PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations on a new boat

bfab33
10-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Hi, my name is Bill.
This this the first time I've ever posted anything on this forum. I would thank anyone for some information on this subject.
I'm thinking of buying a new custom boat, and would like to know what is a reasonable amount to start negotiating with that is below the set price?
The boat I'm looking at is approximately $70,000. Since, I've only owned used boats; I don't know where to start. How much should I ask off the boat $1000.00, $5000.00, $10,000.00 ?
Any advice that anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

HOOTER SLED-
10-15-2004, 10:37 PM
First of all, welcome. You know you got the L.A. boat show coming up soon. That's a good start. I always make it a habit to walk around and just ask the same questions(even if I know the answers to some). You can at least get a feel for what the builders are like. $70,000 is a good start. You could get alot of boat for that much $$$$. Depends on what you are looking for too of course. Start to narrow that down first. Good luck. I'm sure the winter would be a better time to maybe negotiate with these guys until the boat show.

CJ
10-15-2004, 10:49 PM
I have a new boat in the mold, my second new one, but have little experience negotiating for one. I got lucky on my last deal and was in the right place I guess. I will make sure to show Bob and Eliminator my appreciation.
I believe there is lots of room for negotiation. I just suggest that you look at a couple of boats you are interested in, get prices then tell the salesman you will go elsewhere if you don't get what you want. Don't get too greedy . . . and I don't necessarily know what is too greedy. I bet they have a profit of around $20-30k in that boat.
This is a good question as it should empower buyers. Do your research and ask a lot of questions here and in other forums. There are MANY experiences out there. Search the forums for the manufacturer, agent and specific boat. Find everything you can. There will be bad experiences with many manufacturers as I have found first hand. Collect all these stories, ask the manufacturers about them, take what they say as a sale pitch and then make an EDUCATED choice on what you end up purchasing.
$70k is a lot to spend on a toy. Get the right information. Ask the right questions. GET IT IN WRITING! If you do all this, you will never second guess your purchase and every dollar will be well spent.
Great luck in your purchase! :clover: You are on the right road by being here. Make sure you keep us advised of your progress.

RUCAV
10-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Ask alot of questions on these boards. Alot of knowledge here. Dont get too attached to a boat so you can walk away if the boat manufacturer wont work with you. There are alot of goods boats out there for that kind of money. If your gonna be out on Havasu on the weekends, I would consider going no smaller than a 24'. That I.M.H.O.

phebus
10-16-2004, 05:50 AM
I've found that it is easier to negotiate options into the sale price, than it is to talk down the price.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Bill,
Check your PM's......
CJG

WUTWZAT
10-16-2004, 07:19 AM
For $70,000.00 which boat and builder are you looking at. It might not be how much you can negotiate that boat down but what other special features you want added for that price before taking delivery. One thing to do is to find out what models that dealer / builder will have at the boat show. They really like to be able to tell people, well this one is sold but we can build you something similar. Hence the custom boat. But you may be able to get a huge discount if your buyt the boat they plan on having at the show that everyone is going to drool over and fondle. And then you have the ability to tell everyone, yeah thats the bad boy that was at the 2004 L.A. boat show......
I personally would first see if their is anything in the world I would liked changed. Then find out what that is worth and would cost, then add about $5000.00 to that number. And while negotiating the price bring up the changes you want made, for example a silentenced exhaust system that can be changed to a loud system with the push of a button or pull of a handle, might come in handy at the zoo.
Just some ideas......
Jason

Tequila-John
10-16-2004, 07:44 AM
We have a 26th Cobra Razor being built right now. I got a couple "FREE" upgrades but didn't really work on the price. I think Cobra builts a great boat. But I would really take this advice. Ask questions and look around. Gather up the prices. Compare what you get for the price. You will be shocked... Best of luck and welcome.

bfab33
10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I want a 25' to 27' cuddy open bow with a 496 HO. These are the ones I'm thinking of..
1. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
2. 26' Eliminator Eagle Xp
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock

Parker Dreamin
10-16-2004, 01:22 PM
I want a 25' to 27' cuddy open bow with a 496 HO. These are the ones I'm thinking of..
1. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock
We are waiting on our 26 Cobra Razor....... I would check them out for yourself as well.

BajaMike
10-16-2004, 01:36 PM
1. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock
That looks like a pretty good list to me. There are a lot of guys on here that know the West Coast custom boats pretty well.
Maybe some of you could put that list in order of:
Quality...
Price...
I don't know them that well, but it would be interesting to see what people think.
:hammerhea

Tequila-John
10-16-2004, 01:39 PM
1. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock
Do yourself a favor and go check out Corba. I see you are thinking about there 26 ft Razor. Killer boat. Check threads but. ...

DryHeatOnly
10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the boards Bill.
Be sure to get a test ride on those boats. 3' chop would be a good test ;)

Kilrtoy
10-16-2004, 03:39 PM
With your choices and that power
the biggest and true 25, Shockwave and power Shockwave
frenchies 25 with a 496
took out some others in the same class with the blue motors....

SHOTKALLIN
10-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Is any one able to list these in order of quality? I'm curious to know a ranking order and price on these boats with th 496 h.o.
My popcorn is ready with extra butter.

bfab33
10-16-2004, 07:31 PM
What are your guy's thoughts Caliber 1 250 Xcelerator?

Troubles No More
10-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Just for fun , drive up to Santa Clarita ande talk to Gene at Howard Boats. It could add to your list of boats....my .02

BajaMike
10-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok, I will try...but I know a lot of others here have better info then i do...but here goes.....my un-educated guess, based on what my friends have said....
Rated by quality:
1. 26' Eliminator Eagle Xp
2. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock (I know nothing about this boat...sorry?)
Rated by price....probably about the same order...but as i said....I don't know these boats as well as a lot of guys here.
The only one I have driven is the 25' Shockwave Tremor with the 496 HO (ShockwaveTom trusted me shortly after he got his). I love that boat....it takes rough water better than some 27' and 29' offshore racers I have driven....probably my next boat. I have not drived or rode in any of the others.
Just my 2 cents!!!
:shift:

Parker Dreamin
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Ok, I will try...but I know a lot of others here have better info then i do...but here goes.....my un-educated guess, based on what my friends have said....
Rated by quality:
2. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
Rated by price....probably about the same order...but as i said....I don't know these boats as well as a lot of guys here.
The only one I have driven is the 25' Shockwave Tremor with the 496 HO (ShockwaveTom trusted me shortly after he got his). I love that boat....it takes rough water better than some 27' and 29' offshore racers I have driven....probably my next boat. I have not drived or rode in any of the others.
Just my 2 cents!!!
:shift:
26 Razor and Baja Mike...u can take ours for a spin to show you what it has bud...........

CJ
10-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Rated by quality:
2. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
At least I know I have your blessings with my new order. 28' Eagle XP.
I have friends with the Lavey and the Shockwave and they all LOVE them. Only great things said about both companies.
And I can honestly say that Eliminator has been amazing with me. A great family!! I can't wait to get my boat!

Todd969
10-18-2004, 05:47 AM
Great choices to work with and the right budget for most. Have you looked at Nordic? Excellent build and ride.

KoolPop
10-18-2004, 06:43 AM
You should absolutely also include the Advantage 25 citation, and the 27 victory. They make a very nice and quality made boat.

NashvilleBound
10-18-2004, 06:55 AM
1. 26' Lavey Craft nuera
3. 25' Shockwave Tremor
4. 26' Cobra Razer
5. 25' or 27' Warlock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill, I have a boat that fits your wants EXACTLY. Clost to $100k invested and you will still be way below what you want to spend. Ask some of the board members that have seen it and ridden in it what its about.
Either way, Good Luck,
NB
2001 Ultra 247XS
HP500EFI with WhippleCharger (added at 100hrs)
Approximately 190 hours total (still enjoying the season)
XR drive
Dana Offshore Tabs, cup holders.....etc
Custom Extreme trailer with 5000 lb axles instead of 3200
4 wheel disc brakes instead of 2. Custom wheels and tires.
Its the best trailer I have ever towed with.
WPM external steering
Billet marine oil filter w/ cartrige (no more spilling oil everywhere)
Billet Marine top cap w/ shower for the drive
New GPS speedo
Gaffrig gauges
Full instrumentation
28" Bravo 1 prop included
Matching Bimini
double tow cover and a mooring cover
90 MPH GPS
GREAT condition!!!!!!!!! Delivery possible anywhere!
$64,000...that almost free!!!!!
615-714-8100
All major service and major maintanence has been done by GT
Performance.

OGShocker
10-18-2004, 06:58 AM
I have to tell you about Dana Performance Boats, Montclair CA.
Dana provided us with a GREAT boat on time (8 weeks). The Dana 27' has received very high marks in all categories from Hot Boat Magazine and Powerboat. I would put the fit and finish on our Dana up against anyone. Tom (the owner) knows what customer service is and goes out of his way to show that everyday. From driving to Havasu to help a customer to putting on one killer regatta, Tom is a great guy to work with.
With that being said... DRIVE ALL the boats you are looking to buy. NEVER give a deposit before test driving any manufacturers boat. Talk with other owners and see if they will give you a ride in their boat prior to you making your decision.
Most of all.... HAVE FUN!!!
OGS

Todd969
10-18-2004, 07:29 AM
I have to tell you about Dana Performance Boats, Montclair CA.
Dana provided us with a GREAT boat on time (8 weeks). The Dana 27' has received very high marks in all categories from Hot Boat Magazine and Powerboat. I would put the fit and finish on our Dana up against anyone. Tom (the owner) knows what customer service is and goes out of his way to show that everyday. From driving to Havasu to help a customer to putting on one killer regatta, Tom is a great guy to work with.
With that being said... DRIVE ALL the boats you are looking to buy. NEVER give a deposit before test driving any manufacturers boat. Talk with other owners and see if they will give you a ride in their boat prior to you making your decision.
Most of all.... HAVE FUN!!!
OGS
This is a very true statement, as OG knows we were so dam close to buying the Dana. Tom is a great owner and stands behind them 110%. Unfortunately my wife decided 27 was too big. We have the 25 Nordic and love it. Nordic and The Boat Brokers have been fantastic to work with. Give Tom at Dana a shot. For what it's worth all the Dana owners i've met are really good people.
Good luck

bfab33
10-18-2004, 06:02 PM
I looked at Dana boats and you're right on saying they are very nice boats and that the owner is a good guy. He even told me to look at other boats. But I'm looking for a wider boat to have more room, even though it might not ride as good as the Dana in big chop.
And by the way your boat looks really good.
Thanks for the info,
Bill

bfab33
10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
That sounds like a really good deal, but I really want a new boat. I've always had used boats and I'm looking forward to picking the colors and options myself.
Thanks,
Bill

voodoomedman
10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I looked at Dana boats and you're right on saying they are very nice boats and that the owner is a good guy. He even told me to look at other boats. But I'm looking for a wider boat to have more room, even though it might not ride as good as the Dana in big chop.
And by the way your boat looks really good.
Thanks for the info,
Bill
I gotta say too the Dana's look really nice, especially for a smaller company. They also include alot like the 496 mag standard and not an upgrade. Of course if I was buying it would be an Ultra. ;)

cc322
10-18-2004, 07:51 PM
For 70,000.00 I dont think the Lavey 26 falls in that catagorie, you would be more in the 24 nu era, we just bought one in april and love it, it also has the ho . PM me if you would like to talk details on how they put thier boats together,compared to others, good luck

rivercrazy
10-18-2004, 08:39 PM
I've had a Shockwave Tremor for 2 years now and just shy of 150 hours with a 496HO. Its a great boat. Much larger than most 25's on the market. One of the faster full sized 25's and rides awesome in the rough. We just ran ours in 3-4 foot chop at Mohave at 60+ and been to Catalina and back. Great handling traits. Turns like its on rails despite being a step bottom. It handles like a strait V but with the top end of a step bottom.

syke-o
10-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Laser makes a nice 25' boat as well as Stealth Marine(who always posts on the boards)

bfab33
10-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks for everyones help. Just orderd a Lavey Craft 26' Nuera 496 ho open bow. :D

cc322
10-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Nice choice, welcome to the Lavey family