PDA

View Full Version : Hey you outboard experts....

switchin'addiction
10-24-2004, 05:08 AM
I've got a 1982 Mercury 150 V-6 with tilt/trim & a hydraulic jack plate with probably around 150hrs that I have owned since 1986. It hasn't been started in 3yrs, butthe last season I ran the motor it was in great shape. I had it behind a 17 footer & it was a turnkey, reliable motor that ran pretty damn well. I know it will need a little work after sitting, and with that here is the start to my questions. I've got a couple of old Hydrostream hulls I am looking at for a winter probject & I'm not sure if I should stick with the old 150 I've currently got, or try and sell it & pick up something a little more up to date. I don't want to dump a lot of money into this as it is just going to be another toy (boat #3), but for cost effectiveness what do you guys suggest? If you think sell what I've got, can you give me some estimates on what you think it might be worth. Everything is complete from the controls to the prop. I'm open to suggestions & I would welcome & appreciate any input.

CrazyHippy
10-24-2004, 03:06 PM
You have to look at the boat and what motor it wants. Alot of the hydrostreams want a 15" motors (midsection length) but most bigger outboards are 20 or even 25"
Also will probably want to do a nose cone w/ low water pick up, which need to be factored in.
BJH :devil:

Kim Hanson
10-24-2004, 05:33 PM
I've got a 1982 Mercury 150 V-6 with tilt/trim & a hydraulic jack plate with probably around 150hrs that I have owned since 1986. It hasn't been started in 3yrs, butthe last season I ran the motor it was in great shape. I had it behind a 17 footer & it was a turnkey, reliable motor that ran pretty damn well. I know it will need a little work after sitting, and with that here is the start to my questions. I've got a couple of old Hydrostream hulls I am looking at for a winter probject & I'm not sure if I should stick with the old 150 I've currently got, or try and sell it & pick up something a little more up to date. I don't want to dump a lot of money into this as it is just going to be another toy (boat #3), but for cost effectiveness what do you guys suggest? If you think sell what I've got, can you give me some estimates on what you think it might be worth. Everything is complete from the controls to the prop. I'm open to suggestions & I would welcome & appreciate any input.
First off, which hulls do you have Viking or Vectors? Squirt some oil into each spark-plug hole, change all spark plugs gas and see what it does! I think alot of the old engines run way better than the new ones, more dependable.
My last little Banshee wasn't started in 3 yrs. also and it fired right up and ran great, used it for the last of 1 season and sold it for the same I paid for it, he hasn't touched anything but the trim pump. My little 16' footer with a 115 Chrysler..$ 2500......? I like power to these boats, over sized engine's work for me...If it is worthy of the power put to it, make sure the transom is strong, or just build it up! I would worry about steering cables, you can put more power to it but you have to be able to control her!
I have the tunnel HydroStream, not the " V " bottom ones! Big difference with the handling of the 2.........( . )( . )..........

switchin'addiction
10-24-2004, 07:52 PM
You have to look at the boat and what motor it wants. Alot of the hydrostreams want a 15" motors (midsection length) but most bigger outboards are 20 or even 25"
Also will probably want to do a nose cone w/ low water pick up, which need to be factored in.
BJH :devil:
Thanks for the info Crazy. I hadn't really thought about the midsection yet. Gives me something to think about.

switchin'addiction
10-24-2004, 08:21 PM
First off, which hulls do you have Viking or Vectors? Squirt some oil into each spark-plug hole, change all spark plugs gas and see what it does! I think alot of the old engines run way better than the new ones, more dependable.
My last little Banshee wasn't started in 3 yrs. also and it fired right up and ran great, used it for the last of 1 season and sold it for the same I paid for it, he hasn't touched anything but the trim pump. My little 16' footer with a 115 Chrysler..$ 2500......? I like power to these boats, over sized engine's work for me...If it is worthy of the power put to it, make sure the transom is strong, or just build it up! I would worry about steering cables, you can put more power to it but you have to be able to control her!
I have the tunnel HydroStream, not the " V " bottom ones! Big difference with the handling of the 2.........( . )( . )..........
Kim I think I am leaning towards the Viking, although from what I understand the Vector is a little faster hull. I think the Viking can carry the v-6 weight a little better to help with porpoising. I hope I have the same luck with my 150,that you had with your 115 when I fire it up. Hopefully plugs, lubing the cylinders, and some fresh gas will do the trick. I think I am going to try & fire her up next weekend.
I had kicked around the idea of the tunnel, but there is just something about the retro V bottoms that I like. The wife has okayed this project & I think she like the looks of the Viking so that is probably the direction I will be going.
Trust me the transom & cables are at the top of my list. I had a transom go to hell on me one time, and I don't want that mess ever again. I also like to be well in control running a V-bottom anywhere near and above 70 so the steering will be set up right. I witnessed the steering come apart on a guy running right around 80 in Viper a couple of years ago. I don't ever want to be a part of that. He came out of it alright, but it was ****ing scary.
I appreciate the input Kim.

sorry dog
10-25-2004, 07:17 AM
I think a 20" motor is fine on stream. I would think a 15" will be dunking the bottom pan coming off plane. I ran a 135 V6 on a Vector for a while with a 6" jack plate. It would do 70 but that was without a nose cone so there was probably more left. Porpoising was not a problem if I trimmed in.

Forkin' Crazy
10-25-2004, 07:48 AM
If I am not mistaken, that is a 2 liter motor. When Merc went to rating their OBs at the propshaft, it went from 150hp to 135hp. You can hop them up to get more. They are pretty good motors. If you are going to rig the boat for a Merc, put it on it. You should be able to get more $$$ from a running motor that is on a boat, verses not.

switchin'addiction
10-25-2004, 03:07 PM
If I am not mistaken, that is a 2 liter motor. When Merc went to rating their OBs at the propshaft, it went from 150hp to 135hp. You can hop them up to get more. They are pretty good motors. If you are going to rig the boat for a Merc, put it on it. You should be able to get more $$$ from a running motor that is on a boat, verses not.
The motor originally had some minor mods done & I think it was pushing close to 200hp if I am remembering correctly. It came off of a friends tournament bassboat. He was sponsored for 2yrs, and then the boat went into storage, so the memory of the exact hp has gotten kinda fuzzy.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

switchin'addiction
10-25-2004, 03:08 PM
I think a 20" motor is fine on stream. I would think a 15" will be dunking the bottom pan coming off plane. I ran a 135 V6 on a Vector for a while with a 6" jack plate. It would do 70 but that was without a nose cone so there was probably more left. Porpoising was not a problem if I trimmed in.
Still have the boat? I would love to see some pics if you have any. Thanks for the info.

sorry dog
11-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Don't have that combo anymore. I think there is a pic or two of it on one of the wacka threads on Barney's site.
I have another Vector now and run a big tomato on the back.
BTW - if it's a 2 liter that puts out 200 then that's a pretty well modified motor.