PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished...1980 Hondo T-deck...nostalgia Bff Style

Dave Sammons
10-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Following are a few shots of an '80 Hondo I finished up today. Boat had been in storage for some time, Not sure of the history, but, it was rigged as a BFF or a BAF. The entire install is classic late 70's, early 80's. Motor, V-drive and Strut are all in the proper location for a big horsepower deal of that time.
There has never been an overide handle installed and the cavitation rod is made of inch and a half chrome-moly. Note the classic in/out box on the flywheel cover. All the anodizing was in great shape except for the plates, which are faded, they'll get redone this winter. The saddle tanks were installed by the previous owner who ran a inj/blown/gas motor. All the color is in the gelcoat, which buffed right up and looks pretty good! We replaced all the snaps for the towcover which will get made this winter as well. The motor is a fairly mild 468 with good parts in it. Topped it off with Predators and a classic scoop(which I think makes the whole deal), Gonna take to Elsinore with a couple other boats in the morning for a few passes and then we'll run it in Bakersfield next month. Can't wait to cruise the River next year!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl7.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl8.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl6.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl2.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl4.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl3.jpg

Dave Sammons
10-23-2004, 04:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517ExtreemlyDangerous-ming.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517CrazyHorse-003.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1517KING-MORGAN-2-med.jpg
IT WOULDN'T BE COMPLETE WITHOUT THE RIGHT ASSOCIATION'S STICKER!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl9.jpg

voodooCanoe
10-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Boat looks great! Congrats. Have fun and be safe!

dmontzsta
10-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Dave I will be at Elsinore tommorrow. Launch at Marina West and cruise around the right side, look for a white flatty. I hope to finally meet you and take a closer look at that boat. :D

Beautiful Noise
10-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Dave,Great looking Boat I cant wait to see you Guys at the Secret spot again next year at the River :wink: Also I heard that Dale Taros is Buying your Dragster :D

DansBlown73Nordic
10-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Looks Great...

Hud
10-24-2004, 04:48 AM
Nice scoop Dave!...C'mon! :cool:

dmontzsta
10-24-2004, 04:50 AM
Nice scoop Dave!...C'mon! :cool:
I agree, I love that scoop. I need to get one when my 429 is done.
:cool:

76biesmeyer
10-24-2004, 05:06 AM
Great looking boat. Looks really clean

Dave Sammons
10-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Dave I will be at Elsinore tommorrow. Launch at Marina West and cruise around the right side, look for a white flatty. I hope to finally meet you and take a closer look at that boat. :D
We'll be at Crane's around 8am. See you there.

superdave013
10-24-2004, 05:34 AM
is that the blower and carbs you ran on the small block?
Bitchen as always!
It would be a bummer to loose the blower belt and have it take out that fuel line. Might want to put some type of gaurd there.

roostwear
10-24-2004, 07:11 AM
This is what I'm looking for as my next toy/project! Maybe not blown, but a "barn fresh" Hondo T deck with original gel. Who has one tucked away that they'd like to see convert a jetter to v-drive?
The perfect boat (IMHO). Very nicely done.

ColeTR1
10-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Dave How did the Boat Run? and Tom's too. It's Look great and I like the old school paint. :D

Dave Sammons
10-24-2004, 01:50 PM
is that the blower and carbs you ran on the small block?
Bitchen as always!
It would be a bummer to loose the blower belt and have it take out that fuel line. Might want to put some type of gaurd there.
Believe it or not it is the same blower! Thought the Magnesium Blower was the right look. Bought the Predators on E-bay, 410.00 for the pair, like new.
Your right on the belt guard. I was planning on running the one off our dragster, they're required in the NHRA. Besides I wouldn't want to mess up those "SWEET" fittings! :D :D :D

Dave Sammons
10-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Dave How did the Boat Run? and Tom's too. It's Look great and I like the old school paint. :D
New boat runs "snappy". Motor real strong, no leaks in boat or motor. Only problem, boat was wanting to dart to the left, almost at any speed. 20 years ago I probably would have tried to "drive" through it, fortunately I guess I'm a little wiser now!! After a little guess work up there, brought it home and pulled the rudder. The thing had about 5/16ths of an inch of bow in it top to bottom, bent right at the shaft. Doesn't sound like much, but, let me tell ya, you could feel it in the wheel, almost like sticky powersteering(note to self and others, even if the rudder looks good pull it out and check it!). Also needed a little more down pedal. All in all, a good first outing.
Tom, on the other hand did not have the best of days. Just after we got off the freeway, on the way there, he lost the rear tandem tire and wheel on the driver's side of the trailer. The thing went about 30 feet in the air and landed in the middle of a field. No one hurt. The lugs backed off and away the thing went! Got it bolted back on and headed to the lake. Messed up the fender pretty good though(note to self and others, CHECK YOUR LUGNUTS!). Then after a few laps with his boat, the oil went milky, end of day. As always Tom took it in stride. He has such a great attitude!
Couple of other Flatty's on the lake, including Dmontzsta. The old Lavey looked great out there! He stopped by with his buddy Doug. Good Guys!

dmontzsta
10-24-2004, 05:39 PM
This is what I'm looking for as my next toy/project! Maybe not blown, but a "barn fresh" Hondo T deck with original gel. Who has one tucked away that they'd like to see convert a jetter to v-drive?
I was talking to a guy that my dad raced today. He had a 1980 Hondo T-Deck Runnerbottom with a 427 Chevy. He said his buddy had one for sale for $6k with motor. The only thing is, I dont know how to get ahold of this guy, he just came over to talk to us after the race. (He couldnt believe what had happened to him :D ) He did say there are lots of them around.
Dave: It was very nice to finally meet you. The boat is awesome and so is your buddies. We stayed until around 3pm, there was less than 10 boats on the water at one time and it stayed glass all day. It was good to put a face with the name, I hope to see you soon out there. Thanks for the comment on the boat, it runs hard for a stock 390. Although, it doesnt come close to some of these boats you put together. :)

waterwitch
10-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Mike...you should step up to a V-drive. Your to nice a
guy to be driven' a jet. :D :devil:

roostwear
10-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Mike...you should step up to a V-drive. Your to nice a
guy to be driven' a jet. :D :devil:
You don't think I'm getting rid of the circus boat do ya? :eek: Each boat will have a purpose. I'll keep looking and posting until the right boat pops up. The Advantage is great for hanging out on the beach with the family (and yes, occaisionally beating a v-drive!), but I want to build (more like restore)something nostalgic I can throw some power at.

Fiat48
10-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Dave, did you check the "we did it for love" site for any old pictures or possible history on the boat? Sure a curiosity.

Dave Sammons
10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Dave, did you check the "we did it for love" site for any old pictures or possible history on the boat? Sure a curiosity.
Yea, I've been all through it. Been a member since the Ewalds started it. I know the last owner was out of Arizona, thinkin maybe the boat was outta there. Somebody's had to have seen this thing somewhere!

Carnivalride
10-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Following are a few shots of an '80 Hondo I finished up today. Boat had been in storage for some time, Not sure of the history, but, it was rigged as a BFF or a BAF. The entire install is classic late 70's, early 80's. Motor, V-drive and Strut are all in the proper location for a big horsepower deal of that time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517htfl7.jpg
Looks good, where do you guys find these deals? Have fun with it and be safe. :cool: :cool: :cool:
PS what's "Motor, V-drive and Strut are all in the proper location for a big horsepower deal of that time." and what was big horsepower for that time?

Fiat48
10-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Yea, I've been all through it. Been a member since the Ewalds started it. I know the last owner was out of Arizona, thinkin maybe the boat was outta there. Somebody's had to have seen this thing somewhere!
I figured you did. I've got some early 80's videos. I'll see if I can spot something.

wsuwrhr
10-24-2004, 07:41 PM
The Advantage is great for hanging out on the beach with the family (and yes, occaisionally beating a v-drive!)
Come on Roost, haha :)
I drove a mild 396 Howard flat that went 75 with two people in it, on GPS.
Brian

haulina29
10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Nice job Dave it looks familiar in your search try NJBA late eighties or so . Did you sell Steckers old car ? I have started on a 68 hydro resto and will post some photos soon .You got anything going to the Grand National this year? Mitch

Ntwotrance
10-24-2004, 08:03 PM
It was great meeting you today Dave. Like I said, we'll definately be looking for you up at Ming on the 7th....Doug.

roostwear
10-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Come on Roost, haha :)
I drove a mild 396 Howard flat that went 75 with two people in it, on GPS.
Brian
It happened at FC2. I wasn't much faster, but still technically faster. I'll take it......
Ya gotta consider I GPSed at 68 on 7 cylinders. Woulda been nce to hit on all 8 to see how much my changes helped.

waterwitch
10-24-2004, 08:19 PM
You don't think I'm getting rid of the circus boat do ya? :eek: Each boat will have a purpose. I'll keep looking and posting until the right boat pops up. The Advantage is great for hanging out on the beach with the family (and yes, occaisionally beating a v-drive!), but I want to build (more like restore)something nostalgic I can throw some power at.
You know I am just kidding! Nothin' but love!
That's the way to do it. Have the family boat, and a
little hot rod. That's what Jeff and I have done. Although
your little jet is pretty quick :boxed:

BILLY.B
10-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Cool looking boat Dave as usual. Now that this ones done hows that Biesemeyer coming????. April will be here before you know it :D

coolchange
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Looks great. Gotta love that ol reach around neutral!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
It happened at FC2. I wasn't much faster, but still technically faster. I'll take it......
Ya gotta consider I GPSed at 68 on 7 cylinders. Woulda been nce to hit on all 8 to see how much my changes helped.
Are you talking about the faded blue flatty that runs like...60? :)
JG :cool:

roostwear
10-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Come on, it's the only v-drive I've beaten! Most of the jets smoke me, too! Now I feel like the hyena preying on the wounded gazelle......

dmontzsta
10-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Come on, it's the only v-drive I've beaten! Most of the jets smoke me, too! Now I feel like the hyena preying on the wounded gazelle......
I sent you a PM with some cool v-drives I found.
There will always be the wounded gazelles out there, it is the duty of a hyena to get them while they can. :D

roostwear
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Geezus, I would think me beating someone would motivate (embarass) them into upping the power or working on their setup.

Dave Sammons
10-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Nice job Dave it looks familiar in your search try NJBA late eighties or so . Did you sell Steckers old car ? I have started on a 68 hydro resto and will post some photos soon .You got anything going to the Grand National this year? Mitch
No luck finding the boat's origin yet.
Haven't sold the 63 Top Fueler, the owner has a couple of interested party's though, we'll see...
As far as the Grand National Roadster Show, I'm too backed up on boat projects to start on any cars at this point. Next year I'm going to spectate.

coolchange
10-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey Dave, did Dar???? fit those seats OK? just doin some follow up.

haulina29
10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Dave you got any 392 stuff for sale block heads cranks etc ? Also looking for a Cragar blower manifold .

Dave Sammons
10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Cool looking boat Dave as usual. Now that this ones done hows that Biesemeyer coming????. April will be here before you know it :D
I gotta get cranking on a couple other customer boats, but, still finding a little time for the B-boat, working on the cav plate hardware now(building a set of pillowblocks similar to yours). At the rate I'm going, she might be showing up in battleship gray! Hope not though. Should have her ready for paint by mid-January.

Kindsvater Flat
10-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Dave you got any 392 stuff for sale block heads cranks etc ? Also looking for a Cragar blower manifold .
Good Vibrations had some crager manifolds for sale in there used parts section.

Dave Sammons
10-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Have access to about 8 different 392's, block, heads, crank and racks. Most of them standard bore. Owner wants 1800.00 to 2000.00 each. Used the Crager on the Cacklefest Car, might have a Weiand with a burst panel.

Dave Sammons
10-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Dave, did Dar???? fit those seats OK? just doin some follow up.
They were perfect. Thanks for the great job.

haulina29
10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Sure would like to get ahold of one of those 92s if possible ?

haulina29
10-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Thank you Kflat !!

Dave Sammons
10-26-2004, 05:53 AM
Sure would like to get ahold of one of those 92s if possible ?
If you're interested, PM me and we'll figure out a way to talk live. He's got marine gear for Hemi's as well.

haulina29
10-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Dave you have a PM and Kflat thanx for the lead I will follow up on that today Mitch

78Eliminator
10-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Dave, you're in Carlsbad, eh? I thought the background in those pictures looked familar....
Nice job. But you better not put it in the salt water. Those pics were just for a nice scenery, right??? :rollside:

Dave Sammons
10-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Dave, you're in Carlsbad, eh? I thought the background in those pictures looked familar....
Nice job. But you better not put it in the salt water. Those pics were just for a nice scenery, right??? :rollside:
Just dropped it in to switch off the work trailer, followed it up with plenty of fresh water!!!!!!!