PDA

View Full Version : MSD alternatives???

WheelerDealer
10-18-2004, 01:07 PM
After reading about so many people having trouble with MSD ignition boxes in their jet boats it got me thinking if there were any good alternatives that were more reliable for engines in the 600+ horsepower range. Do any of y'all have any experience with other ignitions out there, and if so what were the results?

Sleek-Jet
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Can't go wrong with a magneto. :D
You're going to find just as many people that have had bad experiances with the other ignitions as MSD. I have my own ideas why people have so much trouble with them, and it has nothing to do with the boxes.

lucky
10-18-2004, 01:26 PM
but i'm partial to mags -- d.u.i makes some good hei's for all makes

BrendellaJet
10-18-2004, 02:00 PM
If you ahven't heard of the MSD failures, you haven't been reading all the threads. There have been atleast 10 that I have read about this year or know of personally. I asked Dave at DNE why I should shelve my DUI HEI in favor of an MSD considering the # of failures I have read about...
He said "they make thousands of those things every year. There are gonna be a few that are bad for whatever reason."
I reluctantly bought all new MSD parts, but you better beleive that Ill have a spare DUI thats ready to run should I have to...

Sleek-Jet
10-18-2004, 02:15 PM
DUI's are GM HEI's with all the hot parts in them, on bases for different motor's. So you could run an HEI on your Ford, or Mopar. I've heard they are good ignitions, but they don't have all the features of a MSD box and distributor set up.
For the record, I have an MSD Pro-Billet HEI in my 85 GMC, and it's by far the best electronic ignition I've put on a vehicle. But really, it's just an HEI, only made out of better stuff.

BrendellaJet
10-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Considering the % of the ***boat market thats here(probably very small) 10 is a lot. Im hoping to get lucky. MSD will not like me if I dont have good luck with their product.
The DUI kicked ass for me, but they dont have all of the same features, the features they do have are not packaged as neatly.

WheelerDealer
10-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by:Sleek-Jet
I have my own ideas why people have so much trouble with them, and it has nothing to do with the boxes.
Please enlighten us...

Sleek-Jet
10-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Well, after looking at a lot of used low freeboard boats most have one thing in common, atrocious wiring. Bad grounds, horrible crimp connections, and just plain poor condition. The MSD style boxes require good solid connections, adequate wire guage, and a strong voltage source to work. If you aren't carefull on the install, the boxes are going to fail. Lot's of problems with these older boats can be traced to bad wiring.

WheelerDealer
10-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Makes sense to me.

sleekcrafter
10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I've got a MSD 6m2 at MSD now, it went up in smoke after four years of use maybe 150 hrs. I called them and told them what happened, they say send it in for repair. Got a recording on the machine at home...MSD saying it's not cost effective to repair. :argue: Last I knew they offered some sort of break on an exchange did'nt they?

HammerDown
10-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Sure anything can happen. But after seeing how MSD treated a very good friend of mine when his Marine Box went south...I have some reservations about their fancy box.
Maybe Crane, they have treated me square in the past. ;)

revndave
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I've ran 6al boxes for years now and no problem. :clover:

Cs19
10-18-2004, 07:59 PM
I agree with what sleek said.
I dont see any reason not to run an MSD system.

BigBoyToys
10-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I have a spare MSD 6AL if anyone is looking for one. Sold the boat this past saturday minus motor and all related parts so now I have the stuff available. MSD 6AL for $125 + Shipping. Email is JimP@pritek.net
as for the topic, I have been running MSD 6AL on all my boats for the past 5 years, and the only problem I ever had was a bad ground once (Entirely my fault). IMO, the spark efficiency that you get with a Multiple Spark Discharge system far out weighs any "potential" risks. And, I've seen more burnt points than I have a burnt MSD Box..... In other words, you can break down no matter what you are running. It's the nature of the beast in any high performance application.

BigBoyToys
10-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Can't go wrong with a magneto. :D
Wanna bet? :rollside: :cool:

HammerDown
10-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Wanna bet? :rollside: :cool:
Enlighten us...please. :cool:

HammerDown
10-19-2004, 05:55 AM
I kinda like the idea (at least I belive I do)...of the RTR Distributior from MSD. No external box and wires to deal with, just drop it in and go.
Of course I would feel the need to carry a spare module...when it did fail.
But I may go that rout.

wsuwrhr
10-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Ditto on the install, I have run MSD exclusively ever since I made enough money to buy them.
I have never had a problem with any of my systems, I have 5 complete systems.
The boat runs the whole deal. Timing computer, crank trigger, 6AL, coil, distributor, wires.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
When the motorhome has problems with the stock electronic ignition, I will put one in it.
Brian

ezstriper
10-19-2004, 06:37 AM
AS I SAID IN MY PREVIOUS POST AND STARTED THIS BATTLE OVER MSD I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS ACTUALLY TESTED WITH AND WITHOUT A MSD SETUP, I JUST SWITCHED BACK TO A STOCK GM DIST, INSTALLED CURVE KIT, REMOVED VAC ADVANCE, 48oz ACCEL POINTS/CONDENSER, KEPT THE MSD ROTOR, CAP AND WIRES AND A ACCEL SUPER COIL, JUST TESTED THIS WEEKEND BOAT RAN THE SAME AS WITH THE WHOLE MSD PRO-BILLET, 6A BOX, BLASTER COIL. I STILL AM FIGHTING THE LEAN OUT @5200, BUT THATS A CARB ISSUE(I THINK) THE BOAT IDLES, STARTS, ACCELS THE SAME AS BEFORE. I WOULD LOVE TO RUN A H/P HEI DIST. BUT THEY WON'T CLEAR MY TUNNEL RAM. MY POINT IS WHEN RUNNING THIS HI-TECH ELECTRONICS AND IT'S RUNNING THATS GREAT BUT WHEN IT FAILS YOU ARE SCREWED UNLESS YOU HAVE EXTRA PARTS TO EXCHANGE, I KNOW OTHER COILS/POINTS CAN FAIL BUT A LOT LESS THAN THE ELECTRONIC STUFF IN MY OPINION, ROB.....

BigBoyToys
10-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Enlighten us...please. :cool:
Long story that has to deal with hooking a kill switch up incorrectly. :eek: :hammerhea LOL

Bense468
10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I ran a crane box and never had an issue with it.

sleekcrafter
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Called MSD today, and talked with a service tech about the dilema, of the Not cost effective repair for my 6M-2box. I asked if they would help on the cost of a replacement unit, they said sure that would be $85.00 I said I'd take it. This was my first ever failure of an MSD product, I'm glad they would step up for me. :D :D :D

WiredInTX
11-08-2004, 09:20 PM
The MSD Marine 6 Box comes with a 12 month warranty. If it fails within that period it will be replaced for you at no charge. You will need to supply a receipt to show proof of purchase, or they will go by the date stamp that is located on the base plate of the unit. If the unit has been sitting on the shelf in a store for a while and you don't have your receipt then you may not get your full warranty period from when you purchased it. Keep your receipt! They also have an out of warranty exchange policy were if the unit is found to be defective they will replace it for a reduced cost. I think it is under $100 bucks if I am not mistaken. I am not sure how long after it is out of warranty they will do that for, but if you call them I am sure they will tell you.
See ya,
WiredInTX