PDA

View Full Version : blood for oil

Blown 472
10-16-2004, 06:40 AM
http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=5968

Steve 1
10-16-2004, 09:07 AM
The Chinese were Bent Bills Friends/Slumber party guests and $$$ supporters like I said behind every Evil there is a Filthy DemonRat.

MagicMtnDan
10-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey Blown, you're obviously not taking your meds. You're searching high and low for "reputable and reliable" news sources. What's your next news source, Al Jazeera?

Jeanyus
10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=5968
Poly want a cracker, bla bla bla.

Boy Named Sue
10-16-2004, 10:13 PM
We were so greedy we couldn't wait to open the huge Chinese markets so we could sell them Marlboros and Coca Cola. Now those poor sobs have tasted capitalism and they like it. The competition for resources with China has only just begun. There will be blood shed for oil. Maybe the Kerry administration will give the Chinese the technology to make their industries more efficient and pollute less. Then we can all be friends. ;)

bigq
10-16-2004, 11:29 PM
We were so greedy we couldn't wait to open the huge Chinese markets so we could sell them Marlboros and Coca Cola. Now those poor sobs have tasted capitalism and they like it. The competition for resources with China has only just begun. There will be blood shed for oil. Maybe the Kerry administration will give the Chinese the technology to make their industries more efficient and pollute less. Then we can all be friends. ;)
I am sure Kerry would give almost anybody everything they wanted, but I doubt it would make anyone like us more, have you ever tried to pay someone off to like you? the oil is not going to be there forever anyway, someone needs to start leaning us in the direction of renewable fuel and stop with these pathetic electric cars.

Boy Named Sue
10-17-2004, 09:15 AM
I am sure Kerry would give almost anybody everything they wanted, but I doubt it would make anyone like us more, have you ever tried to pay someone off to like you? the oil is not going to be there forever anyway, someone needs to start leaning us in the direction of renewable fuel and stop with these pathetic electric cars.
Bigg, about them being our friends, that was sarcasm. I thought the remark about MacAurthur would indicate that. (Mac wanted to nuke China during the Korean War.) I agree the world will run out of oil and yes we need to look into other sources of energy. Unfortunately the industries of the modern world are so petroleum based that no materials are currently available in sufficient quantity to replace it. The carpet under your feet, the plastic this keyboard is made from, paints, solvents, and everything else that makes our world go round are based on petroleum products. As selfish as human beings are, especially when dealing with a collective like a nation, I can't see anything but huge conflicts over oil reserves in the coming decades. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure their will be many in this forum to point out the flaws in my logic.

Blown 472
10-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Poly want a cracker, bla bla bla.
Bbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Steve 1
10-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Bbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Kooks Boyfriend has spoken.

Jeanyus
10-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Bbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I'm not the spelling monitor ,but, I think there is supposed to be a W in there somewhere, example Bbbbbwaaaa.
Unless thats a sheep sound you are making.

Blown 472
10-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Supposed to be a sheep. :rolleyes:

Steve 1
10-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Good self analysis 72

steelcomp
10-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Kinda hard to do with a keyboard.
Just post a pic of yourself, Blown. That'll work. (The sheep 'll be the one in front!) :D

bordsmnj
10-17-2004, 02:09 PM
you sure?

Tom Brown
10-17-2004, 02:29 PM
You know what would be a better trade... semen for oil.

Boy Named Sue
10-17-2004, 02:31 PM
You know what would be a better trade... semen for oil.They go hand in hand don't they?

bigq
10-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Bigg, about them being our friends, that was sarcasm. I thought the remark about MacAurthur would indicate that. (Mac wanted to nuke China during the Korean War.) I agree the world will run out of oil and yes we need to look into other sources of energy. Unfortunately the industries of the modern world are so petroleum based that no materials are currently available in sufficient quantity to replace it. The carpet under your feet, the plastic this keyboard is made from, paints, solvents, and everything else that makes our world go round are based on petroleum products. As selfish as human beings are, especially when dealing with a collective like a nation, I can't see anything but huge conflicts over oil reserves in the coming decades. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure their will be many in this forum to point out the flaws in my logic.
Sorry you need to spell things out for me, I am a lttle slow :redface: I know a lot of products are made with the petroleum products and most will find ways to produce without it or use synthetics.

Boy Named Sue
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Sorry you need to spell things out for me, I am a lttle slow :redface: I know a lot of products are made with the petroleum products and most will find ways to produce without it or use synthetics.
Wow, you just solved all the world's raw material problems in one sentence, merely by claiming that it is done! Or will be done! You are truly the wizard behind the curtain! Tell us where to pay homage so we won't waste time seeking the glory hole.

steelcomp
10-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Wow, you just solved all the world's raw material problems in one sentence, merely by claiming that it is done! Or will be done! You are truly the wizard behind the curtain! Tell us where to pay homage so we won't waste time seeking the glory hole.
Kind of a smart ass aren't you, sue.
Truth about oil is no one really knows HOW much there is, but best guess is we aren't going to run out for a long time. They don't even really know where it comes from, or how it's formed. There's places under the ocean that researchers have discovered that have huge deposits. Hell, one of the largest deposits in this country sits right under Santa Monica, CA. The researchers and scientists are still finding out ways to get oil that was not too long ago thought to be "untouchable" because it was in a form that we couldn't harvest. There's a lot we don't know about oil, and untill we ARE in short supply, it's going to continue to be the blood of the world. Our best bet is to use the technology we have, harvest our OWN oil safely and ecologically, and tell the rest of the world to kiss our self sufficient ass! But that's JMO.

Boy Named Sue
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Truth about oil is no one really knows HOW much there is, but best guess is we aren't going to run out for a long time. They don't even really know where it comes from, or how it's formed. There's places under the ocean that researchers have discovered that have huge deposits. Hell, one of the largest deposits in this country sits right under Santa Monica, CA. The researchers and scientists are still finding out ways to get oil that was not too long ago thought to be "untouchable" because it was in a form that we couldn't harvest. There's a lot we don't know about oil, and untill we ARE in short supply, it's going to continue to be the blood of the world. Our best bet is to use the technology we have, harvest our OWN oil safely and ecologically, and tell the rest of the world to kiss our self sufficient ass! But that's JMO.
Yes I have been accused of smart assness, which I don't deny. You make valid points which at this time are undeniable. Demand is outstripping supply, and the Chinese want what we are getting. They are getting some of it, this I know. I work in a field that deals with raw materials and everyone is saying the Chinese are buying it all up. Prices of things like steel, pipe, and concrete are going up tenfold. Do the research, our ass is in a vise and its getting tighter and noone is saying anything about it. Islamofascists? We are dealing with them. 1.2 billion hungry Chinese? Say your prayers. I'm not anti chinese but this is going to be a serious problem if we want to maintain our way of life. If not, roll over and start eating grass.

Freak
10-18-2004, 05:31 AM
True no one really knows how much oil there is but all of the really large easy to spot and to extract fields have been found. According to a January 2004 report in Petroleum Review, the discovery rate for mega projects (those which contain more than 500 million barrels or about a one week supply) has now dwindled to nothing. In 2000, 16 mega projects were discovered. In 2001 there were 8 new discoveries. In 2002 there were 3 new discoveries.
In 2003, there were none.
The places under the ocean such as the Caspian Sea was thought to contain over 200 billion barrels of oil. Shortly after invading Afghanistan, the US discovered (much to its dismay) the Caspian Sea probably only holds between 20 and 40 billion barrels. While this is far from an insignificant amount of oil, remember that the oil producing nations of the world are currently pumping at full capacity but are unable to produce much more than 80 million barrels per day AND their is no spare capacity left. So I would say we ARE in short supply. So that 40billion would only run the world for a short period. At current rates of oil consumption, the ANWR contains enough oil to power the US for only six months.
So called “non-conventional” oil, such as the oil sands found in Canada and Venezuela, is incapable of replacing conventional oil. The EROEI of non-conventional oil is very poor compared to conventional oil, clocking in at about 3/2. Shell-Canada Senior Vice President Neil Camarta has explained the oil sands of Canada are much more expensive than free-flowing crude of the Persian Gulf, “It’s not like the oil in Saudi Arabia. You see all the work we have to do; it doesn’t just jump out of the ground. Every step takes brute
force.” Brute force requires lots of excess energy, which is exactly what we will have less of as we slide down the down-slope of the conventional oil production curve. The environmental costs of the oil sands projects are absolutely staggering and the process uses a tremendous amount of fresh water and natural gas, both of which are in limited supply. The oil sands projects in Canada have consumed so much natural gas that Alberta has even considered installing a nuclear power plant in the middle of the project to supply power and steam.
The use of synthetics to replace oil in products is does not compute since synthetics are based on petroleum and the cost of these is much higher than oil. Cost plays such a huge factor and the fact our monetary system is based on oil is the scariest thing of all.

Boy Named Sue
10-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Far shittier things have been bought with blood. The first naval battle of WWI was fought over guano (thats right, bird shit.) in waters off S. America.
Chile I think. Guano is a good source of nitrates, the main ingredient in explosives. If a nation needs it, people will die for it. Don't be naive. :skull:

napabob
10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Horray for Halliburton!
http://www.halliburton.com/ofc_loc/location_search.jsp?USA=0&rgn=AS&cnt=People%27s%20Republic%20of%20China

Boy Named Sue
10-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Horray for Halliburton!
http://www.halliburton.com/ofc_loc/location_search.jsp?USA=0&rgn=AS&cnt=People%27s%20Republic%20of%20China
An interesting find Napabob. I was taken a little aback that you only had three words to say about this. What does it really mean? There must be hundreds of U.S. companies doing business with China. Nay, thousands. I'm typing on a Microsoft keyboard "Made in China". There is the problem with unrestrained capitalism. Yet I believe in lasse faire economies. You can't trust people to do the right thing when there's money involved. I'm torn. What is Halliburton doing in China? I guess I could find out but any one company isn't the problem. The Chinese are rolling and I'm not sure what is the best way to deal with them. Oppose them? Get in bed with them? (I'm speaking economically) I think in ten years the War on Terror will be fading and we'll be dealing with that big fat hungry Fu Manchu. :eat: