PDA

View Full Version : How about Sonoma High School

spectratoad
10-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Sonoma High Article (http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041017/NEWS/410170337/1033/NEWS01)
Gotta love a school administration that bans the American Flag from senior pictures. It was ok though because they confiscated an empty beer keg too. Idiots.
Seems to me that it is a liberal administration that believes support of America is support of our President. Too bad the Dem's can't be so associated with the Flag and support of America. If that is how it really is I am sure glad that I am on the right side, I AM AN AMERICAN!!!!! :smile: :rollside: :smile:

Cas
10-20-2004, 07:38 AM
what it's saying in the newpaper
By Sarah Berkley Index-Tribune Staff Writer
10.19.04 - A group of roughly 25 defiant Sonoma Valley High School students turned themselves into symbols of patriotism by protesting a school decision to ban all props - including the American flag - during last week's senior panoramic photo.
http://www.sonomanews.com/content/articles/2004/10/19/news/top_stories/news01.jpg
Riding an escalating wave of limelight, radio talk shows and press coverage that even drew the support of conservative politician Newt Gingrich, angry students vehemently spoke out Monday about last week's incident that eventually resulted in the suspension of two seniors.
District staff said the suspensions had nothing to do with the flag or patriotism, but with the individuals' behavior - and that these two students verbally abused and disrespected school staff.
During the week prior to the photo, seniors had been notified in the daily bulletin not to bring any flags or other "props" with them to the shoot.
"No flags will be allowed in the picture," said the announcement. Teachers typically read the bulletin to homeroom classes.
"The administration was totally wrong. ... Last time I checked, the American flag was not a 'prop,'" said suspended senior Ian Stewart.
Wearing a stars-and-stripes headband, he participated in a SVHS student demonstration and walkout Monday morning. A small but ardent group of 25 to 30 boisterous students assembled outside the school to wave flags and patriotic paraphernalia and shout "U.S.A.!" at passing cars.
"We live in America, we should be able to express how we feel about (being American)," said Alexa Karia, who, along with several others, had cut class to participate in the demonstration.
Some students and teachers watched the commotion at a distance, a few shaking their heads as they stood in the shade of campus buildings.
In the last few years, American flags have been visible in the SVHS senior photo. However, there have also been tense conflicts each year over students brandishing different flags, waving banners, toting blow-up dolls or wearing inappropriate clothing with tobacco- or alcohol-related logos. In response, this year the administration put a blanket ban on all props and costumes so there would be no room for argument.
"The staff wanted to have a photograph that focused on the students, not props," said District Superintendent Kim Jamieson. "This issue was not about the American flag or political correctness; it was about decorum and comportment."
When last week's photo shoot did occur, school staff repeatedly scrambled to confiscate props, including an empty beer keg, beer cups, replicas of pot bags and T-shirts with alcohol logos, followed by the appearance of flags. Because of having to get rid of things, make students remove inappropriate clothing and take down the flags, it took 35 minutes to set up the picture. Staff "was just trying to do their jobs," said senior Dustin Pappas.
"It was insanity," said senior Tito Bryson.
He said kids who didn't need to remove clothing were taking off their shirts, others were wrapping themselves in flags and others kept bringing out keg cups.
"I was pretty shocked - it got really ugly," said Vice Principal Kathy Henderson.
She was one of the administrators at the shoot Wednesday; two of the students she was dealing with became increasingly disrespectful. Some witnesses said they heard kids shout obscenities at Henderson.
SVHS Principal Roberto Castro said the teens have "diverted the issue to make it something that it wasn't."
"We are not anti-American in any way shape or form," he said.
He dismissed as groundless students' allegations that staff banned the flags so as not to offend Hispanic students.
Henderson said the teens in question later apologized for their behavior.
"We've been there, we've talked about it, and (that issue) is over," she said.
But when they spoke to press, Henderson said the students misrepresented staff's actions.
"(The ban) has been in the weekly bulletin. I asked them why they didn't bring this up in their economics or civics class or come handle it with us upfront, beforehand," she said.
Meanwhile, press coverage continues to gain momentum. Conservative figure Gingrich, already in Sonoma County for a weekend event, heard about the flag conflict and gathered the rebellious students on Saturday to show his solidarity for their cause.
"It was incomprehensible that students weren't allowed to show the flag (in a photo they pay for)" said Rick Tyler, spokesman for Gingrich.
He confirmed that dozens of talk radio show hosts have responded to his alert and plan to run the story next Monday. Radio stations in Atlanta and Jacksonville, Fla., have already aired the issue.
Tyler said Gingrich did not contact school administrators to get their side of the story, nor was there any need to. He said the students were 100 percent right.
Henderson confirmed that only a handful have actually contacted school officials to ask what happened.
"Very few people out there screaming have actually come in to find out the facts," said Henderson.
At Monday's demonstration, a few patriotic adults - hailing from as far away as Windsor and Sebastopol - joined the students.
"Civil disobedience is sometimes taken as being disrespectful," said Windsor resident Melinda Anderson, wielding a giant flag. She had heard about the issue on a local country radio station.
"I've been called a fascist and a baby-killer for waving the flag. ... There's a difference between patriotism and politics - and I think these kids know the difference."
Senior student leader Jack Curley said he thought it was a communication issue - that the students should have been able to fly the flag but they should have voiced their concerns and worked it out with staff ahead of time.
"Almost every single senior portrait has had an American flag. We pay for these pictures and the flag is a symbol of our nation," said Curley. But "how they reacted was rude and disrespectful. There are other ways to compromise instead of fighting."
Despite rumors that the senior photo would not be for sale, staff said that the photo would be made available to students and that they plan to continue holding senior photos in the future.
For upcoming portraits, "We are certainly open to having a senior photo that displays the American flag and the California state flag in a dignified and respectful manner," said Superintendent Jamieson.

skeepwerkzaz
10-20-2004, 08:01 AM
If you can believe it, Froggy and I graduated from there! The teachers are (were) mostly ex-hippie, San Francisco, summer of love types. Borderline commies, definately Kerry fools. Oh well, yet another reason to not go back for reunions.

Froggystyle
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
If you can believe it, Froggy and I graduated from there! The teachers are (were) mostly ex-hippie, San Francisco, summer of love types. Borderline commies, definately Kerry fools. Oh well, yet another reason to not go back for reunions.
I haven't yet...
I am so proud. Empty kegs and weed bags. :confused: Like that is going to go over...
Sounds to me like the school is a little out of control. Would've taken me about ten seconds to decide "Fine... no picture this year, congratulations."
The teachers there are total hippies, but this sounds like some jackasses who have no idea what is acceptable behavior, and some politicians who are trying to make a big deal about it.

spectratoad
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
The comment about what type of picture the staff wanted. Isn't the picture for the kids???
I can see not having mock bags of pot and beer kegs but I see no porblem with the AMERICAN flag. Yes I bold AMERICAN because that is what country we are in. As long as it is done in taste.
These kids though do seem a little out of control.
Of course one of our high schools here in Reno wouldn't allow the band to play for Bush last week because it would be like showing support for one candidate and not the other. They couldn't seem to remember that Bush is a sitting President and it is showing support for the office not the person. Leave it to the school administrators to F up a students opportunities. :hammerhea

Cas
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
what year did you guys graduate?
btw, the school isn't really out of control, the administraters are getting a bit out of hand the way they are trying to run it. My son is a senior there this year and as far as the kids go, they probably do a lot less than when I was in HS. As you guys know, there's not much to do here in Sonoma.

skeepwerkzaz
10-20-2004, 09:39 PM
froggy- '90
skeep- '92

Cas
10-21-2004, 07:02 AM
froggy- '90
skeep- '92
Geez! nevermind, you guys are just young pups. I was going to ask if you knew a couple of people but they graduated in '81 or so.

eliminatedsprinter
10-21-2004, 09:09 AM
I remember back in the stone age when I was in H.S. We were told no signs or props etc for our senior pic. If we had thought of it, we may well have shown up with flags, just to stick it too them and make them look like dicks. Are you sure there is not a bit of this going on????
Even if it is a kooky left wing school (like Santa Monica H.S. out here is) are you sure this isn't something that couldn't happen anywhere???

Froggystyle
10-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Geez! nevermind, you guys are just young pups. I was going to ask if you knew a couple of people but they graduated in '81 or so.
I had teachers that were in the class of '83... ;)

eliminatedsprinter
10-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I had teachers that were in the class of '83... ;)
I have a corn on my little toe that started in 83..... :wink: