PDA

View Full Version : cam degree sbc

RedRocket
10-21-2004, 11:43 AM
With a 350hp sb running at 5000, can I gain any power retarding the cam timing?

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 11:47 AM
No.

RedRocket
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Ok.

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 01:55 PM
If you want to try anything at all, try advancing the camshaft. But that means you'll have to degree it to see where it really is now before you move it. 4 degrees max.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
10-21-2004, 06:44 PM
First you must degree the camshaft. Mind you if you knew what the cam manufacture recommended it would help. Then advancing it in small amounts generally will help bottom end performance. Retarding it will generally help top end performance. but it's trial and error. Budlight

RedRocket
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Mr. and Mrs.BudLight, that's what I thought, retard cam timing for topend power. Can anyone give a power figure... in a best case scenario? Keep in mind if it is as little as 5 hp it will be worth it in my class.

Bob Hostetter
10-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Advancing and retarding the cam is more of a tuning trick then a major horsepower gain. It will effectively move your power band up or down with resulting small changes in horsepower or torque. How much you will gain (or lose) depends on the total engine setup, what rpm's you are turning and what cam you are running.
If you running to much cam for your setup and the bottom end is to soft you can help that by advancing the cam, and if you are under camed, you can retard it.
It is not possible to give you a simple cut and dried answer. Thats why real good race engine tuners make lots of money..............

WUTWZAT
10-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I was told that if you retard the cam or run to much advance in the timing through the dist. (here is the list of awful things)
1. depneding on the cut of your cam the pressure will allow you to suck water into your motor from your exhaust system.
2. make the motor run way lean and burn up your pistons
3. if you run nitrous or a supercharger, which alone or together are not considered bad, but with a retarded / advanced motor cause destruction even faster.
But this is what I was told, I trust the person who told me this so I just follow their advice, I am going to install a larger fuel system, a bigger carb and nitrous to my small block jet boat. Let ya know how it goes. Why no supercharger or blower? Man those things are bucks..... Unless I have a donation of one, I don't think I'll be running one next season. Oh yeah Santa in case your looking, I have been good. :)
Jason :boxed: