PDA

View Full Version : need turbo setup

sleekcraft76
10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
does anyone have a twin turbo setup for sale?

Rexone
10-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Send a PM to Obnoxious001, I know he had one awhile back. :smile:

83nordic
10-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Like Mike said, Obnoxious had two one complete on a motor, nice set-ups and he is a nice guy. I found another nice looking set-up on boostpower's web site under used stuff. I decided to go new from Carson Brummett.
Good Luck

LakesOnly
10-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Not a complete system, but man, brand new turbos for cheap.
Ebay Turbos (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZ19seventy2QQsosortorderZ1QQs osortpropertyZ1QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWAQ3aMESOI)
LO

cdog
10-19-2004, 01:47 PM
If turbo's are so cheap, then why are the setups so expensive? I can see 5k for a turbo set up, but most of these guy's want like 15k for a boat turbo deal. After you buy turbo's like these you need water cooled exhaust, oil lines for the turbos, and a carb hat with a way to plumb two tube's from turbo to carb hat and a pop off valve and a intercooler.. So how do people justify 15k or more? I'm planning on adding a Procharger, but turbo's would be better if I can do it for a decent price. Does any one know af any trick's on the set up's?

sleekcraft76
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
efi for the fuel setup ,i,m a toolmaker i can fab the headers and related parts.

cdog
10-19-2004, 02:07 PM
efi for the fuel setup ,i,m a toolmaker i can fab the headers and related parts.
Look up the banks system. I guess they don't make a marine set any more but they have a real cool carb hat and plumbing system for their twin turbo small block with efi. That may give you some ideas.

sleekcraft76
10-19-2004, 05:59 PM
thanks for the post's but i bought a motor so in low in fun money :jawdrop:

obnoxious001
10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I still have one NEW kit, and one complete engine that I could sell just the kit off of. I am only asking about half the cost of a kit from Carson for the new kit that I have.
Barry agt001@aol.com
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/1001_engine.JPG

Rexone
10-19-2004, 06:15 PM
A lot of the high buck costs relate to stainless water jacketed headers and / or fuel injection systems. Very basic systems are not that much (if you can find an old one). Everything's expensive but the 2 items I mentioned really drive the turbo system cost up dramatically. Both are nice but not imperative.

Unchained
10-20-2004, 04:10 AM
I located a set of Arias hemi heads and if If they look good enough I am going to buy them and switch my whole setup over which will require a complete refabrication.
I just want to be able to change spark plugs easier. :rolleyes: :D
I can sell my whole existing setup from the heads up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220Polishedsplashguardrs-med.jpg
You'll never run out of performance with these Garrett TV77 turbo's.
No water jackets here, open engine compartment only.

green with envy
10-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a new 572,efi, twin turbo motor for sell. pm me if your interested. makes 1100hp, on 92oct 1400hp on 110oct. Has water cooled turbo housing. Nice motor. conservitve figures.

dirty old man
11-02-2004, 10:18 AM
That green motor is awsome!

obnoxious001
11-03-2004, 12:38 AM
I built the original "green motor", if I am not mistaken. How is everything Alan?
Barry

green with envy
11-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I built the original "green motor", if I am not mistaken. How is everything Alan?
Barry
Sorry obnoxious you did not build this motor. This was built by GT in montclair. I have only seen Gary and Brummett pull hp like this out of Turbos. My last one I had 365 hrs on it before it broke a rocker arm. They were not easy hours. Fully pegged for 1 hr + runs. I just have not seen anyone else as reliable so far. Have many boats gone to many races seen alot of motor builders. Phaff, gordy does ok but the hp is not there. Maybe I am mis informed. Randy Davis does ok with Phaff. Again he is concervitive to make the power last.

oknozelman
11-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Green, did you get my P.M.?

obnoxious001
11-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Alan
I know I didn't do that engine, but the first one in the Hallett was a 572 that I assembled at GT
Barry

green with envy
11-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey Barry how the hell are ya. It finally clicked. Have not seen or heard from you lately. I guess I stand corrected on the moter. What are you doing these days.

green with envy
11-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Green, did you get my P.M.?
I received your pm I am trying to get some new pics of the motor and a dyno sheet so I can send them to you. I am asking 45000.00 firm. Ask anyone this is a good price. All new everything except crank and block. You would spend 15000.00 more for the same to be built.

Unchained
11-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I'll match that 45k price.
My engine has an Arias aluminum block.
No cast iron here at all, Cast iron is for anchors.
New this year Bill Miller aluminum rods.
4340 Callies crank.
This is a 10.7" tall deck Y block with 7.25" long rods. Real good rod angle.
Haltech E6K EFI system. I'll throw in the laptop for on the fly tuning.
Garrett TV77 turbos.
No water cooled manifolds here. Open engine compartment only.
I'll run it on a dyno for a new buyer.
I'll dismantle the engine for inspection if required.
I don't think it would be wise to connect this to an outdrive or it would likely be vaporization of the outdrive unless it was a #6.
If I sold this one I'd assemble another one just like it over the winter.
Except the next one will be an Arias hemi. :D

bigkatboat
11-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Arias decks move around under "heavy or long loads". If you are drag racing, they work fine. If you are going to actually drive your boat across the lake, "forgetaboutit". Green with envy, "you have only seen" is the key to this topic. Many engine builders have built motors that have the same capabilities, but have not gotten the PRESS. "Guesstimations" and "Estimations" are the norm in this field, due to the fact that 'european' builders have made more power per cubic inch, and WE are trying to figure out how they (the european's) do it. I for one, have run motors (dyno) on KILL for the 'numbers', then "tuned it down", for real life use. I do know that many (non USA) engine builders, are using LEADED FUEL!!!!! WE do not have that COOLING POWER in this country. The engine builders here MUST build for unleaded (#*^king) gas. Builders that are not 'backyard-shade tree' must build for "customer satisfaction" and not for MAX POWER! Also, the 'advertised' power of a motor, can be a misleading thing. In other words, it all comes down to, 'how does the boat run?' What are the costs?

21rayson
11-05-2004, 10:33 PM
here is my motor. just fired it. i have a avi of it running if some can post it. http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7206&stc=1 http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7207&stc=1

Unchained
11-06-2004, 05:13 AM
I put over 40 hours of use on this Arias engine this year.
I've run it up to 20 # boost and 7100 rpm but it will idle smoothly at 1000 rpm through a no wake zone also. Runs pump gas at 13 # boost.
I have a different fuel map for unleaded gas or leaded gas. Takes about 1 minute to change maps in the laptop.
Last year I downsized the cam from what I ran with the blower because this engine doesn't need a real big cam to make more power than you can use on the lake. I went from a .730 lift to a .660 lift.
I keep a log of compression tests. It's amazing how close it has stayed since I've had this motor.
I have copper head gaskets but I know how to seal them and have had no leaks for the past three seasons.
I'm real happy with the Arias block and I'd buy another one in a minute.

green with envy
11-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Arias decks move around under "heavy or long loads". If you are drag racing, they work fine. If you are going to actually drive your boat across the lake, "forgetaboutit". Green with envy, "you have only seen" is the key to this topic. Many engine builders have built motors that have the same capabilities, but have not gotten the PRESS. "Guesstimations" and "Estimations" are the norm in this field, due to the fact that 'european' builders have made more power per cubic inch, and WE are trying to figure out how they (the european's) do it. I for one, have run motors (dyno) on KILL for the 'numbers', then "tuned it down", for real life use. I do know that many (non USA) engine builders, are using LEADED FUEL!!!!! WE do not have that COOLING POWER in this country. The engine builders here MUST build for unleaded (#*^king) gas. Builders that are not 'backyard-shade tree' must build for "customer satisfaction" and not for MAX POWER! Also, the 'advertised' power of a motor, can be a misleading thing. In other words, it all comes down to, 'how does the boat run?' What are the costs?
Hey now I have probably seen more than the normall guy. I have seen England builders,Australia, German. on and on. All I am saying is put the hammer down for 1hr at full throttle or close. Everyone shit blows up. I have had good luck with this motor. As far as unchained. If he is claming he can build an efi turbo motor capable of 1600hp all day long and for pennies on the dollar. . I call Bs. and it sure doesnt look like mine.

green with envy
11-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Or maybe I am full of shit. But her is another motor of mine that has 1600 hp. Not tuned down for the killer #s. It still has 1600hp. Has been raced and still is.

green with envy
11-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Or Maybe this one thats just sitting their waiting.
Not to be an asshole but if there was something out in Europe that was better I think I would and could have it.
I have A few more Race boats that I could call on to prove my point. I will wait to play that card another day.

XtrmWakeborder
11-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Or Maybe this one thats just sitting their waiting.
Not to be an asshole but if there was something out in Europe that was better I think I would and could have it.
I have A few more Race boats that I could call on to prove my point. I will wait to play that card another day.
Damn green, way to make a guy feel poor! lol

green with envy
11-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Sorry, bad moment I usally dont do that. I just hate when someone says I have not been around and they dont have anything to back it up.

GofastRacer
11-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey Green, I will be going turbo on my Rayson and I was wondering, did you make those headers or does somebody sell those?, that is exactly what I want!....Thanks!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/12extra_turbo_motor.jpg

superdave013
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
gofast,
these guys can make them. Or you can get the megephone and bend then weld 'em yourself.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/

oknozelman
11-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Green, on this motor where is the throttle body?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7252

XtrmWakeborder
11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Sorry, bad moment I usally dont do that. I just hate when someone says I have not been around and they dont have anything to back it up.
I'm just messin man, i'm sure yah worked hard to get that money to buy those. Love those turbo motors

GofastRacer
11-08-2004, 08:51 PM
gofast,
these guys can make them. Or you can get the megephone and bend then weld 'em yourself.
Thanks Dave, I may just make my own out of regular shit and have it Jet-Hot coated, that would be cool too!.. :cool:

bigkatboat
11-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Mr. Green, I apologize if I caused you discomfort. (that was not my aim) I was just trying to get everyone to look at these motors from a different point of view. I've only built a few (for paying customers) in the last 10 years, and they all wanted them "tuned down". I think their drives would not take the power but it's not for me to say. The comment about Europe, is just to point out the fact that MANY PEOPLE (all over the world) are doing turbo motors and (I feel) the performance of the overall package (boat or car or?) is the most important thing. The big numbers are great selling points for motor builders, but like you said, something about running WOT and "they all blow up". I don't know Mr. Unchained (we never agree, but I respect his work), I do know Mr. Go Fast, and Mr. Super Dave, and my (2nd) point is that I was speaking to people who build their own motors, not people who purchase them. I feel it takes a 'different' mindset to 'build from an idea', rather than 'build from a checkbook'. I mean no disrespect, because your kind of people have been paying 'stupid me' for more that 30 years. (and winning) Thank you for playing the game! Prior to 1994, I was 'knee deep' in many projects. One of them was a 4 valve head for chevy BB motors, and a few race boats. You're right! Nothing to back it up!

Rexone
11-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey Green, I will be going turbo on my Rayson and I was wondering, did you make those headers or does somebody sell those?, that is exactly what I want!....Thanks!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/12extra_turbo_motor.jpg
Art those look like Richard Lee's or CMI. Either are very spendy. CMI is better product IMO (less leak prone). All are custom config normally. I have the first set CMI ever built for turbos about 10 years ago on my boat. They have since built several for GT and others I think.

obnoxious001
11-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey Green, I will be going turbo on my Rayson and I was wondering, did you make those headers or does somebody sell those?, that is exactly what I want!....Thanks
Gofast,, I still have a brand new Gentry kit for sale, if you need for your project.
agt001@aol.com

green with envy
11-09-2004, 03:36 AM
The exhaust is cmi. They have been the only ones that are not prone to crack. GT has ahold on them from cmi. He devoloped them for his stuff and if you want a pair you need to call him. I think they run 5500.00 or 6500.00. Double walled Nicest stuff I have seen.

green with envy
11-09-2004, 03:39 AM
Mr. Green, I apologize if I caused you discomfort. (that was not my aim) I was just trying to get everyone to look at these motors from a different point of view. I've only built a few (for paying customers) in the last 10 years, and they all wanted them "tuned down". I think their drives would not take the power but it's not for me to say. The comment about Europe, is just to point out the fact that MANY PEOPLE (all over the world) are doing turbo motors and (I feel) the performance of the overall package (boat or car or?) is the most important thing. The big numbers are great selling points for motor builders, but like you said, something about running WOT and "they all blow up". I don't know Mr. Unchained (we never agree, but I respect his work), I do know Mr. Go Fast, and Mr. Super Dave, and my (2nd) point is that I was speaking to people who build their own motors, not people who purchase them. I feel it takes a 'different' mindset to 'build from an idea', rather than 'build from a checkbook'. I mean no disrespect, because your kind of people have been paying 'stupid me' for more that 30 years. (and winning) Thank you for playing the game! Prior to 1994, I was 'knee deep' in many projects. One of them was a 4 valve head for chevy BB motors, and a few race boats. You're right! Nothing to back it up!
No hard feelings. I love to build my own stuff, It comes to a point that either you have to much to keep up with or you can spend the time to make the money to pay for it faster. I have been fortunate to have both. It seems these days it is harder to keep it then make it as everyone try's to get in your pocket one way or another.

green with envy
11-09-2004, 03:42 AM
gofast,
Good for buggy stuff or car stuff. Had them do some enconal headers, works and looks good. But would never have tham do double walled boat stuff.

Unchained
11-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I agree with Bigcatboat on, " It takes a different mindset to build from an idea than from a checkbook" . There, now we agree. :D
I built all my own engine, turbo headers, and intercooler so there's no other one like it.
I have one of the only turbo setups where the turbos weren't mounted over the valve covers. Mounting the turbos over the valve covers always looked like a maintenance nightmare to me.
My engine is not built to run full throttle at the 1600 hp level for 1 hour like Greens engine but I never said that it would either. In fact I have'nt held it WOT for 10 seconds yet. I'm going over 100 in 1/8 mile and that's plenty for me to make a point on most boating weekends.
For me I enjoy seeing unique turbo projects assembled by the average gearhead but there are very few guys around that want to undertake a challenge of this caliber.
There are four or five of us here in Michigan that have built their own twin turbo / EFI setups.
Here's one that was for sale for $7,700 last winter from a guy in Detroit.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220hydroturbosetup2.jpg

superdave013
11-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Good for buggy stuff or car stuff. Had them do some enconal headers, works and looks good. But would never have tham do double walled boat stuff.
Edit:
I thought he was asking about your tail pipes.
Your headers look like a set of Lee deals. Am I close?
Hey, keep those pics coming! I'm doing a 572" twin turbo carbed set up and am in the process of rigging a schiada. Those clean installs of yours give me something to shoot for.
I remember you saying that you used to run a 572" tt with two 830 carbs. That's my plan. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain about the carb set ups. Jetting, power valves, boost referenced type of stuff. I know I could just drop 'em off with Gary (and I still might) but I'm a do it yourselfer. Just looking for a safe starting point I guess.

superdave013
11-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Unchained, as nice as those turbo set ups are they are worthless to most people. Most of the guys will need water jacketed everything for their big moster boats.
Now if you could come up with a cost effective set up that would fit under an average engine hatch you would be onto something.
Think about it:
Some guy with the cash to drop needs 2 of those bad boys for his poker runner. Oh, he does not want any downtime so he's the type that has spare engines and drives ready to go also.
Now those are the guys you need to develop a system for! Then you could compete with the Teauges, Chief's and the like. Wouldn't that be fun.
I bet that's not as easy as it sounds.

Unchained
11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I considered making double wall headers but it's about three times the work, three times the weight, reduces the exhaust volume and increases the spool up time from the cooling.
For an open engine compartment these work fine with some heat shielding.
These turbos are inexpensive and easy to find replacements.
I'd like to see some datalog pages from some of the high dollar Turbo/EFI setups to compare the turbo spool up time to what I have with mine.
I have a datalog page that shows building 17 lbs of boost in 1 sec.
Mark

superdave013
11-09-2004, 10:05 AM
I considered making double wall headers but it's about three times the work, three times the weight, reduces the exhaust volume and increases the spool up time from the cooling.
BINGO! That's why the high cost. Then the low sales volume drives the cost up even more.
I would think that those other systems don't have the spool up time as quick as yours. Would be hard on out drives.
Bottom line, You built your system for your boat and that's bitchen. But the days of low profile boats are pretty much over. (Hey, I love them too)
I guess what I'm getting at is that if you tried to build a "Packaged System" for use in the ave. boat (enclosed engine) your "Sell" price would be much higher then what you have invested in your system.
So in a nutshell comparing the cost of your to green's is apples to oranges

green with envy
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Edit:
I thought he was asking about your tail pipes.
Your headers look like a set of Lee deals. Am I close?
Hey, keep those pics coming! I'm doing a 572" twin turbo carbed set up and am in the process of rigging a schiada. Those clean installs of yours give me something to shoot for.
I remember you saying that you used to run a 572" tt with two 830 carbs. That's my plan. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain about the carb set ups. Jetting, power valves, boost referenced type of stuff. I know I could just drop 'em off with Gary (and I still might) but I'm a do it yourselfer. Just looking for a safe starting point I guess.
The lee headers crack CMI are what I found work.
Unchanied they need to be double walled and cooled just for that reason. You make that kind of power for long periods of time it will kill single wall headers. Craks all over the place.

orange picker
11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi green

Rexone
11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
The exhaust is cmi. They have been the only ones that are not prone to crack. GT has ahold on them from cmi. He devoloped them for his stuff and if you want a pair you need to call him. I think they run 5500.00 or 6500.00. Double walled Nicest stuff I have seen.
Well that's an interesting statement since I have THE FIRST SET CMI ever built for turbos 10+ years ago which CMI specifically built to my specs. Whatever. I just call inaccuracies when I see them. The first, second, and last sentence are accurate though.

superdave013
11-09-2004, 01:00 PM
The lee headers crack CMI are what I found work.
Unchanied they need to be double walled and cooled just for that reason. You make that kind of power for long periods of time it will kill single wall headers. Craks all over the place.
Alright, I like to hear that as I have a set of CMI split tops that I'm using. Heavy fockers that's for sure.
So, do you still have any of the tune up data on your carbed 572 that you could share with a poor soul?

schiada96
11-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Alright, I like to hear that as I have a set of CMI split tops that I'm using. Heavy fockers that's for sure.
So, do you still have any of the tune up data on your carbed 572 that you could share with a poor soul?
heavy yeah, fill them with water

dirty old man
11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
The only good way to run dry is to have them custom wrapped with an asbestos type product(foil overwrap) as was done by Gentry on his record setting boat and I think Banks did something along those lines as well

Unchained
11-09-2004, 02:14 PM
So in a nutshell comparing the cost of your to green's is apples to oranges
I know it, I just had to stir it up a little.
It worked. :cool:
I've run the single wall stainless headers for two seasons and about 60 hours use with no cracks / no problems. But I don't run for extended periods at WOT like a ski race application would.

Rexone
11-09-2004, 02:14 PM
The asbestos overwrap is good for relatively short term use but will destroy the header tubes from excessive heat if used long term. I know this from experience. I did this to a set of Banks headers on my old suburban thinking I had the answer to underhood heat problems. Well it was great for about 10k miles till the tubes disentegrated from the concentrated heat inside the asbestos wrap. I had to replace the entire header system. Banks told me don't ever do that again. I haven't.

burtandnancy
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Interesting comments on motor builders and longevity(sp). I also ran GT Performance motors on my marathon ski boats and also the Parker 7 hour. A ski race boat will run for an hour at WOT (the skier always has his thrumb up because he doesn't have to buy a new one). I ran full seasons of many races pulling both women and mens classes with very, very few failures. Gary Teague not only has the combination to build a lot of horsepower, but they tend to live a long time as well.
All engine builders are subject to parts failures by any one of the vendors. I remember a few years ago I got a call from a builder to tell me to come back and get all the valve springs changed, there had been a bad batch. Lucky for me, there were no problems as I got the call before anything broke...

Havasu Hangin'
11-09-2004, 03:22 PM
..the skier always has his thrumb up because he doesn't have to buy a new one...
That right there is funny. :D

GofastRacer
11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Art those look like Richard Lee's or CMI. Either are very spendy. CMI is better product IMO (less leak prone). All are custom config normally. I have the first set CMI ever built for turbos about 10 years ago on my boat. They have since built several for GT and others I think.
Thanks Mike, did some research they are spendy allright, I may just make my own!..

GofastRacer
11-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey Green, I will be going turbo on my Rayson and I was wondering, did you make those headers or does somebody sell those?, that is exactly what I want!....Thanks
Gofast,, I still have a brand new Gentry kit for sale, if you need for your project.
agt001@aol.com
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind I'm not ready for it yet still building the boat but I'm doing research now so I'll be ready when the time comes!..

haulina29
11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
The first set of turbo CMI headers that I saw were on Crisp and Clean :argue: