PDA

View Full Version : new project, v-drive newbie

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 05:52 AM
hey there...just got a 19' full stringer Spectra jet that I'm converting to a v-drive. I'm going to run a BIG BB Ford, blown (1000+ hp), trans, etc. I want the boat to run 100+, looking more for top speed handling and upper end acceleration, (in the style of G/N or SS boat) not a drag boat, and I'm hoping to get a few initial questions answered. First, what is the best angle of v-drive to start with? I have a ten deg. Casale. Will a standard Casale handle the power? Should I convert to 1 1/8" prop shaft? What gears and prop should I start with...or is it too early in the game so go there? What type of steering would be best, and finally, where can I get the info for the correct prop shaft angle, and setting and installing the strut and the steering?
Thanks in advance.
steel

superdave013
10-19-2004, 06:12 AM
Well my boat is only one foot longer so I'll tell you what mine's set is.
My strut angle is 8 degrees. Alot will say 7.5 and I'm sure that would be fine too. The Mike & Mike show @ Prime Marine talked me into the 8 degree. The back of the strut barrel to the transom is 21" on mine.
Now my v drive was built from scratch so it's got an 1 1/4" output shaft but the prop shaft is 1 1/8". I think you should run a 1 1/8" propshaft. AuqaNET (I love sayin that) 22 is what mine is. If the output shaft on your v drive is only 1" you might want to change it too.
I wouldn't worry about prop and gears just yet. You'll end up with a two blade in the 11.5" diameter range.
Set it up with good old cable steering. Mine has the dual morse set up and I wish I would have went cable.
I'm sure there is alot of people that could set up that boat. I went with the guys at Prime Marine as Mike King has done it all. I had then set my strut, fin and install the blast plates & v drive. I bet Mike could pull out his notes and find some PROVEN set up data on the same hull you have too.
Have fun making and buying all the cav plate hardware. lol You're getting ready to find out just why a v drive boat cost so much. (worth every penny too!!)

Sangerboy
10-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Steelcomp, Dave has given you some excellent starting points and advice, especially on where some expert advice is available from. ( even though all the advice on the forums is from true experts :rolleyes: ) With that much power you might want to think of gears in the 30's and also a beefed up transmission could work well on a lake boat.
Dave wasn't AquaNet the cheap hairspray we used to buy to make realistic flamethrowers for our GI Joes?

VD CRUISER
10-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Can't say exactly what strut angle and location will work on the 19' ,but do your homework before making that decision. Changing the strut angle and location from 10 deg to 7.5 deg, and moving it forward 6.5" to 23.5" from the transom, on my 21' Howard made an incredible difference in the handling and speed. I use 48% gears and have used 2 blade props from 11 1/4 dia to 11 3/4 dia with 16" pitch. The 10 deg. Casale should be fine, thats what I use.

MikeF
10-19-2004, 11:06 AM
How about keeping the engine in the position it is in and making it a Surface Drive. You don't need all that hydrodynamic drag under there....do you? :D
It may go 150 w/ twin turbo's! :2purples: :2purples:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/mvc-916f.jpg
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/mvc-914f.jpg

superdave013
10-19-2004, 11:14 AM
How about keeping the engine in the position it is in and making it a Surface Drive. You don't need all that hydrodynamic drag under there....do you? :D
Back to the ditch pump forum you foo! :)

MikeF
10-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Back to the ditch pump forum you foo! :)
I'm just say'n! If you're gonna push, better to push hard. :jawdrop::cool:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Larry Nebb
10-19-2004, 11:54 AM
That boat has a casale top loader v drive in it also!

MikeF
10-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Those ford guys should know somthin about them top loaders then. :D

Dave Sammons
10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=superdave013] I think you should run a 1 1/8" propshaft. AuqaNET (I love sayin that) 22 is what mine is.
SuperDave's numbers are right on. I'm a litttle worried about his memory though, his mom's hairspray might have been aquaNET 22, but, his propshaft better be an AQUAMET 22! :smile: :smile: :smile:

flat broke
10-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Steel
For a long time there was a Gilbreath 19 in the trader that the guy wanted like 12-15k firm. The boat was supposedly running over 100. Perhaps SpectraBrent has the contact info on that boat and could get you in touch with the owner for a starting point.
Chris

SPECTRABRENT
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Chris,
I think the Spectra 19 (white) from the boattrader is the same one from the v-drive video.
I think that boat won the GN division of the Parker Enduro.
Brent

Clutch
10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey Mike F Do you have a video of that arnison boat running? :D :D

MikeF
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
No, But can you imagine him passing you at twice the speed you are going?! :2purples:

superdave013
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
The guy posts here every now and then. His screen name is Gas Turbine. Seemed like a nice guy but he's gotta be one crazy focker to hoof that deal. I think he said 140's and still pulling with way more to go!

schiada96
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
yeah but a bronze prop?

MikeF
10-19-2004, 02:54 PM
The guy posts here every now and then. His screen name is Gas Turbine. Seemed like a nice guy but he's gotta be one crazy focker to hoof that deal. I think he said 140's and still pulling with way more to go!
I would not doubt it! w/1350+hp and the reduction gear box of 3 to 1.......that's 4050hp to the vdrive (if I've got that right).

396_Z
10-19-2004, 03:33 PM
You guys are missing one thing about his location......
Being from Nipomo CA he in a miller sandwich.... Jonh Miller fiberglass 7 miles north and Miller custom Boats 7 miles south.
Not reccomending them or anything but if you find yourself in need of someone whos "been there, done that" maybe there is some form of help to be had there. They'd have to say if they charge for advice or not.
Then again, the boards are no charge for now.

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow!!! Thanks, guys. You're makin me feel like one of the family. All your posts are great.
The Arnison is psyco. Plain and simple. That's ten pounds of psyco in a five pound boat, if EVER I saw it. But the cool effect is definately there. Hey look...that boat's got a woodie!!!
I know I have to be real specific about what I'm doing, and I'll be gathering a lot of info before I start anything. I've talked to Jim Miller a while back about doing the patch work on the hull (filing the jet holes) and setting the hardware. I just met John Miller a couple weeks ago at Ming. Both guys are very friendly and seem willing to help. John offered any coaching I might need, since I'm pretty much a DIY'er. Not sure I want to get between the two, ya know?
I don't have a problem with metal fab work...did a lot of it, and that's sort of what I'm looking forward to. Not very experienced in glass. Lot of experience in high end race (car) fab work, so that'll help. Structural is structural.
Baby steps, to start.
Thanks guys...will post pics as I go. I posted pics of the boat on "just jets" under "winter project...and then some" if you want to see what I'm in for.
Who or where is the best deal on hardware, such as struts, shafts, steering, etc? Prime Marine was mentioned as a source for info? Is there a concensous on this? Could someone give me the contact info for them?
Thanks again.
steel

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Steel
For a long time there was a Gilbreath 19 in the trader that the guy wanted like 12-15k firm. The boat was supposedly running over 100. Perhaps SpectraBrent has the contact info on that boat and could get you in touch with the owner for a starting point.
Chris
How 'bout it Brent? Any info there? Anything would be appreciated.
steel

flat broke
10-19-2004, 05:06 PM
i tried looking in the trader for the ad, but its gone. If its the boat Brent thinks it is, its history is pretty public and you might be able to get some help from the roundy round guys on its current owner.
Either way, it should be badazz.
Chris

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Well my boat is only one foot longer so I'll tell you what mine's set is.
My strut angle is 8 degrees. Alot will say 7.5 and I'm sure that would be fine too. The Mike & Mike show @ Prime Marine talked me into the 8 degree. The back of the strut barrel to the transom is 21" on mine.
Now my v drive was built from scratch so it's got an 1 1/4" output shaft but the prop shaft is 1 1/8". I think you should run a 1 1/8" propshaft. AuqaNET (I love sayin that) 22 is what mine is. If the output shaft on your v drive is only 1" you might want to change it too.
I wouldn't worry about prop and gears just yet. You'll end up with a two blade in the 11.5" diameter range.
Set it up with good old cable steering. Mine has the dual morse set up and I wish I would have went cable.
I'm sure there is alot of people that could set up that boat. I went with the guys at Prime Marine as Mike King has done it all. I had then set my strut, fin and install the blast plates & v drive. I bet Mike could pull out his notes and find some PROVEN set up data on the same hull you have too.
Have fun making and buying all the cav plate hardware. lol You're getting ready to find out just why a v drive boat cost so much. (worth every penny too!!)
Dave...thanks for all this info. I'm starting a file, and your's is the first entry!
I have the cav transom (control?) shaft assembly off an old sanger flat, that I thought I'd use, but after seeing what's out there and thinking about the loads it will see, I think it's too whimpy. The shaft is 3/4" hex stainless. The turn buckle arms are chrome plated something, and the lever is, too. The pilow blocks are toast. Is that shaft strong enough? Can I still get arms and stuff for the hex? I'm thinkin it might be easier to start from scratch.
Another question. Stainless or aluminum on the cav plate? I know the wash plate needs to be stainless.
Thanks
steel

bottom feeder
10-19-2004, 05:13 PM
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/mvc-916f.jpg
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/mvc-914f.jpg
I feel the need for one of these. :sqeyes:

MikeF
10-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Searchin through the pics and found this....is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/34PrimeTime_Live_2-med.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
10-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Thats the boat! I have seen it at Long Beach some years back, I dont know the owner.
As for rigging your boat, I would call Dave Sammonds, Dave is doing my Spectra 24 and he does lots of SS & GN's. If you want his number let me know.
Brent

GofastRacer
10-19-2004, 07:02 PM
That is Richard Vanbeenan's old boat. he traded it for a Hallett which is for sale at this time!..
I am also doing a Raysoncraft GN and a Nordic!..

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Thats the boat! I have seen it at Long Beach some years back, I dont know the owner.
As for rigging your boat, I would call Dave Sammonds, Dave is doing my Spectra 24 and he does lots of SS & GN's. If you want his number let me know.
Brent
Thanks Brent, please pass it along!

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Searchin through the pics and found this....is this the one you're talking about?
Boiiinnnggg!

steelcomp
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
That is Richard Vanbeenan's old boat. he traded it for a Hallett which is for sale at this time!..
I am also doing a Raysoncraft GN and a Nordic!..
How can I get ahold of Richard? Any idea who set that boat up?

Dave Sammons
10-19-2004, 07:52 PM
How can I get ahold of Richard? Any idea who set that boat up?
I see VanBeenan about once a week. GoFast is right, he sold that and bought a 19ft Hallett which is now for sale, I'm helping him with his new DiMarco. The story on the boat pictured is, it was one of I think 10 or 11 Spectra's that were rigged by Gil Gilbreath. They were used mostly for ski racing and some did a little GN time as well. The installation on this boat was very nice. The parts were all in the right places, but, up around 100 in race water, without a skier and observer, she transomwalked pretty good as did the Hallett that's for sale. Both boats had a little more V in them than say a Schiada, and certainly more the a Rayson-Craft. Still they both ran real good for play boats! Here's a shot of the Hallett he has for sale. Note new DiMarco in background.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517vb2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517vb3.jpg
Shoot me a PM and we'll hook up. I'll help you however I can!

GofastRacer
10-19-2004, 08:04 PM
She don't walk now, I can testify to that!. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Hallett.jpg

Dave Sammons
10-19-2004, 08:07 PM
She don't walk now, I can testify to that!. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Hallett.jpg
Note the 260 pounds of ballast in the right seat!!!

GofastRacer
10-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Note the 260 pounds of ballast in the right seat!!!
LMAO, that must have been the reason why it was pulling more to one side!. :D :D :D :D

Dave Sammons
10-19-2004, 09:08 PM
LMAO, that must have been the reason why it was pulling more to one side!. :D :D :D :D
10-4 on that!! :D :D :D

BILLY.B
10-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Around 100 in race water, without a skier and observer, she transomwalked pretty good. You hit the nail on the head Dave. I was going to tell the guy the same thing. I talked to Mike King about this type of hull and he said that they were good to around 85 to 90mph the you'd better be ready to hang on. They are a "BADD ASS" looking boat I think. I had my hands on one that belonged to Rex Marine back in the early 80's and I was trying to get Ray Brown to help me make a K boat out of one. I was going to put a Biesemeyer bottom with the Spectra deck and then put a capsule in it. The sides were perfect height to hide alot of the capsule and the boat was wider which mean't that you could put alot of HP to it. Could'nt get any help but I still think it would be a cool ride and great in rough water.

Dave Sammons
10-20-2004, 09:04 AM
I was trying to get Ray Brown to help me make a K boat out of one. I was going to put a Biesemeyer bottom with the Spectra deck and then put a capsule in it. The sides were perfect height to hide alot of the capsule and the boat was wider which mean't that you could put alot of HP to it. Could'nt get any help but I still think it would be a cool ride and great in rough water.
That would've been way cool! You're right, a capsule would look really good with that deck and high sides. With the way the APBA is going, someone is going to try something like that. Maybe a capsuled Rayson-Craft with a B-boat bottom... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

SPECTRABRENT
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Billy & Dave,
From what I know about the Spectra 19, I think it was made to run as jet boat, but like all Spectras, they run great with whatever propulsion is bolted to the back or bottom (Bud Bailey knew what he was doing :D).
Billy,
Your right about the looks of the Spectra 19 (I think it was one of those hulls that was made before its time), it is a Bad Ass looking hull. I cant believe that some boat co. is not selling that hull.
Brent

VD CRUISER
10-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Dave, exlpain "transomwalking" please. My 21' Howard pivots around the tail end sometimes when I'm the only one in it. I doesn't seem to do it when I have a passenger.

steelcomp
10-20-2004, 06:28 PM
You hit the nail on the head Dave. I was going to tell the guy the same thing. I talked to Mike King about this type of hull and he said that they were good to around 85 to 90mph the you'd better be ready to hang on. They are a "BADD ASS" looking boat I think. I had my hands on one that belonged to Rex Marine back in the early 80's and I was trying to get Ray Brown to help me make a K boat out of one. I was going to put a Biesemeyer bottom with the Spectra deck and then put a capsule in it. The sides were perfect height to hide alot of the capsule and the boat was wider which mean't that you could put alot of HP to it. Could'nt get any help but I still think it would be a cool ride and great in rough water.
This is great guys.
What is the Spec lacking that the other boats might have to make it stable at 100+?
I was thinking of moving my dash back about 8" and making a long deck out of it. Any thoughts?
Capsule? APBA? Hmmm.
Are you talking capsule or enclosed cockpit? Are the super vee boats capsules?
Oh man, now my head is spinning...I HATE the beginning of a project...especially when there are several REAL cool ways to go. Bottom line is that I'd like this boat to run 100. and be stable enough to drive it at 100, not just go that fast. Am I being unrealistic?
Here's a few pics. It's ugly, but really sound. From here, I could go any direction.
steel
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6777&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6778&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6779&stc=1

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-20-2004, 06:53 PM
This is my pic. This boat was originally Bill Fosters boat. When Kelly Oliver took possesion they ran a blower motor in GN 1 and ran the Enduro winning thier class one year (I think 96) . Kelly flipped the boat at the 97 Bluewater race (GN-1) going into the first turn. I would guess with Kelly's blower motor the boat would run over 100.
After that flip I hadn't seen that boat until Richard showed up with it at the river. Richard then traded it to the Harpers for the Turbo Hallet.
The Harpers and Richard ran that boat well above 85 and it it always looked solid. Our own boat w h o r e Jetboat Guru has wheeled it too.
Jerry :cool:

Dave Sammons
10-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Dave, exlpain "transomwalking" please. My 21' Howard pivots around the tail end sometimes when I'm the only one in it. I doesn't seem to do it when I have a passenger.
Sorry I didn't get back to you last week.
Here's a couple pictures of the Hallet in the thread that we'll use as examples.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517Resize_of_V_B.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517Resize_of_V_B_pass_2.jpg
The first picture shows the boat looking real good. Note how much of the Cav plate is visible. Think about how little of that deep V of the boat is really riding on. Above 90mph, when you think of how much the prop is lifting the boat out of the water, that V, depending on the conditions, will "pivot" off the prop, depending on the type of water you're running through. In the second shot, looking at the water, he probably experienced a bit of "Transomwalk" at some point. Rollers running at angles to your forward progress will bring it on.. When you realize how critical motor placement, shaft angle, and fin placement is to a boat's handling, adding even another 150 pounds next to the driver will dramatically change the ride of a boat. Most of your hotrod daycruisers also have these giant gas tanks on each side, don't even think about what kind of weight transfer that brings into play! Usually though, before you get into a "Transomwalk" situation, the boat will "Chinewalk" or roll from side to side. This motion is very predictable and most of the time you can drive through it. This motion also goes away with better weight distribution.
Another habit the daycruisers have is what I refer to as "Hooking". This happens as you decelarate and the boat begins to set back down in the water from the propshaft forward. The V and turnfins(which in most daycruisers are too far forward) hook the water and cause the boat to pull one way or the other, often to the left. This action can get your attention in a hurry!
There are ways to minimize all these problems though, but, depending on set up, every boat needs something a little different. One of the ways is illustrated in the picture below:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517vb3.jpg
The v-ed out plates will settle alot of the above issues down and make the boat more predictable at high speeds. I was asked to evaluate a 21 foot Howard like yours with a blown/inj/gas motor in it. Upon driving it, I went through all the above problems. When I took the owner with me, it settled down and GPSed the same MPH(88). I v-ed the plates out to eliminate some of the "dirty" water and the boat handled much better. It picked up a couple mph, threw about a 70ft tail and was a pleasure to drive. I pulled the guy on his speedski from Parker Dam to Bluewater and back at about 75mph and couldn't have been more comfortable.
I guess I ran a little long, but I hope this helps. The above is just my opinion and I'm sure there may be some different thoughts, but, get all the information you can and start making some changes. It's half the fun of owning one of these things!

VD CRUISER
10-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks Dave, You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, although I don't seem to have the problem until approx, 107-110 mph. Adding 1 or 2 people to the boat does tame it down real well. We made a 105 mph pass with 3 people in the boat, and it was very stable and the water was a little sloppy. My strut angle has been changed to 7.5 deg and the barrel is 23.5" from the transom, and there is a 3" wide straight gap between the plates. The engine, however is fairly close to the transom. Do you think "V-ing" the plates out some would help, or what else would you suggest?

steelcomp
10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dave, You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, although I don't seem to have the problem until approx, 107-110 mph. Adding 1 or 2 people to the boat does tame it down real well. We made a 105 mph pass with 3 people in the boat, and it was very stable and the water was a little sloppy. My strut angle has been changed to 7.5 deg and the barrel is 23.5" from the transom, and there is a 3" wide straight gap between the plates. The engine, however is fairly close to the transom. Do you think "V-ing" the plates out some would help, or what else would you suggest?
Cruiser...what boat do you have? I'm logging info on v bottom v drives. BTW...I was stationed in Newport News...Fort Eustis. (Guess that's more in Denbigh) Read that under your name and had some flashbacks!
What power are you running for that kind of speed? How 'bout gears and prop?
Thanks
steel

VD CRUISER
10-25-2004, 04:42 AM
Damn steelcomp, I can hear them firing weapons at Fort Eustis when I'm out doors,its about a mile away, across the Warwick river. My boat is a 21' Howard, (Spectra), and the engine is a 547ci Chevy with Canfield, (350cc), heads 8.3 to 1 comp.,10:71 Mooneyham, 10-12 lbs boost, 2 1050 Holleys, Superchiller, flat tappet Clay Smith cam, Dually scoop with flame arresters, and Lightning thru transom headers. I run 48% gears in the split case Casale with a 11 3/4 x16 Menkens 2 blade for speed and a 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 Menkens 3 blade for cruising. The engine will go about 6400-6500 rpm with the 2 blade and about 6000 with the 3 blade. The boat has a full interior with floor boards. Other than the strut changes mentioned above, I have done some blueprint work on the bottom. There was some "hook" in the cav. plate recess and some other irregularities. I'm really satisfied with the way it runs/handles, just striving for "perfection" here. :D

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Damn steelcomp, I can hear them firing weapons at Fort Eustis when I'm out doors,its about a mile away, across the Warwick river. My boat is a 21' Howard, (Spectra), and the engine is a 547ci Chevy with Canfield, (350cc), heads 8.3 to 1 comp.,10:71 Mooneyham, 10-12 lbs boost, 2 1050 Holleys, Superchiller, flat tappet Clay Smith cam, Dually scoop with flame arresters, and Lightning thru transom headers. I run 48% gears in the split case Casale with a 11 3/4 x16 Menkens 2 blade for speed and a 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 Menkens 3 blade for cruising. The engine will go about 6400-6500 rpm with the 2 blade and about 6000 with the 3 blade. The boat has a full interior with floor boards. Other than the strut changes mentioned above, I have done some blueprint work on the bottom. There was some "hook" in the cav. plate recess and some other irregularities. I'm really satisfied with the way it runs/handles, just striving for "perfection" here. :D
Thanks, Cruiser.
Ever heard of the Cue and Cushion in Denbigh? Old hangout...that was about '83-'84. That and the bowliing alley.
Your boat sounds Bad AAAAsss!
Later.

VD CRUISER
10-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Not familiar with the hangouts. Really have enjoyed this thread though, some good information on here, hope its not dead yet. Hope Dave Sammons will reply to my last question, his comments were very informative. I had thought about getting a smaller boat, I figured it would be quicker and faster. :confused:

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Not familiar with the hangouts. Really have enjoyed this thread though, some good information on here, hope its not dead yet. Hope Dave Sammons will reply to my last question, his comments were very informative. I had thought about getting a smaller boat, I figured they would me quicker and faster. :confused:
Cruiser...can you post some pics of your set up? Looking for rigging and install pics...v-drive, strut and steering, stuff like that.
Hey, a 21 footer that will run 110. Isn't that just about the best of both worlds...small enough to be quick ( reasonably) but big enough to be safe, and carry some friends? I know the way I'm going, my 19 is going to end up with only two seats. Two very fun seats, though. To be sure! :cool: :D
Thanks,
steel

coolchange
10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Didn't Teague kind of dominate the GN class in a Spectra 19 Back in the day?

haulina29
10-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Back in the day Teague had somekinda Schiada exactly what bottom it had I couldnt tell you

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Didn't Teague kind of dominate the GN class in a Spectra 19 Back in the day?
I know the 19 Spectra won the four hour Parker two years running, and Teague was involved in that. It was a jet, though. He drove at one point, if I'm not mistaken.

SPECTRABRENT
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Teague did run a Spectra 19 as a GN boat.
Rick Fowler drove & rigged the (Spectra Marine) Spectra 19 jet that won the Parker 9 hour Enduro.
Brent

coolchange
10-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Thank you. It was cream and brown # GN19 (?) Had a rack with tanks on the top um, err, ummm, circa, umm ,he was at a ski race we ran in...1980?

SPECTRABRENT
10-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Teagues boat was GN77 not GN19. That trailer (FOTO GRAFIX) was from the Spectra 19 jet that won the Parker 9 hour. Teague still has the trailer @ his shop.
Brent

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Didn't I see an old Spectra 19 advertisement about winning the Parker, with Teague's name mentioned?

Dave Sammons
10-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Barrel placement is perfect, as is strut angle. Couple questions. How far is it from the transom to the motor plate(should be at least 23", hopefully closer to 27). How far from the transom to the lead edge of the turnfins(should be no more than 94"). Sounds like she works pretty well considering the MPH you run. I'm guess'in the motor placement is ok. As far as V-ing the plates out further, might tame it down a bit, all depends on how the turnbuckles lay out. Hate to see you chop the plates up too bad. Drove a 100mph Connelly with 11 and a half inches of straight gap between the plates. How close are the first tunbuckle pads or water pickups to the inside edge of the plates?

VD CRUISER
10-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Dave, I just uploaded a picture of the gap in the plate. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1410100_1651-med.JPG
I'll have to take the other dimensions tomorrow.
steelcomp, look in the image center, I loaded some pictures of the indside of the boat, and some of the strut. I don't know if they will help you or not.

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Dave...are there numbers like this available for my set up without seeing the boat? I'm starting from scratch and would rather do this once. Scrapped the idea of moving the dash back. I'll have the boat upside down soon...what's the first thing to look for? There's a pretty good hook in it, that I already know. Is there a specific shape or countour (rocker) I want on this bottom?
Thanks
steel

SPECTRABRENT
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Dave,
When you do my cav. plates, I want the plate(s) to go all the way across the transom. I dont like the gap by the rudder.
Brent

SPECTRABRENT
10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Steelcomp,
Back when Spectra was doing the enduro & ski races, Rick Fowler was the guy who rigged & drove (along with Bob Francis) both of the Spectra Marine jet boat(s) Black Spectra 18 & White Spectra 19. From what I have been told Rick was among the best riggers of that era for race boat. I think he did most of the v-drive installations too. I am sure Bob Teague did some work on those boats, but did not get the credit.
Brent

Dave Sammons
10-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Dave...are there numbers like this available for my set up without seeing the boat? I'm starting from scratch and would rather do this once. Scrapped the idea of moving the dash back. I'll have the boat upside down soon...what's the first thing to look for? There's a pretty good hook in it, that I already know. Is there a specific shape or countour (rocker) I want on this bottom?
Thanks
steel
VD Cruisers numbers are right on as far as strut angle and barrel depth. V-Drive will go in at 96". Front of fin just behind it at around 93". I would like to know where that other Spectra's motor was at, cause the boat worked real good. Should've measured it when I had it at the shop. I can track down the Harper's number and have them measure where it's sitt'in. To Comment on SpectraBrent's post, I believe this boat was rigged by Gil Gilbreath. As far as the bottom, I would think get the hook out of it, clean up the strakes and she should be good to go.

Dave Sammons
10-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Dave,
When you do my cav. plates, I want the plate(s) to go all the way across the transom. I dont like the gap by the rudder.
Brent
That's the plan. Gonna hide your trick stainless rudder though!!! :D :D :D

VD CRUISER
10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Here are the measurements: Transom to front of fin = 65.5" Bottom to C/L of strut = 6" Inside of transom to engine mount plate = 17" Iinside of transom to C/L of V-drive = 109"
The engine was located close to the transom, before the strut angle and location was changed, to help carry the bow and make as much interior room as possible. I had thought that moving the motor forward a little might help. I can move it 1.5" to 2" without interfering with the back seat. Will that little bit make any difference ?

Dave Sammons
10-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Here are the measurements: Transom to front of fin = 65.5" Bottom to C/L of strut = 6" Inside of transom to engine mount plate = 17" Iinside of transom to C/L of V-drive = 109"
The engine was located close to the transom, before the strut angle and location was changed, to help carry the bow and make as much interior room as possible. I had thought that moving the motor forward a little might help. I can move it 1.5" to 2" without interfering with the back seat. Will that little bit make any difference ?
If it's just a matter of drilling 4 new holes without having to move anything else(Tranny support, fuel & gas lines, electrical), I'd move it. Every little bit helps. The fin is pretty far back, maybe thats why the boat works so well at the high MPH you run. :idea: :idea: :idea:

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 08:31 PM
If it's just a matter of drilling 4 new holes without having to move anything else(Tranny support, fuel & gas lines, electrical), I'd move it. Every little bit helps. The fin is pretty far back, maybe thats why the boat works so well at the high MPH you run. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Then it's not a turn fin, it's a go straight fin.

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Dave, thanks for the numbers, and all the rest of the good info here. This is a good thread for a beginner.
I see two different styles of rudder. What's the difference, why do you use one instead of the other? Which will I use on my Spectra?

Dave Sammons
10-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Dave, thanks for the numbers, and all the rest of the good info here. This is a good thread for a beginner.
I see two different styles of rudder. What's the difference, why do you use one instead of the other? Which will I use on my Spectra?
Most of the parts houses call the rudder you need, an "SK" rudder. It's wider than a standard flatbottom style, although it is used on most circle race boats.

superdave013
10-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Teague did run a Spectra 19 as a GN boat.
Rick Fowler drove & rigged the (Spectra Marine) Spectra 19 jet that won the Parker 9 hour Enduro.
Brent
I got to take that jet boat around Buena Vista once. :D Hands down the coolest jet boat I've ever been in. Would love to see it surface again and get restored.

SPECTRABRENT
10-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Dave,
That would be a great boat to restore & drive in those old time circle races.
I would love to own that boat.
Brent

hack job
10-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Dave,
That would be a great boat to restore & drive in those old time circle races.
I would love to own that boat.
Brent
me too;)