PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Calculating Mph

Mighty Thor
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I need to know if anyone can help me figure out how fast in MPH the impeller is going at say 4000 rpm. I need this because I intend to fix this (see picture) with 200 MPH tape. :idea:

Performance 19
10-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Now that's very funny!! :messedup:

PC Rat
10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Using a 7-1/2in diameter, I have calculated the speed to be 89.21mph - you should be good to go with the tape. Depending on how many layers you use, you can get the wear ring clearance pretty tight, resulting in excellent efficiency. The performance characteristics should be enhanced as well also since it can move more water with the extra holes.
I have a matching one of those if you decide to do one of the dual pump setups.
Brian

Mighty Thor
10-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Did you say Wear Ring or where ring?

CARLSON-JET
10-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I would like to reccomend wrapping the tape so as it does not unravel under hard acceleration...dont go cheap, 3M only .. no bargain hunting here....on another note ,,it looks pretty shouldered .. FYI, I've heard that a shouldered wear ring is the hot ticket..

Mighty Thor
10-21-2004, 07:03 PM
So your saying I don't need to buy a sholdered ring cause I already got one?
COOL. For a while there I was afraid I would have to spend some serious money to fix this. Now a little tape and some JB Weld and I am good to go. I also decided to skip buying a new thrust bearing and just use the handle bar bearings from my old sting-ray bike. There was also pictures of a boat with a t-shirt stuffed in the drain holes on someone's web site (Kim) and I used that same method in lieu of shaft packing. I should have the boat doing 135 on the gps by Saturday afternoon. :rollside:

1HOTGMCJET
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Did you say Wear Ring or where ring?
Looks like "barely there" ring to me.....LOL :wink:

pops1
10-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Looks like "barely there" ring to me.....LOL :wink:I don't see the wear ring- Looked at the photo 2 or 3 times.
Can not help you unless I can see the wear ring. Maybe its hideing in the pump. Have you looked. Could be its hanging around your drive line.

Mighty Thor
10-22-2004, 01:06 PM
um, that gold colored area was the "sholdered" wear ring. For a little while there the clearances were so close that you litterally couldn't get a feeler gauge in between, but eventually the tollerances opened up a little, Just about the time the impeller contacted the handhole cover. :2purples:

FHI-prez
10-22-2004, 02:54 PM
...also, make sure you wrap the tape in a clockwise manner looking at the pump from the back. If you wrap it the wrong way it will just unravel and you'll never get to 135 mph. You'd be lucky to get into the 120's.

WUTWZAT
10-22-2004, 04:23 PM
You should also wrap the tape in the direction of the rotation of the pump to keep any binding from unraveling the tape in the future, this is going to be a long term repair isn't it. Make sure you do it the correct and proper way for a long life and to keep that factory warranty valid.
Jason