PDA

View Full Version : need a little help with ID theft prob

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
somebody created an SBC telephone account in my name and social, to an address I've never lived at. Knew nothing of it until it went to collections, now some collection agency is calling me wanting to collect on something I don't owe...What do I do?

ULTRA28
04-13-2006, 04:23 PM
somebody created an SBC telephone account in my name and social, to an address I've never lived at. Knew nothing of it until it went to collections, now some collection agency is calling me wanting to collect on something I don't owe...What do I do?
Pay the bill so they don't turn my phone off.

Phat Matt
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice!
I would expect nothing less from here. :D

LHC30Victory
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Make a Police report to your local agency - they are required to take the report per 530.6PC (in Cal) so dont let them give ya any crap about that.
Then, take that report number and make a fraud notice to all three credit bureaus......
Tell the collections agency that you have done this, that the bill was a fraud account and if they call you again, you will collect damages for them violating the law.

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Make a Police report to your local agency - they are required to take the report per 530.6PC (in Cal) so dont let them give ya any crap about that.
Then, take that report number and make a fraud notice to all three credit bureaus......
Tell the collections agency that you have done this, that the bill was a fraud account and if they call you again, you will collect damages for them violating the law.
what if I am in either NV or AZ and the account was in CA?
will they still take the report for me?

thesunking
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey dude,
Try this link, it helped us out a lot. http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/con_file.htm#victim
We got burned last year during Veterans Day Weekend. Applied for credit at Best Buy and somehow our ID's ended up in the "black market" business. I can't prove it was BB (their store clerk who ran our credit app). Anyway, these thugs are paying top dollar to high school, college students working part time at retail stores that have access to your information and are exchanging for cash in the parking lot.
Shoot me a PM and I'll I give you more details on how it works. We went through HELL for a month receiving credit cards with maxed out accounts on same day credit given at retail stores. Shiat, I even got a Verizon wireless statement with two active lines and with most calls being made to Southern Arizona.
It gets better, I have a Sams Credit Card with the picture of the guy on the back who opened a account in Carson and maxed it out for 5 grand in one day.
As long as the person has the following, they can create a fake ID:
Full Name
Address
Social Security number and apply for credit with your name at any given retail outlet
What worked in our favor with the paper trail is that they didn't have our correct DOB's and Drivers License numbers.
Local Law Enforcement only took down a report and did not act on any leads. I'll give you one example, after we placed fraud alerts, I got a phone call from Radio Shack in Corona verifying that I was applying for credit and I said NO, that was not me. After hanging up I got Corona PD on the phone and dispatch would not even roll on the call? GO FIGURE!

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 04:45 PM
shiat if I knew it was yours I'd have just paid it in the first place

Mohave Vice
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Dan,
Call me. You have my number.
Steve

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Dan,
Call me. You have my number.
Steve
I will...I'm at work for another hour

MagicMtnDan
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Simple, just open an SBC account in that guy's name and run up his bill!

SoCalSouthpaw
04-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Since having my truck stolen with several personal documents that were in it, I am going to check this service out. Good for monitoring your credit score too. Hope this helps.
http://www.identityguard.com/home.asp

LHC30Victory
04-13-2006, 05:47 PM
what if I am in either NV or AZ and the account was in CA?
will they still take the report for me?
Probably not, I suspect that the other nearby states have similar laws and remedies. Even without a report, call the credit agencies.

ThongMagnet
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
It is very easy to do this, as I have been through it. A past employer used SSN as employee #s. A co-worker with a drug problem grabbed the on-call list with the employee #'s address's, and Phones, and went to work. In three months he had opened up 63 accounts (mastercards, Visa's, and Department stores) two of which were mine. The total was $55K (mine equal to $3500). I was lucky that it happened to 15 other co-workers at the same time, so my employer picked up the cost of hiring an attorney to straighten it all out. It took over a year.

77charger
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
They are a pain in the ass i had the same thing happen to me.except they used my name they had no ss number.They wanted me to get another police report in addition to the one i had from a previous id theft within past 2 months.The collcetion agency was in nor cal.Cant remember the ladies name i had to deal with total bitch acted like nothing was acceptable to her.No SS i blew it off.She even said they cant do nothing about it just going by a name.

andy01
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Call me 310-480-4285
Andy

dmontzsta
04-13-2006, 08:11 PM
I am glad I saw this thread. It seems I have a $2,500 Verizon bill now??? yeah, it just showed up on my credit card, ****ing irritating.
I have only sent in a dispute form with the creditors so far, what else should I do?

dmontzsta
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
You been calling those 1900 Laker fan numbers again? :D
Actually I am a HUGE American Idol fan, Clay Aikin is my favorite.
:)

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Call me 310-480-4285
Andy
when's good?

andy01
04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
when's good?
Now, tomorrow when ever. I'll be up till 10:30 tonight. Other wise call me early in the morning I will be on the road and have nothing but time........ but when ever you want man.

HocusPocus
04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
a very simular thing happened to me a few months back.. only it was a t-mobile account. i made a police report and sent it to t-mobile... it took a few weeks but it was eventually removed from my credit report.
also i got a copy from all reporting agencies to see what inquires were done that i didn't do. then called each company to see if they had any accounts under my name.
i also went to each reporting agency and added a fraud protection thing they have in place that is free. it just requires additional info and photo id before someone can open an account.

IN2-IN2MX
04-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Sorry Dan...I have nothing constructive to add except that this sucks and I hope it gets straightened out for you quickly.

Ryphraph
04-13-2006, 11:44 PM
You could always wheel up to the house where the phone service was used, bang the door down, and tear the phone out of the wall.
Afterall you're paying for it. :rollside:
Ryph

Big Bear
04-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey Dan, last trip to Havi I lost my wallet so I better keep a close eye on my credit reports. Really sucks!!! Nothing has happened so far with my credit cards, all are now replaced with new numbers. What scares me the most is my SS card was in there, I know you shouldn't carry it but what's done is done. With luck the cash, about $340 was pulled and the wallet was tossed. Keep me posted on anything you find out and anything that might be helpful to me. Take care man.....
Robey