will allow, you might add the wedge. Having never ridden in your boat, its just a guess, but that's the method of attack I would use.
Chris

jetboatjake
09-21-2001, 02:21 PM
Seems like a good spot to ask this question.Lets say you have a droop and a diverter.I am thinking if you add a wedge you are in effect changing your thrust angle or point.ANGLE would be controlled by the diverter however would not the wedge RAISE the thrust POINT? I DUNNO
Rob(hoping this makes a little sense)
[This message has been edited by jetboatjake (edited September 21, 2001).]