PDA

View Full Version : ultra vs. cheetah

johnny8052
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
i freaking love the 21 ultra stealth. I will be able to fit it in garage and i love the options, but with cheetah i can get a bigger boat that won't fit in my garage. the price is right with cheetah, but i love the ultra. help.

pixilatedpussy
04-13-2006, 08:12 PM
i freaking love the 21 ultra stealth. I will be able to fit it in garage and i love the options, but with cheetah i can get a bigger boat that won't fit in my garage. the price is right with cheetah, but i love the ultra. help.
We wanted an Ultra at first....then we saw the 24 Ft Cheetah Stiletto & it was all over! We love our Cheetah! :rollside:

dicudmore
04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
where you going to use it? Certain features you're looking for in the boat etc??
I have owned boats from both companies, and would buy from either of them again without hesitation...

shadow
04-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Take the time and go down to Ultra in San Diego,check out some boats at various stages of being put together.
Go to Cheetah and check out some boats at various stages of being put together.All your questions will be answered,it will be well worth your time when all said and done.I will say this for a fact there is no comparison in quality.Notice i didn't say which, :) just decide for yourself.

jbtrailerjim
04-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Take the time and go down to Ultra in San Diego,check out some boats at various stages of being put together.
Go to Cheetah and check out some boats at various stages of being put together.All your questions will be answered,it will be well worth your time when all said and done.I will say this for a fact there is no comparison in quality.Notice i didn't say which, :) just decide for yourself.
That is good advise. There is a difference and a reason why Ultra's cost more. Check out the rigging on both boats. Ultra through bolts all of their hardware. Don't just look at gel coats. Look at little things. Does Chettah triple stitch their interior? Do they resin coat all of their bare wood on the hull? Things like this is what make a boat last longer and hold up over the years of abuse they take bouncing around on the lake.
I'm not saying Chettah is a bad boat but there is a reason they are cheaper. Don't listen to the argument that they don't advertise much or do boat shows and that is how they offer a boat for a cheaper price.
In the end though, buy what you can afford and whatever makes you happy. Just do your research before you plunk down a chunk of dough on a new boat.
BTW...I don't work for Ultra. I just am a happy owner of one and wouldn't even hesitate to buy another when I'm in the market for a new boat.

NashvilleBound
04-14-2006, 09:35 AM
no question about it...Ultra. Its not even debatable from my perspective.

SDLifesaver
04-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Johnny, listen to what your saying. "More boat for less money" There is probably some inflation of price because of the name but history has proven that you get what you pay for. Both are nice boats but in the long run the truth will prevail. Now, your second delima. Garage length. Will the Cheetah fit with a swing tongue? Do yourself a faver and make sure because if you boat on Havasu, more boat is better. It is always better to store your investment indoors because of obvious reasons. How big is your garage? What is the length of both boats? What is the price difference out the door? What options are you getting and doing without for the prices? We just did this and did our homework thoroughly. We went with a big boat and a more expensive/prstigious builder for many reasons. Good luck.

Focker
04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
YA DARREL
THATS A NICE FOCKEN CHEETAH YA GOT THERE :)

LUVNLIFE
04-15-2006, 04:53 PM
YA DARREL
THATS A NICE FOCKEN CHEETAH YA GOT THERE :)
That there is funny :p

watergun4u
04-15-2006, 09:50 PM
maybe this will help you make a choice, between the two boats!
I worked for West Coast Ultra Custom boats for a number of years, and as far as i am concerened, ultra is a very well built boat, all hand layed hulls, the gel is great, and the interior is surpurb, the craftsmens ship is top notch, and no coners are cut, the riggings are perfect, and when you open the hatch you see the custom riggins, and the best part is they stand by there boats you have any problems and if your warrenty is still good, or if it is something simple, they will take care of you the right way, not many shops like that!
So with my knowledge, of ultra boats, i feel that they are better boat then cheeth, dont get me wrong, not knocking cheeth, but ultra is a better built boat hands down! :cool:

DRMCAT
04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
The proof is in the puddin'. Compare both and see which one is left holding lemons.
http://mud.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/1217457050
I think it will be quite clear.

bigq
04-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I think this one is still for sale:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah.JPG
I would tend to lean to the Ultra.

NOTALENT
04-16-2006, 09:12 AM
That is fockin scary!

LUVNLIFE
04-16-2006, 09:28 AM
That right there is a downright scary picture. :2purples:

Biglue
04-16-2006, 09:44 AM
That is a scary f'n picture there man. Anyone know the story behind it?

nodigg
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Y'all know I love these threads! :argue: :rollside:
It's simple, are you looking for the most bang for your buck? or is your budget flexible and status is important? Are you going to go fast all day or just tie up and party? Make the locical choice for your personal use and situation. Even if that means spending 250 grand to impress everyone (including yourself). Or conversely, 45k on a 24' deck boat that will give you more smiles per dollar than any other (IMO)
Hands down, no-one can logically argue against Cheetah giving you the most smiles for your dinero. Are they built with less money? YES! do they get you all over the lake for less money? YES! Are they as expensive to build? NO! Do they pass this savings on to the cunsumer? YES! Do they have some failed hulls due to bad driving? YES! Do other boats? YES! Does the owner of the company take car of his customers? YES YES YES! :)
Decide how you want to spend the cash you earn and how often you will use it and in what way and decide for yourself. In any event, emotion and the importance of looking good comes in to play for all of us when selecting a boat that costs more than our daily transporation vehicles cost.
If you decide on Cheetah, you will not be dissapointed if you think of your your savings per hour of use every outing. As for me, I took the savings and bought a house and a tow vehicle. I am building a new Cheetah now after 8 years of the first one and could pay for it with the price differential versus higher cost boat.
One more thing. Let's say you buy a cheetah for 40k and another brand costs 80k for the apx same boat. Would you rather have an option to build a NEW boat after a year or two of finding out what you like and still spend no more than the same as the expensive boat costs in the first place?? Or is it more improtant to you to have a particular brand? I LOVE the high priced builder's boats! But I love my Cheetah more. It just makes the most monetary sense for my situation.
Remember, the same shop that builds hulls for, E-ticket, Dominator and six? others, build the hulls for Cheetah.
Do your homework and good luck with whatever you decide upon. They are ALL fun. I had a lot of smiles on my Glastron!

Havasu_Dreamin
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Let's say you buy a cheetah for 40k and another brand costs 80k for the apx same boat. Would you rather have an option to build a NEW boat after a year or two of finding out what you like and still spend no more than the same as the expensive boat costs in the first place?? Or is it more improtant to you to have a particular brand? I LOVE the high priced builder's boats! But I love my Cheetah more. It just makes the most monetary sense for my situation.
There is a reason that the Cheetah, in the example given above, is $40k less, the method of construction.
Remember, the same shop that builds hulls for, E-ticket, Dominator and six? others, build the hulls for Cheetah.
That has no bearing unless the layup schedule, and materials, for each boat are exactly the same.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-16-2006, 12:37 PM
That is a scary f'n picture there man. Anyone know the story behind it?
That's the boat was talken out in Spring 05 on a day in which everyone else was staying in the channel. Ended up going WAY to fast for conditions and stuffed it with loss of life as a result. :frown:

LUVNLIFE
04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Was that the one in front of BML?

phebus
04-16-2006, 01:35 PM
That's the boat was talken out in Spring 05 on a day in which everyone else was staying in the channel. Ended up going WAY to fast for conditions and stuffed it with loss of life as a result. :frown:
To take it further, that boat was stolen from a guy by his drunk aquaintences, and taken out on a terribly windy day (I was there), and yes, it was stuffed.
I don't think it's fair to criticize the boats construction, when who knows how any boat would have held up, while alledgedly getting stuffed while going full throttle (the boat was supposedly taken after the passengers complained the driver wouldn't drive fast enough, and they wanted to see how fast it would go).

phebus
04-16-2006, 01:48 PM
And yes, the crash site was in front of BML, right before sunset.

LUVNLIFE
04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Yep that's the crash I was thinking about. BS circumstances that led to the accident. :yuk:

nodigg
04-16-2006, 04:56 PM
There is a reason that the Cheetah, in the example given above, is $40k less, the method of construction.
You are correct! Couldn't agree more. Question can be...does the intended use justify the extra costs (wait, since we are talking boats there IS no justification) or at least satisfy some inner longing for the buyer. If the higher price tag/hiqher quality tips the scales for a buyer (and it does for most), go the way your decision takes you. If you got the bucks, go for the dream not the reality.
(unless you just HAVE to invest the extra cash in an asset instead) .
:rollside:

BigDoug
04-17-2006, 01:54 AM
I have one of bobs first built Cheetah Stilletos (92), it's as clean and nice as almost any new one today and i love it, i couldn't afford a ultra or eliminator but could with a used cheetah, plus it gets me out on the water to meet most of you folks too, i don't care what anyone says about my boat cause i'll beat them up anyways :cry:
It's about getting on the water and enjoying that life style with friends and family that counts !!!! :)

LUVNLIFE
04-17-2006, 04:00 AM
I have one of bobs first built Cheetah Stilletos (92), it's as clean and nice as almost any new one today and i love it, i couldn't afford a ultra or eliminator but could with a used cheetah, plus it gets me out on the water to meet most of you folks too, i don't care what anyone says about my boat cause i'll beat them up anyways :cry:
It's about getting on the water and enjoying that life style with friends and family that counts !!!! :)
Who are you going to beat up? :idea: I saw Bigamist put you in a head lock with one arm tied behind his back. :jawdrop: Come to think of it I saw a one legged man beat you in an asskicking contest :hammerhea :2purples:
Hey Doug how are you and the Mrs. doing? :D :D

Sandbar Mike
04-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Ultra builds a better product and has more updated emenities.
24 Cheetah will handle rough water much better than the 21 Ultra. That makes all the difference in the world.
If it were me, I'd buy the Cheetah. Before my Force I had the cheetah 23 Tunnel, it was a great boat and handled 2-3' chop very well.
Ah what the hell, get an Ultra Shadow Cat. :boxed:

BigDoug
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Cale, your pushing your luck here !!! :220v:
I can verbally assault Bigamist and make him cry. :cry:

LUVNLIFE
04-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Cale, your pushing your luck here !!! :220v:
I can verbally assault Bigamist and make him cry. :cry:
Oh tuff guy, from 300 miles away :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Partycattin
04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I parked next to that boat at the Turtle last summer. The gelcoat was awesome (especially compared to prior Cheetah work I'd seen). That is one F'd up open bow.

Partycattin
04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I had a 21' boat that we bought in Havasu back when you could run a 21 out there and not get beat to death. I wouldn't buy a boat that size now if I knew Havasu/Mead/Mojave were my main boating places.
Great size for ski lakes like Naci and San Antonio

LUVNLIFE
04-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I parked next to that boat at the Turtle last summer. The gelcoat was awesome (especially compared to prior Cheetah work I'd seen). That is one F'd up open bow.
From what I understand, a couple of A-Hole friends of the owner thought it would be cute to swipe his keys after it was parked for the day and see what the boat could do. This was on a less than desirable day and the owner wouldn't open it up.

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
From what I understand, a couple of A-Hole friends of the owner thought it would be cute to swipe his keys after it was parked for the day and see what the boat could do. This was on a less than desirable day and the owner wouldn't open it up.
Are they still friends? :mad:

LUVNLIFE
04-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Wouldn't be in my world :mad: :crossx: :220v:

dicudmore
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
they died...

THATJEFFGUY
04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
You can buy that one....HALF OFF !!

atomickitn
04-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Y'all know I love these threads! :argue: :rollside:
It's simple, are you looking for the most bang for your buck? or is your budget flexible and status is important? Are you going to go fast all day or just tie up and party? Make the locical choice for your personal use and situation. Even if that means spending 250 grand to impress everyone (including yourself). Or conversely, 45k on a 24' deck boat that will give you more smiles per dollar than any other (IMO)
Hands down, no-one can logically argue against Cheetah giving you the most smiles for your dinero. Are they built with less money? YES! do they get you all over the lake for less money? YES! Are they as expensive to build? NO! Do they pass this savings on to the cunsumer? YES! Do they have some failed hulls due to bad driving? YES! Do other boats? YES! Does the owner of the company take car of his customers? YES YES YES! :)
Decide how you want to spend the cash you earn and how often you will use it and in what way and decide for yourself. In any event, emotion and the importance of looking good comes in to play for all of us when selecting a boat that costs more than our daily transporation vehicles cost.
If you decide on Cheetah, you will not be dissapointed if you think of your your savings per hour of use every outing. As for me, I took the savings and bought a house and a tow vehicle. I am building a new Cheetah now after 8 years of the first one and could pay for it with the price differential versus higher cost boat.
One more thing. Let's say you buy a cheetah for 40k and another brand costs 80k for the apx same boat. Would you rather have an option to build a NEW boat after a year or two of finding out what you like and still spend no more than the same as the expensive boat costs in the first place?? Or is it more improtant to you to have a particular brand? I LOVE the high priced builder's boats! But I love my Cheetah more. It just makes the most monetary sense for my situation.
Do your homework and good luck with whatever you decide upon. They are ALL fun. I had a lot of smiles on my Glastron!
..lets get to the bottom of this once and for all........what are all of the manufactures using to build there boats.............fiber glass and resin and wood......yep !!!ok soo there are only a small hand full of resin/fiber glass manufacters/and dist's.....sooo think about this ???????really what your left with is how well/or trick all the componets get placed in the boats and the type of hardware is used..... sooo do you need to pay for a ...NAME..?
all of the boat builders will biuld you what ever you ask for ,all it takes is $$$$$....I for one build for dana boats , and i own a cheetah deck ,,,,and i love my ride... end of discussion!...thanks for playing :) along

jayd_jr
04-19-2006, 03:08 PM
..lets get to the bottom of this once and for all........what are all of the manufactures using to build there boats.............fiber glass and resin and wood......yep !!!ok soo there are only a small hand full of resin/fiber glass manufacters/and dist's.....sooo think about this ???????really what your left with is how well/or trick all the componets get placed in the boats and the type of hardware is used..... sooo do you need to pay for a ...NAME..?
all of the boat builders will biuld you what ever you ask for ,all it takes is $$$$$....I for one build for dana boats , and i own a cheetah deck ,,,,and i love my ride... end of discussion!...thanks for playing :) along
I could not agree more with Bobby (atomickitten) and NODIGG. I have not one complaint about my boat and the way Bob has taken care of the issues( which have been minimal) and I have had it for a whole season. I can go all the places the DCB's , Eliminators and so on go, But do it for alot less and have as much fun or more.

atomickitn
04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
this is due to driver...(DRIVER).. error!

nodigg
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Ya know if the pic was of a more costly boat, the comment would be more like, "man that dude must have been wasted. inexperienced and haulin' arse".

dicudmore
04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Ya know if the pic was of a more costly boat, the comment would be more like, "man that dude must have been wasted. inexperienced and haulin' arse".
yup...it is what it is...
I can live with my rep of being a Cheetah cheer-leader :cool:

nodigg
04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, who really cares what kind of boat we own really. Its about gettin out on the water! (Well for me anyway)

BigDoug
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Im all about that too.. :)

bigq
04-21-2006, 09:05 PM
I hope you're kidding. What about how much material is used, where in the layup it is used, did they wait to long to apply resin or not long enough, how much glass and wood, is it dry before they pull it out or do they pull it early ......
I hope you are just waxing the boats at Dana. :rolleyes:
Maybe this one was a fluke maybe not, but it looks to me that some wood was missing on this layup. Driver error maybe, but would you take this to 90 or 100 MPH on good conditions? Could it be trusted on Havasu chop trying to go over the top of the rollers? I really like the looks of the 24 Cheetah and was considering one, but after looking at the pics i just can't see trusting my families safty to that.

jayd_jr
04-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I hope you're kidding. What about how much material is used, where in the layup it is used, did they wait to long to apply resin or not long enough, how much glass and wood, is it dry before they pull it out or do they pull it early ......
I hope you are just waxing the boats at Dana. :rolleyes:
Maybe this one was a fluke maybe not, but it looks to me that some wood was missing on this layup. Driver error maybe, but would you take this to 90 or 100 MPH on good conditions? Could it be trusted on Havasu chop trying to go over the top of the rollers? I really like the looks of the 24 Cheetah and was considering one, but after looking at the pics i just can't see trusting my families safty to that.
ALl I can say now and I am sure I will speak for some, just like nodigg. Wow can you believe that Eliminator came apart???? Couldnt have been the construction.... If I remember correctly their are pics around here of that. But we dont bash it! All I am trying to say is quit bagging on anybodies boat!

MOBrien
04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Our 24' Cheetah has been nothing but a great boat for us in the two years we've owned it. Trouble free, turn key, and a fun boat to drive. No complaints here.
-MOB

Napanutt
04-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Our 24' Cheetah has been nothing but a great boat for us in the two years we've owned it. Trouble free, turn key, and a fun boat to drive. No complaints here.
-MOB
Glad to here that...we just got a 24 Stilleto in Feb.,had it out three times(damn sunny Calif. weather :rollside: ),nice upgrade from 19 jet and didn't have to finance...

bigq
04-22-2006, 07:11 AM
ALl I can say now and I am sure I will speak for some, just like nodigg. Wow can you believe that Eliminator came apart???? Couldnt have been the construction.... If I remember correctly their are pics around here of that. But we dont bash it! All I am trying to say is quit bagging on anybodies boat!
Yea I see your point, not "bagging " on someones boat is more important then maybe saving a life or two, I get it.
Look, like I said I looked at the 24 Cheetah, i really like the syle of it and this one might have been a fluke. Their is many Cheetahs out that I would guess are just fine.

dicudmore
04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Yea I see your point, not "bagging " on someones boat is more important then maybe saving a life or two, I get it.
Look, like I said I looked at the 24 Cheetah, i really like the syle of it and this one might have been a fluke. Their is many Cheetahs out that I would guess are just fine.
just a thought...most of the time when you see fiberglass damage like that its due to something the person at the controls caused :wink:
ANY boat will break with the right amount of idiot factor or bad luck...

THOR
04-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Question for you Cheetah guys.
Do the Stilletos air out like a tunnel and ride like one? I have always wondered that.
BTW, a good friend of mine has a 24' Cheetah and I was really impressed. I like 'em.

dicudmore
04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Do the Stilletos air out like a tunnel and ride like one? I have always wondered that.
BTW, a good friend of mine has a 24' Cheetah and I was really impressed. I like 'em.
I dont think they pack air like a cat but they are supposed to ride pretty well in moderate chop with the tunnel bottom

bigq
04-22-2006, 09:19 AM
It is a tunnel hull. The center sponson is in the water along with the two outside sponsons. A true cat has no or hardley any center sponson. The tunnel hull will turn much sharper than a cat hull. Stoker is another hull that is a tunnel.

bigq
04-22-2006, 09:22 AM
just a thought...most of the time when you see fiberglass damage like that its due to something the person at the controls caused :wink:
ANY boat will break with the right amount of idiot factor or bad luck...
At times I resemble part of the idiot factor, so I would rather not test that theory. :cool:

SHOTKALLIN
04-22-2006, 03:07 PM
O.K. enough bickering. I just have a few questions regarding Cheetahs.
Who has the fastest Cheetah?
What speeds are they running?
What engine do they have in it?
And how hard do they run it in chop?
At these speeds and conditions, does the Cheetah hull feel unsafe?
Does it feel like it's gonna delaminate?
How is the ride in comparison to other mfg's?
Asside from minimal amount of zip ties how do these boats perform?

nodigg
04-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Come on Bigg! That line is a standard cop out! Saving lives? The wrong guy at the controls can kill at any time on any boat! Or the other guys for that matter! Worlds safest Volvo wagon does not stop people from doing stuff to kill themselves in it!

jayd_jr
04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Come on Bigg! That line is a standard cop out! Saving lives? The wrong guy at the controls can kill at any time on any boat! Or the other guys for that matter! Worlds safest Volvo wagon does not stop people from doing stuff to kill themselves in it!
Thanks Nodigg! I guess some of us get and some dont! :rolleyes:

BoaterX
04-29-2006, 11:08 PM
This is the age old discussion of who's got a bigger weiner, oh.... I mean wallet. I hear this argument all day long on the forum. Yes, do check out the boat construction no matter who you buy from.
You can find at least one horror story from each builder on these forums, then on the same thread some cheerleader who knows nothing of the situation, but owns the same brand will defend and say its not true.
There are well built boats out there at reasonable prices, that's why some of the 70-80k boat builders sell lesser priced boats under different names. C'mon let's be realistic..... Essex is one builder who makes a nice boat and also has a sister company (Laser or Lighting - one of those..whatever) who has a line of cheaper boats.
Do they get their engine packages from the same place? Sure
Do they build and unsafe boat and risk their reputation? No way
Do they get their billet and stainless hardware in the same place? Sure
There's a market for expensive boats and a market for reasonably priced boats. You can't tell me the $80k boat builder (22-24 footers) is not making much money off his boats. I am sure he's making a very nice profit.
I have a buddy who bought a high priced boat between 3 people. They all share the payment and the boat. WTF!!??
I bought my boat afterward for much less and they can't see the difference between the two. Boats are fun, but they are depreciating assets.
Yes, all the cheerleaders are going to jump on this thread.....LMFAO....I can see it already. "Get in my $80k boat and then look at your $50k boat, there's no comparison." Know how A boat is built and you can't go wrong.

BoaterX
04-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Mercedes must be a shitty made car because Princess die got killed in one. Also, Dale Earnhardts car must have been a shitty one that killed him too.
Whether mistake or plain old accident, shit happens and that cheetah pic is widely known to have been a driver error. Yep, just the standard cop out line.

Partycattin
05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I had my Cheetah 21 for about 10 years. There were days that it took a beathing on Havasu with the chop. After 10 years I only had 2 small stress cracks at the front of the open bow.
My Advantage has about the same number of small stress cracks.
My 21' was a mild tunnel hull. Seemed to ride smoother than my dad's similar sized v-hull Crusader.

ButtBuoy
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
It happens! Boats break! It's life! No matter the brand!
Here's Proof (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113360&highlight=broken+boat)
Don't fret people...there were all kinds of boats broken this past weekend....
Ultra's being towed, Eliminators, DCB's, Spectre's, Skater's limping in, Outerlimits limping in...lots of broken boats...its just boating...
Search the board for "Broken Boat" and you see Elim, DCB, Ultra and all the small names too. No brand is immune. Some run their boats hard, some cruise, some crash (driver) errors. It happens to ALL.