PDA

View Full Version : Fiat or Info............

Blown 472
10-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Since I am going to pull my mule apart and replace the trw's with some lighter pistons I am looking for some info on pistons for one, rings, and cylinder wall finish for a blown gas dealio. Iron headed and about 10 to 12 psi of boost.

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Which "mule" are you talking about?
Too many mules... :D

78Eliminator
10-21-2004, 12:25 PM
This one:
http://www.campushook.com/hookimg/1/1631.jpg

Blown 472
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
My 440 mopar. What I have now is trw's that are down .100 in the hole, a big ol felpro gasket and and open chamber. I want to get a piston that decks with a big dish and an quench area, a thin comtic gasket and going to take a cut on the heads to tighten up the quench as this thing rattles pretty easily.

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't know whay piston you have now to come up with .100 in hole...but anyway SRP seems to be a good and fairly light piston. Priced a little better than JE. Not sure what ypu refer to as "thin" Cometic gasket..but you need .040 thick for enough deck clearance if you are gonna wind up 0 deck and a steel rod.
Rings I like Childs and Albert gapless Molys. I think Info likes the Total seals as I remember. Both good rings. Hone with a 625 stone on a ck10 and finish with 3 to 4 strokes 800 stone reduced speed. Your machine shop should know how to do it.
Watch that compression ratio. Raising the piston to 0 deck and then cutting some off the heads is going to change the compression quite a bit. I'd think you would not want over 9 to 1 and lower would be better for ga ga :yuk: gas. :smile:
You also might consider offset bushing the rods to get 0 deck with the pistons you have if they are good shape.

Blown 472
10-21-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't know whay piston you have now to come up with .100 in hole...but anyway SRP seems to be a good and fairly light piston. Priced a little better than JE. Not sure what ypu refer to as "thin" Cometic gasket..but you need .040 thick for enough deck clearance if you are gonna wind up 0 deck and a steel rod.
Rings I like Childs and Albert gapless Molys. I think Info likes the Total seals as I remember. Both good rings. Hone with a 625 stone on a ck10 and finish with 3 to 4 strokes 800 stone reduced speed. Your machine shop should know how to do it.
Watch that compression ratio. Raising the piston to 0 deck and then cutting some off the heads is going to change the compression quite a bit. I'd think you would not want over 9 to 1 and lower would be better for ga ga :yuk: gas. :smile:
You also might consider offset bushing the rods to get 0 deck with the pistons you have if they are good shape.
These pistons have a lower comp height to get the ratio down, dodge is famous for that.
Offset bushing the rods???????????????????????
The heads I am using have an open chamber and it is about .80 to .90 thou. I think I would be ok with a zero deck and thin gasket with those heads.

Fiat48
10-21-2004, 01:27 PM
The rod small end is bored and a bushing put in. Then the bushing is bored to the new "length". Depends on rod design what you can get away with. Not fmailiar with 440 rod. Hmmm. :idea: Might be possible to offset grind the crank and pick up some stroke and some cubes and get closer to zero deck also.
Is this a "class" thing where you can't run alcohol?

Blown 472
10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
The rod small end is bored and a bushing put in. Then the bushing is bored to the new "length". Depends on rod design what you can get away with. Not fmailiar with 440 rod. Hmmm. :idea: Might be possible to offset grind the crank and pick up some stroke and some cubes and get closer to zero deck also.
Is this a "class" thing where you can't run alcohol?
It is my street strip 61 dodge. :rollside: