PDA

View Full Version : ultra nice

johnny8052
04-13-2006, 08:05 PM
i just posted a thread about lightning and was grateful for all the responses. I just found out i can afford the ultra 21 stealth with the 496. can it easily reach 70? are they good boats?

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 08:24 PM
see Havasu Dreamin's post in your other thread...that will really help make up your mind on what is right for you
how many people will usually go out with you?
where do you plan to do most of your boating etc??

hot4teacher
04-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I have the ultra 23 shadow deck with 496 HO. We hit 79 on GPS. They are great boats, and love it.

MOBrien
04-14-2006, 07:58 AM
just remember, the stealth is nowhere near as quick as a shadow deck.
V hull vs. cat hull. apples to watermellons.

MOBrien
04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
I have the ultra 23 shadow deck with 496 HO. We hit 79 on GPS. They are great boats, and love it.
BTW, nice rig H4T. I'm in EG. Let's hit the river sometime........we're out there a lot!!

hot4teacher
04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
sounds like fun, lets do it.

sigepmock
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
We got a 21 Stealth with the 6.2L and with a big stereo, all our gear, and lots of gas we can hit 65mph. We looked at the 496 when we got ours but didn't think the slight extra speed, larger gas consumption, and lost floor/seating space was worth it. We talked with several other 21 Stealth owners and the consensous was that the 6.2L was the best size motor for the boat. Lots of power and torque with out the extra weight, not to mention the insurance is a lot cheaper.
Just my $.02. We love our boat and love the service we get from Ultra. We'll do all we can to make sure our next boat is an Ultra too.
Chris Mock

SDLifesaver
04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
79? How many people, how much fuel, no accessories? That is a tall number for 425 ponies. I'm not saying it didn't happen but there has to be some part of the story left out. If 496HO's were doing this regularly then the $15,000 upgrade to the 525 would be pointless.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
79? How many people, how much fuel, no accessories? That is a tall number for 425 ponies. I'm not saying it didn't happen but there has to be some part of the story left out. If 496HO's were doing this regularly then the $15,000 upgrade to the 525 would be pointless.
I was thinking the same thing.

hot4teacher
04-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Three people on board, no gear, tiny ice chest, and 20 gallons of gas. I'm not making this stuff up. I told Bob, at Ultra that I wanted the boat to go 80. He suggested the 496HO. They test drove the boat before delivery and told us we would be happy with the speed. We love the boat and it performs like they said it would.

Supultlbich
04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Sounds a bit fishy to me, not many builders if any recomend the HO if the customer wants to go 80mph...........sounds to me like your speedo was having a good day!!!

SDLifesaver
04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Three people on board, no gear, tiny ice chest, and 20 gallons of gas. I'm not making this stuff up. I told Bob, at Ultra that I wanted the boat to go 80. He suggested the 496HO. They test drove the boat before delivery and told us we would be happy with the speed. We love the boat and it performs like they said it would.
OK, OK I kinda believe you. Maybe a pitot gauge said 79 but I live really close to Ultra and I may just arrange a ride in one of these boats to see for myself. If you are in havasu and take me for a ride and that boat gets anywhere near 79mph on a GPS that was made in the 21st century I will wear an Ultra hat all day while I drive my new Howard!

Restless22
04-15-2006, 09:17 AM
I can totally agree with h4t. I was right next to him a few weeks ago. When I past him he was at 80 ish on my gps... I was friggen suprised! They are nice boats. Looks great in the water!

SDLifesaver
04-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I can totally agree with h4t. I was right next to him a few weeks ago. When I past him he was at 80 ish on my gps... I was friggen suprised! They are nice boats. Looks great in the water!
I'm convinced that the 2 of you are in cahoots on this one. I am still not sold on 80mph with stock 425 HP.

Supultlbich
04-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm convinced that the 2 of you are in cahoots on this one. I am still not sold on 80mph with stock 425 HP.
You just want to wear that Ultra Shirt!!!!! Hell, I'll wear one too!! But it wont happen :)

Havasu_Dreamin
04-15-2006, 12:46 PM
When I past him he was at 80 ish on my gps...
You passed him and YOUR gps said 80ish? Was he using your GPS in his boat or is that what your GPS in your boat said when you passed him? Obviously if it is the latter that has no bearing on his speed.

SDLifesaver
04-16-2006, 08:28 AM
You just want to wear that Ultra Shirt!!!!! Hell, I'll wear one too!! But it wont happen :)
I think I would rather wear a Brokeback Mountain t-shirt than anything with Ultra Custom Boats on it. :rollside: :rollside: :crossx:

phebus
04-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I remember reading in either Powerboat Mag, or ***boat Mag about a Baja with a 496HO that was tested at 78.9mph. I think they said it was the fastest boat with a 496HO that had been tested. It was a small vee, and had a light layup. We all know how the magazine tests go, so it was probably done with a skinny Ethiopian, a sniff of fuel, and no gear at all on board. Hell that Ethiopian may have even been sitting on a milk crate.
Bottom line, if you hit 79 in a 23 Ultra Deck, it was running good, and trimmed just right (I bet that 23 is a pretty light boat). I think it is possible, because another 496HO has gotten there before, and I have seen 70.1 in my Carrera 26' deck, on a cool day, with just me, and minimal gear (but a heavy ass stereo, and of course an ice chest).
Congratulations.

NOTALENT
04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
How do the 23ft decks handle the havasu chop??

NorCalCat
04-16-2006, 09:31 AM
just remember, the stealth is nowhere near as quick as a shadow deck.
V hull vs. cat hull. apples to watermellons.
Watermellons ha?
MOB, you think yo will make it to Clear Lake this year? ZZ Top maybe? Larry the Cable guy?

Schubyd
04-16-2006, 04:56 PM
On the East coast, I have a 21 Stealth with a 350 mag that runs 62 on gps at 5100 rpm. My other friends are the east coast reps for ultra and the 23 deck has been in the low to mid 70's in medium chop.

THOR
04-17-2006, 06:28 AM
I think it is possible, because another 496HO has gotten there before
Congratulations.
Right here dude. 79.8mph on GPS with my 247 with an HO.

phebus
04-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Right here dude. 79.8mph on GPS with my 247 with an HO.
O.K. now the bullshit is getting deeeeeeeeep!!!!!
Just screwing with you Thor :)

THOR
04-17-2006, 07:25 AM
O.K. now the bullshit is getting deeeeeeeeep!!!!!
Just screwing with you Thor :)
Much like you, I was running a light load, low fuel and was on the Atkins diet for six months prior. :)
I can hit 73-74 fully loaded though.

phebus
04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Sounds to me that you have it propped just right, and you know how to trim it :)

ULTRA28
04-17-2006, 08:56 AM
The 21 Stealth with a 496 Mag will tap right about 70. It's a pretty big engine for a 21. I normally wouldn't suggest it. I know you're not asking about the 23, but as long as it has been brought up. Our 23 with a 496 mag will run in the low 70s and with an HO the mid to high 70s. That is the same thing our salesmen tell customers. If a customer is looking for an 80 mph boat we would tell them that an HO will get them close and they will be happy with the HO, especially for the price. We have had them to 79 with an HO, on radar, in the past. It really depends on how high we set the X dimension, how it is propped, weather and water conditions. So Hot4teacher probably did see 79 with his boat. The problem with setting the X that high is the engine hatch ends up much taller. Thanks to Boat Bling we are able to bring down the hatch 1/2".
Don't worry Nick, I'm not about to take you for a ride and have you wear an Ultra shirt. I've met you before, and believe me, I can see you in the Brokeback Mountain shirt way before the Ultra shirt anyhow. :D

dicudmore
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
The 21 Stealth with a 496 Mag will tap right about 70. It's a pretty big engine for a 21. I normally wouldn't suggest it. I know you're not asking about the 23, but as long as it has been brought up. Our 23 with a 496 mag will run in the low 70s and with an HO the mid to high 70s. That is the same thing our salesmen tell customers. If a customer is looking for an 80 mph boat we would tell them that an HO will get them close and they will be happy with the HO, especially for the price. We have had them to 79 with an HO, on radar, in the past. It really depends on how high we set the X dimension, how it is propped, weather and water conditions. So Hot4teacher probably did see 79 with his boat. The problem with setting the X that high is the engine hatch ends up much taller. Thanks to Boat Bling we are able to bring down the hatch 1/2".
Don't worry Nick, I'm not about to take you for a ride and have you wear an Ultra shirt. I've met you before, and believe me, I can see you in the Brokeback Mountain shirt way before the Ultra shirt anyhow. :D
that there may just be post of the day :D

SDLifesaver
04-17-2006, 11:46 AM
You got me. :crossx:

phebus
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
What is the weight of the 23' with the 496HO? Looks like a pretty light boat, and the top end numbers seem to prove that out. Very nice speed figures.