PDA

View Full Version : So Boyd Coddinton's on the front page of the OC Register

superdave013
10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Seems the state of CA has a problem with him registering his (newly built) cars in other states as a vintage one's (for way less money then what they are worth). And the transfering the title to CA. Guess he's not the only one doing it. No supprise there. I wondered what happened to that Cobra shop that was just around the corner from our shop.
Sounds like ol' Boyd is in a bit of trouble.

RUCAV
10-21-2004, 04:39 AM
I heard he did some state prison time. Anyone know more about that?

RiverOtter
10-21-2004, 04:59 AM
After watching his show. If I had the money, I'm not sure I'd buy one of his cars at the price he gets. They brag about everything being done right but looks like alot of half arsed work being done. :confused:

Kindsvater Flat
10-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Screwed (http://streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0410sr_boyds/)

hava life
10-21-2004, 07:07 AM
sounds like Boyd was doing it right, if I read it right. The other out of state companies are in trouble.

Tequila-John
10-21-2004, 07:10 AM
The big thing to notice. No charges have been filed.

superdave013
10-21-2004, 07:11 AM
hava, the OC paper painted a different picture then what Street Rodder does. Sounds like he's gonna be in trouble IF charged and convicted.

boater72
10-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Superdave013
I wondered what happened to that Cobra shop that was just around the corner from our shop.
The register also spoke of the Cobra shop as having some legal problems in the same piece.
Riverotter
After watching his show. If I had the money, I'm not sure I'd buy one of his cars at the price he gets. They brag about everything being done right but looks like alot of half arsed work being done
I don't even know if I would say half asss.

Keithb87
10-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Get your mug on a T.V. Show and someone's gonna check you out.. He does turn out some sick stuff, But A little too $$$$$ for my pocket.

superdave013
10-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Superdave013
I wondered what happened to that Cobra shop that was just around the corner from our shop.
The register also spoke of the Cobra shop as having some legal problems in the same piece.
I know, now I'm not wondering any longer. Kind of a bummer as those guys were always blasting up and down Blue Gum in those suckers. They were pretty bad ass.
I have no love for Boyd myself.

MikeF
10-21-2004, 07:32 AM
After watching his show. If I had the money, I'm not sure I'd buy one of his cars at the price he gets. They brag about everything being done right but looks like alot of half arsed work being done. :confused:
Goes to the saying....Did you want it right, or right now?!
I'm sure there are some pretty talented people working there that do a good job. Sometimes mistakes are made and that's what makes it into the TV show....just like the evening news. It's what most people like to watch, other people f'n up. :umm: All the "drama" between guys on A.Chopper. c'mon.

RiverOtter
10-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Goes to the saying....Did you want it right, or right now?!
I'm sure there are some pretty talented people working there that do a good job. Sometimes mistakes are made and that's what makes it into the TV show....just like the evening news. It's what most people like to watch, other people f'n up. :umm: All the "drama" between guys on A.Chopper. c'mon.
I think most of the Chopper show has become staged. :wink: They're making too much money to be that mad at each other. :D

dossangers
10-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Its all about MONEY!! how many of us put the real cost of what we bought on a bill of sale? The state is just going after high profile people to get the FRONT PAGE !! :squiggle: :squiggle: :squiggle:

superdave013
10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Its all about MONEY!! how many of us put the real cost of what we bought on a bill of sale? The state is just going after high profile people to get the FRONT PAGE !! :squiggle: :squiggle: :squiggle:
yes and no. It's also about saftey standards, emissions and the fact that they are titling a car for a year that it's not. Now think about a guy like Roostwear that has a REAL 1923 vintage car. How would he feel when he's trying to sell it competing with new cars that are being sold as vintage. Or if you buy a car that you THINK is vintage but was built last year.
Now I'm not sayin I blame a guy for trying to lower his registration costs and not having to smog his stuff. This is gonna turn the custom car industry in CA upside down I'm thinkin.

jbtrailerjim
10-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Boyd's probably not doing anything different than a lot of the other builders. I've been around a lot of streetrodders for years and it's unreal some of the crap that goes on that these guy's could get in legal trouble for. I've seen money change hands on the same cars several times without anybody ever changing the name on the title and every seller has turned the car and usually made a nice cash profit on it. Most the fibergalss streetrod kit cars you see are not smog legal and are a titled as a 1930 something vintage car so they are exempt from smog laws. If you have a highly desirable 1930ish car even if it is just a frame with no body and you have a clear title. It's worth $$$$.

Krumbsnatcher
10-21-2004, 08:46 AM
hava, the OC paper painted a different picture then what Street Rodder does. Sounds like he's gonna be in trouble IF charged and convicted.
Charges are only filed after the investigators can show proof to the DA that they can show a connection of a car that was registered out of state and it can be linked back to boyd.
Then the charges will be filed and he will be in the system, then it will be up to lawyers.

rivercrazy
10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Boyd's wheels does have a financially checkered past. And not in a good way :rolleyes:

roostwear
10-21-2004, 10:08 AM
I haven't read the article. but we used to buy titles (not the cars), and since the early models didn't have vin's (hell, some didn't even have serial #'s), use the old title on the new car. Back then, it wasn't done to dodge fees, it was done to increase the value of the car. If you saw a pink with "homebuilt", or specialty, it was the kiss of death.
Not that I ever did that or anything.......