PDA

View Full Version : blower shop intercooler

delirious
10-24-2004, 03:37 PM
has anyone used this intercooler and how to run the water from jet boat

MudPumper
10-24-2004, 04:09 PM
From a Jet, tap off the pump and run through a pressure reducing regulator before the cooler, or if you have a rideplate mount a pickup on the plate and run to the cooler.

revndave
10-24-2004, 06:26 PM
I just bought a new innercooler from board member J540(John).Nice piece,no regulator needed.I run an offshore pick up on my ride plate.When you connect to jet it will get sand in it. :frown:

Blown_Rob
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
just run the jet water and be smarter than the intercooler run an filter inline to keep fine sand out ...and dont run it off your ride plate cause you need to keep it cool for those long idles thru the no wake zones ive been running the cooler for 3 years now also run all the water thru the intercooler first then into your motor it helps bring the engine temp up some .... P.S. i am on my 2nd intercooler from J540 :umm: first one broke around the inlet flooded the motor $700.00 :yuk:

hellman2u
10-26-2004, 11:35 AM
I welded a -12 to my berk JG on the opposite side of the pump from the water outlet for the motor , ran -12 lines in and out with a ball valve to regulate flow before entering the cooler. with it set up off the jet , water is always flowing thru the cooler when I'm on the holding rope. 1977 Eliminator sprint 1071 intercooled tall deck chev .CDBA # 439 Howler

Unchained
10-27-2004, 04:09 AM
. P.S. i am on my 2nd intercooler from J540 :umm: first one broke around the inlet flooded the motor $700.00 :yuk:
Ouch, I was just thinking how nice those units looked and how easy the slide in mounting would be.
It seems like read that those were supposed to be pressure tested to like 200 psi.
I guess I better just stick with my homemade core.
I still have'nt had any problems with it after two seasons.
I bought it for $ 50. it was a bus heater core.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/220DSC01682-med.JPG

kojac
10-27-2004, 04:35 AM
just run the jet water and be smarter than the intercooler run an filter inline to keep fine sand out ...and dont run it off your ride plate cause you need to keep it cool for those long idles thru the no wake zones ive been running the cooler for 3 years now also run all the water thru the intercooler first then into your motor it helps bring the engine temp up some .... P.S. i am on my 2nd intercooler from J540 :umm: first one broke around the inlet flooded the motor $700.00 :yuk:
Does idling for long periods cause puddling of water in the intake when using an intercooler?
How efficient is the intercooler on a jet? Most of the time a jet is cruising at 3000 to 3500 rpm's. We are not at boost for much of the time and My normal blast is not more than a 1/4 mile and am wondering if an intercooler has time to make any difference in efficiency?
I know on the outdrive boats it does but they are under boost a lot more often and for longer runs.
I took my intercooler off due to the wieght and found only 13 more hp on the dyno on regular gas (93octane).
I was concerned about leaks and pressurizing the chiller.
Kojac

revndave
10-27-2004, 04:47 AM
The drag boats don't use an innercooler.Doesn't matter in th 1/4.Puddling can happen at idle.Plus no boost at idle.Offshore pick up is the way to go.

kojac
10-27-2004, 04:52 AM
The drag boats don't use an innercooler.Doesn't matter in th 1/4.Puddling can happen at idle.Plus no boost at idle.Offshore pick up is the way to go.
Thought so.
Thanks,
Kojac

revndave
10-27-2004, 08:22 AM
You're welcome.

superdave013
10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
lots of blown gas drag boats use coolers.
I know for a fact that the air above my intercooler was over 300 degrees in 1/4 mile. And I used a little elect. pump to move water through it at the holding rope when the engine was off. It kept it from soaking heat from the engine and kept the core cool. Boat left harder when I used the pump.
Fuel puddling was never a problem for me but mine did idle pretty high.
Cyclone has his cooler hooked to a tap that they installed in the pump. His seems to idle ok.

revndave
10-27-2004, 09:08 AM
I dont like connecting to jet,it will pick up sand.

Snowboat
10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Blown_Rob. I like your idea of the filter. Could you provide a part number. I run a #12 separate pickup and line. For as much as the intercooler costs, I'd put a bypass regulator. Does anyone really know what the spike is when the boat leaves the water and comes back down? They are rated to 100 PSI, I could see a spike geting that high, with a high speed bounce.

Unchained
10-28-2004, 04:19 AM
I would say that the intercooler would be real desirable in a drag boat application.
In this datalog page on the top line you can see that the temp under the intercooler was at 87 deg / 60 % throttle.
Each line is 1/10 of a second.
It takes several seconds after 100% throttle for the air temp under the intercooler to get up to 148 degrees.
At 20 lbs boost the compressed air temp out of the turbos is hitting the intercooler at around 260 degrees. The air temp coming out of a blower is probably a lot higher.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220DatalogOct03-med.jpg

Unforgiven
10-28-2004, 06:19 AM
Drag Boats do run intercooler...we ran one in Troublemaker with PSI...few BGH ran them also..

kojac
10-29-2004, 06:02 AM
I would say that the intercooler would be real desirable in a drag boat application.
In this datalog page on the top line you can see that the temp under the intercooler was at 87 deg / 60 % throttle.
It takes several seconds after 100% throttle for the air temp under the intercooler to get up to 148 degrees.
At 20 lbs boost the compressed air temp out of the turbos is hitting the intercooler at around 260 degrees. The air temp coming out of a blower is probably a lot higher.
Unchained,
Thanks for clearing that up.
Good information. Now I have to rethink my chiller installation.
Kojac

jamessampica
11-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Unforgiven what brand name innercooler did you run on the PSI?
JIM S
P.S.I'm thinking about doing the innercooler thing.PSI's great more heat so aluim. tubed innercooler's don't last and won't hold up.I't been proven the hard way by my friend's that tried.LATER!!!

hulshot
11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
do any of you have a used one to fit a 14.71 for sale, or know of one for sale????

oknozelman
11-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Delirious, I have a supper chiller that will fit a 14-71 that is like new for $1200.00
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3552cooler2.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3552cooler1.JPG

obnoxious001
11-12-2004, 12:01 AM
I still have a couple of the Richard Lee blower intakes with the cooler built in, for tall deck Chevy. Saves about 3" if you are trying to keep engines under the hatch.

green with envy
11-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Hey unchained is the new haltec stuff sequential and is it (camshaft sequential). Have not used that in damn near ten years. I had one on a buggie set up. For me it just was not up to speed at the time.

Unchained
11-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Green,
I have the E6K model of ECU and In the book they show how it can be set up for sequential although I've only run it as a batch fire injection.
They have now superceded the E6K with the E6X model which has more features yet.
The Haltech is a lot lower price ECU than a Motec or a F.A.S.T. system.
I believe they have gotten a lot better in the last three years then the previous older models were.
I don't know if the sequential setup would be any advantage for me.
I believe they say that the sequential injection would give an engine the best possible low end torque. With a jet that doesn't apply. With an outdrive it may be an advantage.
Maybe Wally the "Heavy Hitter" has some input on sequential vs batch fire injection...............

superdave013
11-12-2004, 06:02 AM
Delirious, I have a supper chiller that will fit a 14-71 that is like new for $1200.00
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3552cooler2.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3552cooler1.JPG
Hey, I have a drafting table just like that!

oknozelman
11-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey Dave I am going w/ twin turbos so its for sale agin :D What I need now is a B&M type chillere & intake so I can use port nozzels

hulshot
11-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Check your PM's for the coolers and intakes.

hulshot
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
oknozleman where you at. I need some info on the cooler Thanks.

oknozelman
11-14-2004, 03:23 PM
oknozleman where you at. I need some info on the cooler Thanks.
I'm in okc. I'll send the pics and info to you when I get home.

J540
11-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Hay :hammerhea where is the old one at, like i said before get it back to me or drop it off at daves so i can look at it and get you some $$$ back. and its been how long now.+ you only had mine on for 1yr going on your 2nd. :confused:. Yours is the only one thats dunn that, kinda funny, and you dont even go out neerly as much as my self your some others do that have my cooler on, this year i have over 1000 gal, of fuel thru my boat, most with 18lb of boost, and thats not even counting last year, and had know prob's. OOPS one lifter went away, fix it in a week and was back at it. ANY way thats why all my new end caps are billet (the nipple and cap are one pice) not billet cap and a weld on nipple. I have seen some LEE's have the same problem. after yours did that I change to the new style. Always looking to improve. and always looking for in put to make it better. :smile:

Unforgiven
11-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Unforgiven what brand name innercooler did you run on the PSI?
JIM S
P.S.I'm thinking about doing the innercooler thing.PSI's great more heat so aluim. tubed innercooler's don't last and won't hold up.I't been proven the hard way by my friend's that tried.LATER!!!
PSI more heat?????? when we started running screw blowers the boost pressure temps went down...the roots blower generated more heat..as for the brand...couldn't tell you...this was one that REX CHILDERS use to run....+

jamessampica
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Ok unforgiven how much overdrive are you pushing the screw blower?We overdrived it 125% when we were racing.Now i backed it off for the lake to 76% so that will greatly create alot of heat in the intake.{Packing in the charge}I can't compare it to a root's blower because i've only used screw blower's{PSI}.The only reason why we stopped at 125% was the IHBA rule book on BGJ plus we ran it on C16 race gas not alky.The number's on our racepak computer was telling us we were pushing our luck on gas but never hurt anything.LATER!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
JIM S :rolleyes:

ratman
11-21-2004, 07:48 AM
tbs-the blower shop intercoolers are probably the most efficient on the market. i was just over @ cobra power in miami and randy the owner has run every intercooler out there and dyno'ed the engines. so he gets to see exactly how well the intercoolers perform. tbs coolers remove more heat than others on the market and hold up as well as any in the salt water. the offshore guys are running a small strainer (small stainless screen) to prevent intercooler clogging up and then losing an eng as a result. they run a blow off valve to handle spikes in water pressure from flying the boat. on a jet i would plumb a scond line off the pump out to intercooler strainer then intercooler then out, just run a presure regulater or blow off valve after the strainer but before cooler. tbs intercoolers have 13 air passages in the core but only 11 are exposed, but if you enlage he opening and machine for an oring you can expose the last 2 rows of pasages for appx 10 % more cooling. if used in salt use salt away when flushing at the end of the day to clean the cooler well for a long life. intercoolers let you run more boost and make the fuel/air charge denser which will also make more power. air to water intercoolers are much more efficient than air to air so your missing the boat if your not running one. ratman

Snowboat
11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Blown_Rob. I like your idea of the filter. Could you provide a part number. I run a #12 separate pickup and line. For as much as the intercooler costs, I'd put a bypass regulator. Does anyone really know what the spike is when the boat leaves the water and comes back down? They are rated to 100 PSI, I could see a spike geting that high, with a high speed bounce.
Still looking for some ideas on a filter, or maybe a smallish strainer. Any help?

superdave013
11-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Rat, Are those TBS coolers useing cuppernickle or alum cores?

KNOT-RIGHT
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
These are Lees with Cupra cores from whipple. I got these from Randy Garcia.
Hey Superdave can you post a picture looking straight down Im trying to compare the fin per inch to the superchillers. I have to run my 10-71
to 15.6 over to achieve 9 lbs of boost. I beleave the cupra cores are 24fin
per inch.
Thanks Gerry

jamessampica
11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Do you want to sell one?
JIM S