PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Thread

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 02:57 PM
There has been a change of course in the HTM threads so to preserve there integrity and let those who wish to express there feelings and thoughts in regards to that misfortunate incident on those threads, I started this one..
So that people can discuss things like the insurance dealio, and speed limits as well as personal freedoms.. etc...
RD

Essex502
01-15-2002, 03:10 PM
Does that mean we should discuss our personal freedoms on this thread or the previous one? I'm so confused....

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 03:14 PM
RD is right. (amazing! HAHA) Anyway, I too do not think that inexperience had anything to do with last weeks events. Which makes it even more so serious. What about the inexperienced guy with a couple of beers in him driving his family and friends around at 100 and loses control or makes a bad decision. Scary! I just think that before the govt regulates us, we (the recreational boaters)ought to do some speed control on our own before more people are injured or killed. We need to establish limitations and assess the situation before we go out. I also agree with RD that this topic is not appropriate on this thread.
I'm out...
Rick
SummerLove, your last post just made me think of an interesting point.. Generally those "risks" don't ever even enter my mind.. If I'm out driving a boat that has some serious speed potential (100+) I never even think about my family etc.. etc.. I usually just asses water conditions and the feel of the boat as it's accelerating.. As soon as things start to get outta whack, I figure out how to get it settled again then I'm right back in the throttle.
RD

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Essex502:
Does that mean we should discuss our personal freedoms on this thread or the previous one? I'm so confused....
I just think it would be more appropriate to leave that thread for the people who wish to express there feelings in regards to the 4 boating brothers we lost, rather then speculate what caused it, or what the outcome of events will leave, or even ways of preventing it..
In other words.. Here. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD

Essex502
01-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Okay RiverDave2. I posted my original reply on the one thread since MrPumpsHTM (peace be unto him) had started the thread on the 150 MPH runs they made last Wednesday and I was trying to make the "responsibility" point. I believe we all have the freedom to choose our pleasures and pursue them the way we want. I too enjoy (contrary to the misunderstanding of my posts) enjoy speed but I do try to consider the risks if I have others with me.

rivercrazy
01-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
I just think it would be more appropriate to leave that thread for the people who wish to express there feelings in regards to the 4 boating brothers we lost, rather then speculate what caused it, or what the outcome of events will leave, or even ways of preventing it..
In other words.. Here. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Agreed. Is there a way HB can move some of those posts to this thread?
RD

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 03:26 PM
I understand how easy it is to be misunderstood on the board.. I read your posts the wrong way myself.. Everybody is a little "riled up" becuase of what happened. I hope you know that I wasn't trying to attack you personally or anything. I do enjoy the exchanging of ideas and philosophies on these message boards particularly when it comes to my favorite subject! Boating!
RD

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 03:28 PM
RiverCrazy, that'd be alot of work for HB, but I think you can copy and paste whatever post your trying to make a reference too.. I.E. SummerLoves post above.
RD

Essex502
01-15-2002, 03:32 PM
No offense taken, RiverDave2...I've been around message boards and the like since the old BBS days prior to the internet. As long as ya'll don't get personal and insult my family, my truck, my dog, my boat, or my wife you can say almost anything!
I do believe a healthy exchange of ideas for us to "self-police" is vastly better than having the government police us.

summerlove
01-15-2002, 03:34 PM
RD:
Thanks for the new thread. You were correct, and I completely agree, the other thread was not the one to be discussing this topic. the other thread was for eulogizing and expressing grief at what occurred last week.
On this matter, I've been going to Havasu since I was 11 (32 years!) Back then, if you hit 60, man you were moving! Today, 60 is the minimum. I do not want to pontificate about what is appropriate, because that is in the decision of those behind the wheel. I've been in one close call at the river. A boat travelling very, very fast was headed in the opposite direction as I. With plenty of distance, I veered slightly to the right, to indicate to the other guy not to make a direction change since I was only cruising and he was hauling ass. He waited a few seconds, and veered left - right into my direction. I had to take evasive action and made an almost 180 turn. We missed by no less than 200 ft,and he flipped me off! I didn't feel immediate danger, but it could have been worse. I just don't want that to happen again.
I'm all for speed, so long as it is demonstrated in a safe and sane environment. I don't want the govt to come in and lace a 35 mph limit on Havasu, but you know, if they feel it is getting out of hand, it will happen.....What I'm saying is we (rec boater) just needs to use common sense when getting out there. Thats all.

Racing Ray
01-15-2002, 03:39 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 04:02 PM
I haven't posted with a smile since that incident Ray, but that was funny.. As far as who stays and goes at the river, I monitor that every summer. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif If anyone gets to outta line I just send em on up to Havasu for the next season.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
I run the forums over on Barneys board and Between the two of us we do decide who stays and goes.. but that's tough becuase just about anything goes over there.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Racing Ray:
I vote since RD owns the river, decides who stays and goes here, whats appropriate and what is not to post, that from here on out these Forums be named "Daves Place".
I expect that Hot Boat will set about making the changes to the current graphics and such ASAP!
BTW I wouldn't have started this thread, except I kept thinking if I were one of the family members reading a thread about my beloved and then it turned into a little argument about what's safe and what's not, and legislation and insurance etc... It would piss me off.
It kinda takes away from the "focal point" of remembering those we lost that's all...
RD

Racing Ray
01-15-2002, 04:47 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

Essex502
01-15-2002, 05:55 PM
I am all for speed, don't get me wrong! What I do believe in is responsible speed. When I had our boat built I had plans of 80 mph but after talking to those who know much more than I do my plans changed. With our boat it is just not safe surpassing 65 - 70 depending on who's you're talking to. So, until I buy the next one I'll happily stay below 70. This is my choice. I could put more horsepower into it but the bottom line is it that any more is probably over the line.
IMHO, you have to view life on the lake somewhat as life anywhere else. Behave responsibly. Go off down the lake away from people for your "speed runs" if you need the rush. Participate in organized races if you are really a speed junkie. I was and did! Use discretion when putting the pedal to the metal and stay away from others - far away. Go with friends in another boat that can lend assistence if something should go wrong 'cause it will sooner or later. Use the very best safety equipment that money can buy. Use your head. Life is dangerous and extreme speed whether on land or water is terrifically dangerous. We all want to see everyone return to the dock or ramp for a nice cold one.
Make sure you report those A-holes that do act agressively and irresponsibly as we need to get them off the water before they hurt other innocents.
TO make one other comment, my original reply to the other thread was in response to MrPumpsHTM's post of the terrific performance of the new boat. I sense it was the same boat that was involved in the crash Friday though no one has yet to confirm this. From the way it was posted it sounded like they were continuing the testing later last week. Sorry for starting this discussion on that thread.

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Essex502, what year and model Essex do you have?
RD

Essex502
01-16-2002, 07:23 AM
RiverDave2: 2000 Sterling

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2002, 10:22 AM
Essex502, I've got a 2000 Sterling as well.
HD

Essex502
01-16-2002, 11:10 AM
What are you running in it?
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin:
Essex502, I've got a 2000 Sterling as well.
HD

RiverDave2
01-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Good lookin boat! How fast is it with a 502?
http://www.essexboats.com/sterling/window/coming3.jpg
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm not the typical speed geek. I've only got a 350 mag and a Bravo III drive.
I do wish it went a little faster, but it's good enough for me and my family.
How do you like yours? We love ours! Could not be happier with it.
HD
What are you running in it?

Essex502
01-16-2002, 01:01 PM
I have had it to 70 on Havasu and Mojave. Early morning, fairly calm, no one around, full tanks and full ice chests. However, after talking more with the folks at Essex and Teague we decide that going any faster without putting hydraulic steering on it wasn't too smart. So...we'll stay at the 65 - 70 range and enjoy it. Actually, we love the boat! Handles very well, very comfortable, very dry except in the worst crap I have seen at Mead. Though if I had it to do over I'd probably opt for a small block. The reason? The 502 just drinks gas.
RiverDave2: Ours is very similar to the photo but we ordered it with the hinged swim step. Colors are Wineberry and Grey. You can just barely see it in the photos Hot Boat took at the Sandbar during the 2000 Regatta. You would have to know what you're looking for though! If you check the Essex Website and look through the Regatta photos (Hot Boat aerials), page 5, 2nd from top on left and right sides. Or: http://www.essexboats.com/events/regatta2000/flying05/

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2002, 01:10 PM
The fastes we've had up to is about 60 on Mohave.
You going to the Regatta this year?
HD
[This message has been edited by Havasu_Dreamin (edited January 16, 2002).]

Essex502
01-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Haven't heard any specifics yet as to when, where, etc....when I hear we'll have to decide.
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin:
The fastes we've had up to is about 60 on Mohave.
You going to the Regatta this year?
HD
[This message has been edited by Havasu_Dreamin (edited January 16, 2002).]

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2002, 02:37 PM
June 21-23. Most likely at the Nautical as I have not heard any different as of yet. Mailing is supposed to be going out this month.
HD
Haven't heard any specifics yet as to when, where, etc....when I hear we'll have to decide.

RiverDave2
01-16-2002, 02:43 PM
I can't say that I've ever been in the 21 Sterling, but a friend of mine has the 22' Essex and it's one of the best 22's I've ever been in.. Very smooth ride.
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Dsve, you know you have a seat in my Sterling up in Havasu.
HD
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
I can't say that I've ever been in the 21 Sterling, but a friend of mine has the 22' Essex and it's one of the best 22's I've ever been in.. Very smooth ride.
RD

RiverDave2
01-16-2002, 02:58 PM
I just might have to take you up on that! You always got a spot in the Nordic down in Parker as well. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
RD