PDA

View Full Version : Help with lights

ao/al2
10-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 03 suburban and my left head light is dimmer than my right. I have tried changing my light bulb but that didnt work. Can anyone help?

Kachina26
10-24-2004, 03:37 PM
got a test lamp? I'm a tech at a GMC dealer, I have diagrams and such available at home. We can check a few things even if you don't have a test lamp. (life would be easier with one).

ao/al2
10-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Are you talking about one of those things that looks like a screwdriver with a sharp point and the other end you ground to the car?

ao/al2
10-24-2004, 06:35 PM
oh by the way if it helps ya any , it doesn't get brighter even when I put my highbeems on. Thanks Kachina.

Tn_River_Ratt
10-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Try checking for a loose ground in the wiring harness. It sounds like a good place to look to me. But dats just my .02 worth.

24sleekenforcer
10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Check the left headlight fuse in the uuderhood fuse box. Box is right next to the battery, on the cover list all the fuses and should be a 15 amp fuse.

Kachina26
10-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Try checking for a loose ground in the wiring harness. It sounds like a good place to look to me. But dats just my .02 worth.
Actually, that's the direction I am heading. If the highbeam is dim also, that would definately be a good indicator of a loose ground. The ground for the left H/L is located on the back of the left cylinder head (nice and easy to get to
:umm: )
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1284ground.gif
You want to check number 5. It is also possible that the wire going to the ground is broken.
So do you have a pointy thing with a wire on the end of it? If you do, unplug the light bulb connector and hook the test light to a good ground (alternator bracket) now turn on the headlights. Gently touch the pointy end of the test light to the side of the connector with the tan/white wire,(DO NOT INSERT IT INTO THE TERMINAL YOU WILL DAMAGE IT) the light should light brightly. Does it? If so then hook the test light wire to the positive side of the battery and touch the pointy end to the side of the connector that has the black wire. Does the light come on? If not you have a bad ground, if so, then we need to talk on the phone or in person. Let me know how it works out.

Kachina26
10-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Check the left headlight fuse in the uuderhood fuse box. Box is right next to the battery, on the cover list all the fuses and should be a 10 amp fuse.
Blown fuse will cause the H/L to not light up at all, and I doubt that both hi and low H/L fuses would blow at the same time.
Maybe a mouse chewed through the ground wire. See alot of that. :2purples:

24sleekenforcer
10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=Kachina26]Blown fuse will cause the H/L to not light up at all, and I doubt that both hi and low H/L fuses would blow at the same time.
K26 , I have seen a blown H/L fuse cause what his complaint is. Just trying give some other help.

Kachina26
10-25-2004, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=Kachina26]Blown fuse will cause the H/L to not light up at all, and I doubt that both hi and low H/L fuses would blow at the same time.
K26 , I have seen a blown H/L fuse cause what his complaint is. Just trying give some other help.
I suppose I've seen stranger things, I wasn't beating up on you. Sorry if I came off that way. :D

shadow
10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
I suppose I've seen stranger things, I wasn't beating up on you. Sorry if I came off that way. :D
Kachina, you are so polite. ;) :D

franky
10-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Kachina26
What a great resource you are...I'll have to remember that.
Now you went and did it!