PDA

View Full Version : engine builders.

turbo
07-31-2001, 04:44 PM
have any of you guy's heard of grant piston rings.I purchased a stroker kit from a company called speed o motive and they sent me a set of these rings, does this company make performance ring sets. or are these things garbage.me and speed o motive are not comunicating very well . cause they sent me the wrong set. sent 30 over instead of 20 over. I filed 2 of them down before I noticed the mistake. they said it's my fault no exchange or refund. the original set were speed pro economy racing? cast iron rings.

spectras only
07-31-2001, 04:51 PM
wonder if Barry Grant has anything to do with ?

Oldsquirt
07-31-2001, 04:51 PM
Grant's has been in business for many decades. Put a set in an old British sports car in the early seventies. They were the only company that even had a listing.

Racing Ray
07-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Barry is not associated with them. Grant has been around a long time. I would use them.

Heatseeker
08-01-2001, 04:00 AM
I've never heard anything bad about grant rings. I was told that the hot set-up now are 'total seal' rings.
Speed-o-motive caution:
My cousin recently bought a complete engine from speed-o-motive(merlin 540 dartII heads with all the bells and whistles). Every time he runs it, he gets a fair amount of metal in the oil. I later read a post in the blower motor section(see blown 468 rod bearing) by aguy with the same problem. Turns out speed-o-motive has teir cranks and rods forged in china. Beware!!!

jroos
08-01-2001, 02:51 PM
Budget allowing I`d opt for the total seal rings or zero gap. You can find them in Summit. I run them in a 350. And metal made in China, don`t use it. So far that`s the only thing that no one else can do better or cheaper than the USA. We have the best steel in the world.

turbo
08-01-2001, 04:04 PM
Heatseeker tell your friend to check the bottom end on that bb. I ordered a stroker kit my friend ordered a complete short block from them. when I set my crank in the block the #1 main bearing supply hole to the #1 connecting rod is covered up comletely by the bearing, the supply hole has about 2 thousandths exposed. so when his short block arrives we remove #1 on his it's the same screw up like mine so they say they have never had a problem yea right. I figured out the fix thought. a chrysler slant six has the same bearing dimensions 1/2 thousandths bigger and 1/4 inch wider to cover up oil hole. I will gamble with mine, my friend put a stop payment on his. visa is sending out an investigator. he is trying to deal with them they don't want to. sorry for long post.

Heatseeker
08-03-2001, 06:21 AM
Turbo,
Thanks for the info. We are pulling the engine out of the hydro on Monday and can't wait to open it up. You would think when a guy pops $12k for a complete engine, he could depend on the quality of the workmanship!
Speed-o-motive has been in business since '47. You wouldn't think they would last that long making stupid mistakes such as this.
Thanks again,
John