PDA

View Full Version : Spinning

Roc
05-24-2001, 10:59 PM
Hey guys (and ladies too?)
Just bought my first boat. It's an 18 footer made by Challenger Yachts. It has a .60 over 460, dual 600, tunnel, schneider cam, ignition, Bassets, yada yada yada. Chevy guys, go easy on me in the forum huh? The pump is a totally reworked Jacuzzi with an Energizer kit, no diverter, and was told it didn't really need one. I may get one just to have some roost fun though. The pump is pretty huge. The guy I bought it from was a real gear head and supposedly made this boat a pretty fair screamer, not a racer, but fast(for a jet anyway). So far I'm having the time of my life on the river, Needles, Blythe. I do have a question that I know someone has the answer to. I was finally alone in the boat and decided grow some huevos and open it up and see what it'll do. Well, the next thing I knew, the boat veered right, I was in the air, going backwards headed straight for the rocky shore. I landed safely, tub full of water, trunks full of... I hit the bilge and punched it. Went straight to shore, cracked a beer and wondered what the heck just happened. After talking with some friends, they laughed and told me I spun out and to be careful. No problem. Then just last week, I was doing about 3000 RPM on glassy water and going straight. The boat veered way right and started to spin out again. All I did then was turn the wheel slightly left and gave the throttel a love tap, which straightened me out and saved me from having to change my trunks again. My boat guy told me that the boat will want to veer slightly right when letting off the throttle, which was what I did, I think, both incidences. So tell me. Is this a normal thing for jet boats? What can be done to help my sorry-newboatowning-butt? Besides taking it easy and learning as I go, I need some help. By the way, theres no fin, which I understand doesn't help much anything above idle speed. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ROC
[This message has been edited by Roc (edited May 25, 2001).]

fat rat
05-25-2001, 03:38 AM
Thats scary and not normal by my standards!!!!! What type bottom design?

Bubbledeck
05-25-2001, 06:39 AM
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me something is seriously wrong on the bottom side of your boat. If it only happens when you back off the power I would think something is outta whack to cause it to pitch right .. crawl under your boat and look to see if everything is straight. If you can't get the answer from someone here I'd take it to a good boat mechanic and have him check it out. That problem seems dangerous to me. My 18' Tahiti has never done anything like that.

timitunnel
05-25-2001, 08:14 AM
I would put a fin on it. I found that my tunnel spins out with out one on hard high speed turns. You can cut it down a little if you have tracking problems. Check your fin alignment on boat bottom.Also check cable roughting and motor mounts. Your motor might be pulling on the cables.Your problem might be why the guy sold it. Ask him if he had this problem.
[This message has been edited by Roc (edited May 25, 2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

spectras only
05-25-2001, 08:21 AM
Roc,you better check your hull for straightness.First of all your boat shouldn't weer any direction when you cut or loose power with fins.If your hull warped severely by sitting on a roller trailer or a bad bunk it can cause the mentioned problem.The least you could do now is to put a rudder on the nozzle which would help a little[ I've said little ,since not much of it is in the water at high speed].Next thing is to restore the fins at the intake,and check the bottom for sraightness.As I mentioned in previous posts,you can only do hotdog maneuvres like yours, without a rudder on similar sized boats.Back in the seventies my buddies with their low freeboard Hondos did the same as you and occasionally made a fishpond out of their boats.Some unlucky ones couldn't restart their engines right away ,so they sank.After that you started seeing the transom splashguard all over the place.

Jetmugg
05-25-2001, 09:48 AM
There should be some small "fins" on either side of the jet's intake opening. I have heard of people removing these, and it's definitely not a good idea. In addition to adding some directional stability, these fins help to keep the pump loaded.
Safety first- a boat that drives like you described can get you or someone else killed.
SteveM.

Roc
05-25-2001, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I checked with my mechanic and he said it will want to go SLIGHTLY to the right when letting off the throttle quickly. I'll check all the things that were mentioned here on the post. Maybe it's my lack of jetboat experience too. Scary. ROC