PDA

View Full Version : Putting a pet "family member" down

HYSTRUNG
10-21-2004, 06:27 PM
We were at Centennial Animal Hospital in Corona today picking two of our "kids", dogs, when a woman came in the lobby. It was obvious she had been crying. She went back out and brought in the rest of the family. When her (I am assuming) husband came in he had with him an older yellow lab that was obviously dying. Their little girl asked something about the dog and the mom started crying. The guy did a good job of holding it back but man the look on his and her face was pure pain. I looked at my wife who started crying with them.
While none of us spoke to each other we shared their pain and our hearts go out to them. I know it may only be a dog to some but it was obvious it meant a great deal to them. Nothing like losing your best friend.
Just wanted to say we hope that it gets easier for them.
Sorry for the downer post.
peace

Kindsvater Flat
10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
I only had 3 dogs that I really got attached to. One we gave the shot and the other was hit. One is still kicking. Now the others that we have had are no big loss. One was flat out psycho. Used to bite everyone or walk up and piss all over the person.

Second "PLACE"
10-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Wow. I know THAT would be tough. We have had our "family member" for 11 years, and as much as I don't want to think about it, that dreadful day will one day come. My heart goes out to them for sure. :(

Craig
10-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Yeah, we had to do it about 2 years ago to our female Sheltie, PD after 15 years, cancer came back bad :frown: That was a Tuesday night, then on Saturday her son, Spike passed away in the living room, he was 14 and getting bad. Just tough two in 5 days!

Boozer
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
My old man has a little terrier. She'll be 16 years old. She's a family member but we all know her time is coming soon. I don't know how the hell he is going to deal with putting her down.

JetBoatRich
10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
We were at Centennial Animal Hospital in Corona today picking two of our "kids", dogs, when a woman came in the lobby. It was obvious she had been crying. She went back out and brought in the rest of the family. When her (I am assuming) husband came in he had with him an older yellow lab that was obviously dying. Their little girl asked something about the dog and the mom started crying. The guy did a good job of holding it back but man the look on his and her face was pure pain. I looked at my wife who started crying with them.
While none of us spoke to each other we shared their pain and our hearts go out to them. I know it may only be a dog to some but it was obvious it meant a great deal to them. Nothing like losing your best friend.
peace
I bet what you did will sit with them for ever and it helped ease the loss how strangers showed compassion and felt their pain.
Nice going HYSTRUNG

Krazy K
10-21-2004, 08:26 PM
peace
I just recently acknowledged our family dog's passing 10 years ago September. We had her for 12 years and it was real hard for me as we couldn't afford cremation. I still have her collar, though. I've got 2 cats now. The oldest is 10 1/2 and have had him 9 years and the other is 6 1/2 and have had him for about 3 years. When you have had a pet for a really long time, it becomes a part of you.

topless
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Oh man thats hard. I had to do that with my ex-boyfriends dog. My ex wasn't even there because he couldn't handle it. I thought I would be strong and sat with the dog while they put him down. I've done this with one other dog in my life and it is heart wrenching . I feel for them.

Debbolas
10-21-2004, 08:57 PM
This is very sad, my sweetie, Sonny, yellow lab, has a lump on his muzzle, the doc thinks it might be cancer, but we are trying anti-biotics first :frown:
He is my big lap dog, sits on the chair with me while I post away on hot boat.
LOVES the river................
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Sonny.JPG

topless
10-21-2004, 09:03 PM
This is very sad, my sweetie, Sonny, yellow lab, has a lump on his muzzle, the doc thinks it might be cancer, but we are trying anti-biotics first :frown:
He is my big lap dog, sits on the chair with me while I post away on hot boat.
LOVES the river................
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Sonny.JPG
So that explains why your post count is so high...............you only do half of them. :squiggle:

Debbolas
10-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, he is a BIG DOG! ;)
night all!! :sleeping:

little rowe boat
10-21-2004, 10:12 PM
peace
That family was my wife and I a week ago tuesday,we had to say goodbye to our beloved Maxwell,he was with us for almost 14 years. I am getting choked up just typing this. :cry:

Misogynist
10-21-2004, 10:24 PM
That has to be one of the hardest things to do... I had to put down my Great Dane... he was 13 years old... could hardly move anymore...but... it's like playing the cruelest of tricks on your best friend... He's been gone now for 16 years... I never got another dog to replace him... he really was one of a kind... big and gentle..I still have pictures of him and have his collar... but even years later... I'll open a box of things that were packed away when he was alive and I'll find a few of his hairs on things...It always reminds me of having to put him down and how much it hurt..... :cry:

locogringo
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
was she a blond chick who looked to be in her mid to late 20's?
It is sad when an animal needs to be put down. :frown:

HYSTRUNG
10-22-2004, 03:42 AM
No, she had dark hair but I'm not sure of the age.
We were there to pick up our bully after she was spayed and one of our boxers needed a tooth pulled. After reading about Ultra28's bully passing I was, to say the least, nervous. Thank god things went well. She woke us at 12:20 this morning so we gave her some meds put her on our bed. She calmed down and went back to sleep. At least someone got some sleep...

Desert Rat
10-22-2004, 07:44 AM
We lost out Chow "Chewie" that we had for 12 years that we rescued from a major Ahole on Thanksgiving day 3 years ago. The wife still gets misty a least once on Thanksgiving day each year. If anyone in the family sees it it damn near becomes a family cry.... :cry: Damn I miss that dog. :( Pledged I would not get another dog and wife goes out and get our forth son "Java" the chocolate Lab. :) My animals are family members so I know how they feel.

switchin'addiction
10-22-2004, 07:51 AM
peace
Wow, that gave me the chills. Boaters & dog lovers IMHO are some of the best people in the world.
My baby is a 3 yr. old Golden Retriever & I dread the day when I have to do something like that. I hate to even think about it.

RiverDave
10-22-2004, 08:21 AM
I couldn't even imagine... :( I love my dog more then words can describe, and I know at some point the day is coming.. I don't think I'm going to react to it well, to me it's the same as losing my kid or something.
RD

MsDrmr
10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I have been on both sides of this fence.
I have had a dog 7 cat put down...destroyed me.
then worked at an animal hospital and watched others go through it...hated both sides..in this case, the grass is NEVER greenier on the other side