PDA

View Full Version : antenna for GPS & XM?

hottrodder
10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I currently have XM radio in the boat and want to put in a GPS speedo to replace the analog this winter. But I really don't want another hockey puck stuck to the glass. Does anyone make a single antenna capable of recieving both GPS and satellite radio?

riverbound
10-22-2004, 05:38 PM
There are no antennas that I know of that are capable of recieveing both GPS and XM, but In all the boats we do we never place the antenna where it is visible. In my boat I have tha XM antenna stuck to the top of the radio under the dash, and it never cuts out unless someone is sitting on the bow directly above the radio. Same thing with the GPs antenna It shouldn't have to be mounted on top of the fiberglass. In my truck the GPS antenna is mounted in between the headliner and the roof and works just fine.

boxscore
10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Ditto what Riverbound says:
My XM antenna is mounted underdash. Out of sight and works fine... only cuts out if someone is standing or sitting right over it.

hottrodder
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. I understand the antenna has to face up. In other words it can't be mounted via 2 sided tape to the underside of the deck, facing down. Correct?
Thx, HRr

riverbound
11-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Most XM antennas are magnet mount. We always stick it to the top of the radio. It does have to be facing up though.