PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Vacation Home?

MagicMtnDan
10-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Vacation leads to home makeover by squatter
Stranger greets Georgia woman returning from trip
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - A woman came home from vacation to find a stranger living there, wearing her clothes, changing utilities into her name and even ripping out carpet and repainting a room she didnÂ’t like, authorities said.
Douglas County authorities say they canÂ’t explain why Beverly Valentine, 54, broke into an empty home and started acting like it was her own.
During the 2½ weeks the owner, Beverly Mitchell, was on vacation in Greece, Valentine allegedly redecorated the ranch home, ripping up carpet and taking down the owner’s pictures and replacing them with her own.
Mitchell was a complete unknown to Valentine, said Chief SheriffÂ’s Deputy Stan Copeland. He said he had no idea how Valentine knew Mitchell was gone.
“In 28 years, I’ve never seen something this strange,” Copeland said.
Valentine was being held in Douglas County Jail on a $25,000 bond, Copeland said. If convicted, she could face one to 20 years in prison. Copeland said Friday that he believed Valentine did not have a lawyer.
The case came to light when Mitchell, who lived alone, returned home Oct. 4 to find the lights on and a strange car parked in the driveway. Mitchell called police, who went in and found Valentine, who at first pretended she was renting the home.
Later, Copeland said, she admitted she broke into the house with a shovel and was squatting there. She was charged with burglary.
Authorities found a gun and $23,000 worth of MitchellÂ’s jewelry in ValentineÂ’s car.
Valentine had the electricity switched over to her name and moved in a washer and dryer and her dog.
Copeland said she was even wearing some of MitchellÂ’s clothes.
“There’s a lot of people saying, ’What?”’ Copeland said.
Valentine was asked what to do with the washer and dryer she moved in, and Valentine said she didnÂ’t care, so police will leave it up to Mitchell what to do with them, Copeland said.

Her454
10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
..........the things that make ya say WTF? :argue: :rolleyes:

plaster dave
10-22-2004, 04:43 PM
doesn't she have neighbors. WTF I would just have to "lmao"

MsDrmr
10-22-2004, 07:01 PM
oh my gosh can you imagin that one. Two weeks was all it took. Well at least she got a free washer and dryer...and nothing was stolen. I guess if anything were to happen to my house while I was gone, that's certainly better than having it thrashed, burned down, ramsacked and so forth..

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 08:43 PM
In Georgia, if she would have made it seven years without the owner complaining she could have made an adverse posession claim on the property and obtained a title interest in the property. Squatting is pretty common in remote areas, if you own land/vacation house you'd best make sure to check it every now and then.

MsDrmr
10-22-2004, 08:47 PM
In Georgia, if she would have made it seven years without the owner complaining she could have made an adverse posession claim on the property and obtained a title interest in the property. Squatting is pretty common in remote areas, if you own land/vacation house you'd best make sure to check it every now and then.
well now, that theres good ta kno :)

switchin'addiction
10-24-2004, 04:39 AM
If that happened to my dickhead neighbor I would be loving the hell out of it.