PDA

View Full Version : water in motor

Brendella
07-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Hey Jet boaters, have a problem I blew some valves had the heads redone. when I reassembled the motor it filled back up with water on my first run out. I notice the bollts on the intake were loose. I torque everything to specs, so I thought. Could someone give me the torque settings on everything from the heads to the intake, and where and which kind of thread sealant/gasket i should use.
My boat is a 77 Brendella jet with a 460 and weaind tunnel ram, running dual 750 hollies.

RiverToysJas
07-18-2001, 12:46 AM
When I rebuilt my 460 and put it back together, I to had water in the oil. I also thought it was the intake manifold. I noticed it wasn't seated well against the heads. I tried really cranking down on it and ended up cracking it. I bought a new (and better) one and was told not to put the end gaskets on. The ones that go across the block, front and back. Just to silicone those gaps. So I did this. Intake fits great now, BUT....Still got water in the oil. I took everything off the front of the motor, back to the timing chain and resealed it. Still had water in the oil. Turned out to be the last thing I checked, I had a leak in my log exhaust and with my large cam, water was being sucked into the motor. I think I spent several hundred dollars on Valvaline Racing Oil. That engine didn't fire last year without 8 fresh quarts of oil!!! Thank God that's all fixed and good luck to you my friend, you may need it!!!

07-18-2001, 08:57 AM
Did the machine shop surface the heads? If they did you may have an alighment problem between the manifold and the heads. If you had trouble getting the manifold bolts started then it could be out of alignment and needs to be cut. Torque the heads to 135-145 lbs in 4 steps and manifold torques to 30-35 lbs in a circular pattern starting from the center bolts. Use ARP thread lube on head bolts, no sealer is needed as 460s have "blind" holes.

Brendella
07-18-2001, 11:10 AM
thanks guys for the input I used the cork crap and later learned not to use them. plus I have an aluminum tunnel ram had no problem putting it on.
I mix the oil so bad that it turned into some white slime, crap the first time was only milky this time is realy thick and slimy. so how can I get this stuff out of the motor because it is falling off the cam ect.
thanks and appreciate the response.

mister460
07-18-2001, 01:19 PM
To get it out just let it sit for a week then drain as much as you can. Fill with fresh oil and run it at operating temp for a while. All the residual water(a very small amount) will evaporate.