PDA

View Full Version : Sorta off topic but here goes

Blown 472
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I was watching the coverage of Mt. St. Helens and they were talking about lava, now this is molten rock from the center of the earth correct? where is the sorce of heat or fuel that ignites the fire to melt the rock? if the earth is solid with this core of heat where is the fuel source coming from?

Kindsvater Flat
10-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Chevron....
hell I don't know!!

Infomaniac
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
The earth is mostly solid but the core is molten. One reason for the magnetic field.
The intense pressure is where the heat comes from and also it is well insulated.
Just my standard reply. On or off topic. :idea:

Blown 472
10-19-2004, 06:53 PM
The earth is mostly solid but the core is molten. One reason for the magnetic field.
The intense pressure is where the heat comes from and also it is well insulated.
Just my standard reply. On or off topic. :idea:
So it sorta works like a deisel?? but doesn't it need air for ignition??

Infomaniac
10-19-2004, 06:59 PM
It's not burning. Not combustion
Same principal as a blower increasing intake temp due to increase in pressure.
Ever try and find TDC in a cyl with your thumb over the hole? Feel hot air due to the pressure.
I am thinking this is Pascal's principal. I know that is the hydraulic principal but I think he found out heat is directly proportional to pressure also.
I could be wrong. Would not be the first time. :cool:

Blown 472
10-19-2004, 07:04 PM
It's not burning. Not combustion
Same principal as a blower increasing intake temp due to increase in pressure.
Ever try and find TDC in a cyl with your thumb over the hole? Feel hot air due to the pressure.
I am thinking this is Pascal's principal. I know that is the hydraulic principal but I think he found out heat is directly proportional to pressure also.
I could be wrong. Would not be the first time. :cool:
Ok, that makes sense. Sure it's not Charles principal (cool name) hhehehehe.

Infomaniac
10-19-2004, 07:21 PM
I think you are right about that.
I could have cheated and done a quick internet search. :redface:
I am probably twice your age and that means 4 times as many brain cells destroyed. :D

78Eliminator
10-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Leave it to Infomaniac to use a the theory and functional operation of a blower motor and relate it to a volcano and the earth's molten core. That is some funny shit!!! One track minds in here, but I love it. :hammerhea

Fiat48
10-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Personally I am only concerned with the brain cell comment. :cry:

78Eliminator
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
What about if you are 32 and your brain is only at 50% due to the alcohol abuse in your 20s? I guess I am going to be in the nursing home by 40.

DaveA
10-19-2004, 08:06 PM
You could think of your head as the Earth, and that zit on your face as Mt St Helens...about to erupt... :D

CARLSON-JET
10-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Heh heh.. I love hot rod/ hot boat analogies... keep on keep'n on ... R.B.

Blown 472
10-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I think you are right about that.
I could have cheated and done a quick internet search. :redface:
I am probably twice your age and that means 4 times as many brain cells destroyed. :D
That would make you like 78 years old. :idea:

10-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Look at it this way, If alcohol [sipping type] kills brain cells, maybe it only kills the weak ones and leaves the good ones alone, if thats the case then I have some of the toughest brain cells known to man. :rollside:

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
I get it! Like sorting out the weak hands. :D

Tinkerer
10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Actually I don't think that pressure has anything to do with it.
Heat from pressure only works when something is compressed - not just having pressure on it.
The heat at the center of the Earth ( only the outer few miles is solid the rest is molten) comes from motion induced by the tides ( I am not talking about the ocean tides) caused by the moon and the sun.
The tides cause the Earth to flex.
This flexing causes motion and this causes heat.
Where you have a thin spot in the Earths crust you get a volcano.

retromek
10-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Keep tinkering You almost got it

Mandella69
10-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Try this link. It explains all about how volcanoes work.
http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/

MudPumper
10-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Actually the earth has an internal heat source that is believed to be caused by three processes. (1) extraterrestrial impacts, (2) gravitational contraction of the Earth's interior, and (3) the radioactive decay of unstable isotopes. The earths core has two parts, the solid inner core and the molted outer core. Above that is the mantle which also contains the asthenosphere which is made up of hot weak material that is capable of gradual flow. The layer above the asthenosphere is the lithosphere the rigid and relatively cool outer layer of the earth, composed of both crust and a portion of the upper mantle.

MudPumper
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Try this link. It explains all about how volcanoes work.
http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/
That's a great site if you want to learn. It's run by Dr. Camp who was an instructor of mine when I went to SDSU. He teaches a great class on natural disasters.

Thunderbutt
10-21-2004, 08:09 PM
It gets it heat from all of my old freinds down there blowing on it, with the man with the horns