PDA

View Full Version : pump modifications, shoes, loaders etc.

scott williams
10-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Having made the move to jets from V-drives, does anybody have any opinions about race shafts, loaders, shoes and ride plates.
My engine is a 30 over chevy 427 with world products rectangle heads, full hydraulic roller with 671 at 7-9 lbs boost dual 750's (holley vac secondary). My friends at Boyds Auto Machine held my hand during engine build (they are engine builders for Big Thunder Marine) and I have about 650-700 hp at 6200.
This engine is in a 1978 southwind (Gem craft) 18 footer.
Presently I have a berklely JG with a stock shaft and aluminum A impeller, Berklely droop and Place diverter. Looking at a race shaft, stainless impeller and a loader with ride plate maybe.
My biggest question is, at what speed/rpm will this type of boat remain manageable in the event of a power failure ( or when do I need a ratchet or Relief valve?) This is my beer drinking boat, and I want to avoid serious problems. I plan to use a rev limiter to stay below the "exciting" zone.
Any thoughts?
Scott W.

MudPumper
10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
From what I have been told, the hull is only stable up to about the 85 to 90 range and it chine walks. But every boat is different so there is only one way to find out. Where are you located???? Contact Jack at MPD for the pump work. He knows and can do anything you need.

Squirtcha?
10-24-2004, 07:38 PM
I have a Kachina 18 which is a splash of the Southwind 18. Setback pump, shoe rideplate, loader, snoot and mucho setup work resulted in about 9 mph gains. I'd highly recommend all that stuff.
Rumor has it that our hulls are good to about 85 mph, but can get squirrelly after that. I've had mine up to 90 and it seemed fine, but typically I run mid 80's. Hopefully after this winter's session of bottom work, I'll be running a consistent 90 (or at least very near that).................fingers are crossed.
Quite a few good sources of information on the Southwind 18's here on the board.

revndave
10-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Call Tom Papp Racing.951-734-4606

Cs19
10-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Presently I have a berklely JG with a stock shaft and aluminum A impeller, Berklely droop and Place diverter. Looking at a race shaft, stainless impeller and a loader with ride plate maybe.
Scott W.Ive only ridden in those boats, never owned one, but from what I hear and read all the time is, you can get em into the low 90s failrly safely.I also hear of high speed porposing quite a bit in those hulls, there are solutions for that.
Theres a guy on the board here that has a hard running southwind v-bottom, goes by the name of *BN*, hes running very well with not all that much HP.Id get in touch with him for sure, or maybe he will pop up and give you some info.
I also think a shoe and rideplate are mandatory if you want to run good. This requires removing the intake adapter.Need a nice loader too.
For the pump, well your right on the limit as to what that shaft and impeller can handle, I would upgrade to a mag bronze impeller and Aq shaft, maybe some bowl work too, might as well have the pump gone through (check clearances,bearing,bushings,seals,etc.) since its already apart .
You dont want to find out the hard way that the impeller and or shaft didnt hold up due to the new HP increase... $$$$
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out..Cs19

Nucking futs
10-24-2004, 08:39 PM
That hull is safe to 85-95 but at those speeds any power loss could get scary in any boat when it sets down and might catch a chine and make a wild turn on you.I have freinds that have a 18 and they have 850H.P. with all the pump work done and that boat runs 97mph all day long.Bottom has been done and it took a few times to get it right.Its not a full stringer boat so keep an eye out for sress cracks and such.I have driven and been in many mild to wild 18 sw and they are a good allaround boat.I have only seen the porpose problems with bottom work and that can be fixed with a little knowlage.Get the pump done and you will have a fun ride.
Tim

pops1
10-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Having made the move to jets from V-drives, does
Any thoughts?
Scott W.
Scott-any Hull can be corrected as a rule. Most problems come from the mold or over aggressive thought put in the plug. I don't think yours is in that cat.
Aqua Met- Buys you nothing- that defines the tolerance of the stock to out of round per x number of feet - Today the shaft is turned 100% so the true #
goe's out the window due to the complete re-machine of the stock.
You want a 17-4 stock with a mild heat treat. That will cover you for a long time. As for your bottom there are a number of people that can look at it and tell you what's right. Watch what you are getting and what you pay! I have seen a lot of guys get ripped lately for the so called work being done.
I looked for where you live and did not see so I cannot recommend some one close to you. With a 90MPH Boat, Safety Features are a smart move,Yet your load and pressures are as important to this also.
As to Impellers- a true Mag. Alloy or Stainless will work for you way beyound where you are going in horsepower. Don't jump, ask and find out who is doing what and with what and at what price. We are seeing a new generation comming into Jets and money seems to not be the problem. The price paid for safe workmanship by some is more than fair yet some are charging a price there record will not support. Be cool and take your time picking, but then stop and don't listen to double talk from others after you choose. Its this point where the program falls on its rear end. Good Wishes to ya.

littlewood
10-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Once again POPS doesn't know what the H_LL he is talking about. The lowest grade of Aquamet is about twice as strong as a 316 Stainless shaft (Berkeley).http://www.aquamet.com/index/grade.cfm
You would think pops would do a simple Google search before talking on something he doesn't know about, but he does this quiet often. Remember the “JET PULLS ITS SELF THROUGH THE WATER"
Just because someone uses some semi-technical words out of context doesn't indicate he knows JACK-SH_T.
Pops I can't go on letting people (especially the new jet guys) think you really know what you’re talking about. Please new people do a little research and don't take the opinion of one person.
Littlewood

scott williams
10-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input!!
The hull I'm running started out as a "short" stringer boat, however I replaced them with stringers i laminated together out of 7ply "baltic" birch, making a 21 ply 1 1/2 inch thick stringer which runs from transom to bulkhead under the deck which is about 12 feet. Also, the top of the stringers taper down from 6 inches aft to 2 inches at the end towards the bow tying into the bulkhead and floor. this mod allowed me to eliminate a slight "hook". I also added some thickness to the hull bottom with glass cloth and mat. I'm not too concerned with weight, but very interested in strength.
I'm located in Norman Oklahoma and frequent our local Lake, Thunderbird.
So far, the boat runs up to 4700 rpm quick and clean (rev limit chip 4700) As I understand that is about the upper limit for an aluminum impeller, and it is a lot cheaper to change an UNEXPLODED part.
Thanks Again, Scott W.

Nucking futs
10-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Very clean boat.

Jet Hydro
10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Being your from the OK City area I`d call Duane at Hi-Tech for what you need. He`s only a 2 hour drive away.
I`ll be seeing ya next summer at Lake Dirty Bird, I`v got a friend in Norman that tried to get me to come down last weekend.

ChetCapoli
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
So far, the boat runs up to 4700 rpm quick and clean (rev limit chip 4700) As I understand that is about the upper limit for an aluminum impeller, and it is a lot cheaper to change an UNEXPLODED part.
Thanks Again, Scott W.
Slowy i thought you'd be a little more informative since he is somwhat close to you. :D I dont know who told you 4700 was the upper limit for aluminum scott but i used to run one 5800 with 700HP and no problems. I would save your money and put it towards other things to make that boat go. The only reason you would "explode" it is if you became airborn and overrevved and gave the impeller a good shock one too many times.
CHET

jweeks123
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
I have seen a lot of guys get ripped lately for the so called work being done.
The price paid for safe workmanship by some is more than fair yet some are charging a price there record will not support.
Be cool and take your time picking, but then stop and don't listen to double talk from others after you choose.
Its this point where the program falls on its rear end.
so who are all these people? is the industry full of flakes? when you don't mention names you indict the whole industry
jw

Jake W2
10-25-2004, 06:51 PM
IMO POPs post are foggy at best.
Jake

bp
10-25-2004, 06:55 PM
so who are all these people?
obviously not aggressor dealers
when you don't mention names you indict the whole industry
jw
best not to throw rocks in the wrong direction or else glass starts breakin'.

scott williams
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey, read Greg Shumacher "500 hp" as upper limit, then in another article "5500 rpm" , went with Berkely's own chart. Just heging my bet on the r's. Using rpm's is the only practical method as I can stick a chip in my 6al box and watch the tach. A stainless impeller would be my first choice, anybody got a comment on a double A, AAA,? my 427 is "technically" supposed to be short on the torque side.
Thanks Scott W.

djdtpr
10-25-2004, 07:25 PM
I recently this last year had all of what you are asking about done set the pump back,shoe,ride plate,ss impeler massaged by jack at mpd and the bowl worked also and they also replaced the shaft and the performance gain was amazing it speaks for itself every time i go and get my time slip.I once heard that good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good,use your own good judgement and talk to as many people that you can.Good luck.

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Slowy i thought you'd be a little more informative since he is somwhat close to you. :D I dont know who told you 4700 was the upper limit for aluminum scott but i used to run one 5800 with 700HP and no problems. I would save your money and put it towards other things to make that boat go. The only reason you would "explode" it is if you became airborn and overrevved and gave the impeller a good shock one too many times.
CHET
That's poor advise, if you're trying to eliminate "worries". I have an MPD worked aluminum B in my boat and I've turned it 6200 before working it. About 650+hp. You don't have to get airborne to unhook your pump. Lake conditions, loose set up, etc. can cause you to unhook, and all it takes is one good stick, and your pump has the potential of a grenade. I wish I'd spent the $ on a good impeller in the beginning. It's a buy once, cry once thing. That's no place to skimp. I worry every time I've got my foot in it. It's one thing at a race track where the conditions are predictable, but all together another at the lake or river. The AQ shaft is another story. The stainless shafts are pretty damn strong, but if you have the $, it can't hurt.
Spend the money on a good alloy impeller, and never worry about it again.
Just my .02
steel

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 07:47 PM
obviously not aggressor dealers
best not to throw rocks in the wrong direction or else glass starts breakin'.
Aint that the truth!! :hammerhea

scott williams
10-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah, my attitude is, The engine and the lake are fighting it out thru the impeller, I want a very high level of strength in the drive. As i might occasionally drink a beer or two in it!
Thanks Scott W.

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey, read Greg Shumacher "500 hp" as upper limit, then in another article "5500 rpm" , went with Berkely's own chart. Just heging my bet on the r's. Using rpm's is the only practical method as I can stick a chip in my 6al box and watch the tach. A stainless impeller would be my first choice, anybody got a comment on a double A, AAA,? my 427 is "technically" supposed to be short on the torque side.
Thanks Scott W.
Scott...if you start with an A, you can always go smaller from there. It really depends on the rpm you're comfortable running, and the speed you want. It looks like you're underdriven by the size of the pulley on your blower. You have the option of playing with boost, and making up for some of that lost torque from your '27. If you want to stay in the lower rpm range, the A will work great. If you find you want to turn your motor higher rpm than the A will let you, you can make it an AB or a B. It's sort of like going from 24's to 18's. in your v-drive, or from a 12-16 prop to an 11-15. (maybe not as drastic, but you get the idea) This is done by reducing the diameter of the impeller, putting a little less load on the motor. More RPM, more HP, more speed. (Theoretically)

steelcomp
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Yeah, my attitude is, The engine and the lake are fighting it out thru the impeller, I want a very high level of strength in the drive. As i might occasionally drink a beer or two in it!
Thanks Scott W.
Yeah, and given enough time, the lake will win. :squiggle:

scott williams
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Very perceptive!
Yeah I'm underdriving about 20% for the initial break in and sorting out the boat. Still get 5-7 lbs of boost when I stick it, of course cruise is barely obove 0 on the gauge. last trip to the lake myself and three buddies piled into it and the boats performance seems effortless, the joys of supercharging! Exhaust gas temp runs right at 1100 from up on plane to 4700 rpms. but that has to do more with carburation than anything.
Quite a few posts seemed to be recomending bottom work, This particular boats bottom is almost without flaw, wasn't that way before replacing stringers, and since I have no desire to try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear, My feelings are, it is probably fine for a non competition lake cruiser.
Thanks Scott.

Cs19
10-25-2004, 09:04 PM
The AQ shaft is another story. The stainless shafts are pretty damn strong, but if you have the $, it can't hurt.
Spend the money on a good alloy impeller, and never worry about it again.
Just my .02
steel
They are strong, but you may be surpised to see how many guys "twist" those stock shafts. The splined area is what twists, and if you dont catch it right away, bye bye engine.
For example our southwind tunnel boat had a 12:1 468 that was actually fairly mild, (650-700 horsepwr) but it ran in the mid to high 90s when it was fresh, and it twisted a g shaft with no problem at all.
I personally think Legend has a nice race shaft,thats what I would buy.

Jet Hydro
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I could post a bunch of stuff but I`ll just Say:
I`d still Call Duane at HI-TechPerformance, He builds a lot of boat`s and pumps with blower motors. The man know`s his Chit! ;) (316) 794-8616

kojac
10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
They are strong, but you may be surpised to see how many guys "twist" those stock shafts. The splined area is what twists, and if you dont catch it right away, bye bye engine.
For example our southwind tunnel boat had a 12:1 468 that was actually fairly mild, (650-700 horsepwr) but it ran in the mid to high 90s when it was fresh, and it twisted a g shaft with no problem at all.
I personally think Legend has a nice race shaft,thats what I would buy.
I once twisted the pump shaft so the splines looked like a twisted wet towel.
This was on a 12.1 468 also.
kojac.

ChetCapoli
10-26-2004, 09:31 AM
That's poor advise, if you're trying to eliminate "worries". I have an MPD worked aluminum B in my boat and I've turned it 6200 before working it. About 650+hp. You don't have to get airborne to unhook your pump. Lake conditions, loose set up, etc. can cause you to unhook, and all it takes is one good stick, and your pump has the potential of a grenade.
Just my .02
steel
Hey steel....what did you say here that i didnt say in other words except...."poor advice". This is coming from a guy(you) who runs an aluminum B(oops..."mpd aluminum B" gotta get that in :confused:) 6200???? I know it's hard to explain on here but you said the same thing i did. You can't ride an aluminum impeller in a boat like a rookie jetski rider rides.(on the stick no matter what) If your careful it will last a long time...in my case 3 years. Besides, for the money, tune your boat with an aluminum then upgrade later. Why buy a stainless until you find the sweet spot?? Then again, with mag bronze out there,why buy stainless at all...unless your running big power that is.
Can anybody else here besides someone from the clan or close to it add to this discussion?? Too much mpd and legend here for an all around fair conclusion...kinda like pops...foggy at best. We just need to get ol HB here and it'll be like ol times.....:D
CHET

Jet Hydro
10-26-2004, 10:52 AM
I run an Aggressor Mag Bronze (A) with my Blower Motor :argue: on a Stock stainless shaft.

Jake W2
10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Dam Chet I didnt get any qoute marks I think I'm gona cry. :cry:
We need a random pump builder that no one has heard of (for Chets sake)to tell us how to do things rite because that would be someone to trust :hammer2:
Jake

canuck1
10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
. You can't ride an aluminum impeller in a boat like a rookie jetski rider rides.(on the stick no matter what) If your careful it will last a long time...in my case 3 years. Besides, for the money, tune your boat with an aluminum then upgrade later. Why buy a stainless until you find the sweet spot?? Then again, with mag bronze out there,why buy stainless at all...unless your running big power that is.
I'm shocked
Chet actually gave out some good info for once instead of the usual I can buy it cheaper BS

Jake W2
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM
To add to my post above
This pump builder can not race or have anything to do with a race boat we have heard of.
They can not know or have done work for any one on this board.
They can not modify any of the products they sell ,it has to be factory.
They have to sale every product on sale.
They can not use any thing but Aggressor.
Jake

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 05:23 PM
To add to my post above
This pump builder can not race or have anything to do with a race boat we have heard of.
Jake
In that case, I'm switching to a V drive. :yuk:

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey steel....what did you say here that i didnt say in other words except...."poor advice". This is coming from a guy(you) who runs an aluminum B(oops..."mpd aluminum B" gotta get that in :confused:) 6200???? I know it's hard to explain on here but you said the same thing i did. You can't ride an aluminum impeller in a boat like a rookie jetski rider rides.(on the stick no matter what) If your careful it will last a long time...in my case 3 years. Besides, for the money, tune your boat with an aluminum then upgrade later. Why buy a stainless until you find the sweet spot?? Then again, with mag bronze out there,why buy stainless at all...unless your running big power that is.
Can anybody else here besides someone from the clan or close to it add to this discussion?? Too much mpd and legend here for an all around fair conclusion...kinda like pops...foggy at best. We just need to get ol HB here and it'll be like ol times.....:D
CHET
Chet...you need to read your first post, then mine again. This guy's question is what to do to upgrade his set up. You said just go with the aluminum impeller...spend the money elsewhere. It'll only break IF. Point is, it'll break. If this, if that, but why take the chance? It's like building a hot rod engine and saying you can buy forged pistons later...these will "probably" work, as long as...
Why should this guy buy two impellers? (Or a new pump when the aluminum one frags.)
BTW...I'm not pushing MPD, and trust me, I'm nobody's "groupie". I was pushing the point that my impeller is modified, and even thinner and weaker now, and I CRINGE when I stand on it, hoping it stays together untill I can get the one I SHOULD have bought in the first place, but I GOT BAD ADVICE, by someone who said, "Ahh, you can change it later"! I would NEVER say that to anyone else. That's bad advice. My advice stands...buy an alloy one now, and be done with it. You can modify an alloy one just the same as an aluminum one, so instead of doing it twice, you do it once, and don't end up taking the risk of owing your vacation budget to the guy running the barge with the boom on it...or worse. Get my point?
BTW...if you're going to quote me, why don't you quote all of what I said, so I don't have to repeat myself. You must be a student of the John Kerry instritute of journalism.

CARLSON-JET
10-26-2004, 07:15 PM
"This is my beer drinking boat, and I want to avoid serious problems.(??) I plan to use a rev limiter to stay below the "exciting" zone". I added the end quote and parentheses myself. #1 boats, Hi speed and alcohol are bad news. #2 "Maybe 700H.P."? in the real world your gonna be lucky to see 600 at the impellor #3. ask The guy whom you are going to purchase from what the deal is, in other words make a few phone calls. he will be the one to take the hit on his good/bad advice. You are very close to one of the best jet guys in the country .. just a rocks throw away .. ask him ...I'm sure he stands behind his work .. good luck. R.B.

scott williams
10-26-2004, 07:32 PM
You ar absolutly right about alcohol and safety, I was simply trying to elaborate my desire for a rugged setup, I would rather giggle than gringe when I put my foot in it.
And to everybody, This disscussion is extremely interesting and helpful. Wish I had this kind of resources when I screwed together my first blown engine back in the eighties!
Thanks Scott

Cs19
10-26-2004, 07:34 PM
To add to my post above
Jake
:D

Cs19
10-26-2004, 07:46 PM
why buy stainless at all...unless your running big power that is.
Because the mag bronze are very hard to repair (weld), and they are very heavy. The berk stainless Im running has been around longer than I have probably, and it works great. If it were a mag it would have been in the scrap pile a long time ago.

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Dam Chet I didnt get any qoute marks I think I'm gona cry. :cry:
We need a random pump builder that no one has heard of (for Chets sake)to tell us how to do things rite because that would be someone to trust :hammer2:
Jake
Hey...there's this guy that I heard of, Bobby Joe Bilgenhammer, down southern Jackson way. Makes his own impellers outa melted down beer cans. (Hey, they're aluminum...they won't break unless you use 'em!) Has a 19'-9 3/4" Eliminator flat bottom jet hydro pickle fork that goes 155, runs 6.0's! Builds his own everthang! Maybe Chet will listen to him. I mean her. Yeah, it's a her. Almost forgot. (Can't really tell since she lost her tooth)
I thwear iths the truth! :rolleyes: :220v:

Cs19
10-26-2004, 08:03 PM
If your careful it will last a long time...in my case 3 years.CHET
Wow you really got your moneys worth on that one, you must be proud of yourself.
That must be real fun having to pussy foot around in your hotrod jetboat cause your too cheap to spend the money for a nice impeller.
Personally, I couldnt deal with that, I like having parts in there that WILL not come apart when I mash it, and I would hate to have to lift everytime I saw a roller, especially in a river race.
Get a nice shaft and impeller and be done with it, you will be much happier in the long run.

bmadison31
10-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Scott I'm going through the same thing as you. I run on Thunderbird and 90% of the time its rough. I'm moving to MagBronze or Stainless this winter and planning on having the shoe rideplate and jet blueprinted. GS Marine recommended MagBronze and HTP recommended Stainless. The pumpwork will be done by HTP but I still haven't decided which way to go on the impeller.

MudPumper
10-26-2004, 09:21 PM
" #2 "Maybe 700H.P."? in the real world your gonna be lucky to see 600 at the impellor .
I'm just curious as to why you made this statement????? Are you saying that in the real world not many people are running 700HP??? Or are you saying that a 700hp motor at the flywheel will lose 100hp between the flywheel and the impeller???? In both cases I wouldn't agree. JMO.

steelcomp
10-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm just curious as to why you made this statement????? Are you saying that in the real world not many people are running 700HP??? Or are you saying that a 700hp motor at the flywheel will lose 100hp between the flywheel and the impeller???? In both cases I wouldn't agree. JMO.
You know, I was wondering the exact same thing. :confused:

CARLSON-JET
10-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm saying it's been shown over and over that 700 dyno H.P. will not equate to 700 H.P. to the shaft on a lake at normal operating conditions.. do people have 700 H.P.? Of course. It isn't a matter of losing the power.. it's a matter of it never being there to begin with .. Inflated H.P. ratings are or have been the norm for years .. why bank on a setup based on inflated numbers. Honestly I don't care if a guy has 2 million H.P. I don't want ANYBODY drinking alchohol and jumping into their boat to make a speed run anywhere near me or anybody else I care about. If it's OK with you, He could make a run near you or your family muddpumper, with his 700 to the imp. H.P. .. and I could care less.. but, that's JMO.. R.B.

MudPumper
10-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I'm saying it's been shown over and over that 700 dyno H.P. will not equate to 700 H.P. to the shaft on a lake at normal operating conditions.. do people have 700 H.P.? Of course. It isn't a matter of losing the power.. it's a matter of it never being there to begin with .. Inflated H.P. ratings are or have been the norm for years .. why bank on a setup based on inflated numbers. Honestly I don't care if a guy has 2 million H.P. I don't want ANYBODY drinking alchohol and jumping into their boat to make a speed run anywhere near me or anybody else I care about. If it's OK with you, He could make a run near you or your family muddpumper, with his 700 to the imp. H.P. .. and I could care less.. but, that's JMO.. R.B.
F uck man lighten up. I was just wondering where you were going with that statement about the HP. Obviously you are all fired up about the alcohol thing. I never mentioned anything about the alcohol but if it would make you a happier person then yes he can drink and make speed passes by me with his uncorrected 700 dyno HP so you won't have to worry. Better yet what if he ran his motor on alcohol, maybe then he could make 700 HP.

ChetCapoli
10-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow you really got your moneys worth on that one, you must be proud of yourself.
That must be real fun having to pussy foot around in your hotrod jetboat cause your too cheap to spend the money for a nice impeller.
Personally, I couldnt deal with that, I like having parts in there that WILL not come apart when I mash it, and I would hate to have to lift everytime I saw a roller, especially in a river race.
Get a nice shaft and impeller and be done with it, you will be much happier in the long run.
Who ever said i "pussyfoot" around??? 700hp is pussy footing around?? When i needed to i MASHED THE MUTHERF#$^ER!! and NO PROBLEMS. The pump was built right(except for that sandcollector wear ring) so i never needed to mess with stainless or magbronze for that matter. This guy is running a MILD blown motor so tune the damn thing with basic parts and step up later..geez! You think those guys in the old days putting 1000hp to these things had the parts we have today??? I dont think so. I'm sure alot broke and i'm sure some lived(parts that is)
What is this with you and this "hard to weld" horseshit?? Like stainless is much easier?? Come on dude. Who told you this??? That's twice i noticed you mention that. Do you have an example cuz there sure is enough of them around. Your head has been stuck in the donut box too long thats what i think. If you check your impeller everytime out(your whole setup should be done for safety actually) get your setup dialed in with cheapy aluminum impellers, then take the hit ONCE after it's dialed in. If i remember correctly that blownalky guy was running ALUMINUM at one point for testing..what he got like 2000hp??? :jawdrop: Maybe we should ask him eh??? I'm sure he'll tell it like it is with no BS involved. Where's mister "anytime" on this one??? LMAO! Next will be the movies or something.
:eat: Donuts anyone?
CHET

steelcomp
10-27-2004, 05:53 AM
Who ever said i "pussyfoot" around??? 700hp is pussy footing around?? When i needed to i MASHED THE MUTHERF#$^ER!! and NO PROBLEMS. The pump was built right(except for that sandcollector wear ring) so i never needed to mess with stainless or magbronze for that matter. This guy is running a MILD blown motor so tune the damn thing with basic parts and step up later..geez! You think those guys in the old days putting 1000hp to these things had the parts we have today??? I dont think so. I'm sure alot broke and i'm sure some lived(parts that is)
What is this with you and this "hard to weld" horseshit?? Like stainless is much easier?? Come on dude. Who told you this??? That's twice i noticed you mention that. Do you have an example cuz there sure is enough of them around. Your head has been stuck in the donut box too long thats what i think. If you check your impeller everytime out(your whole setup should be done for safety actually) get your setup dialed in with cheapy aluminum impellers, then take the hit ONCE after it's dialed in. If i remember correctly that blownalky guy was running ALUMINUM at one point for testing..what he got like 2000hp??? :jawdrop: Maybe we should ask him eh??? I'm sure he'll tell it like it is with no BS involved. Where's mister "anytime" on this one??? LMAO! Next will be the movies or something.
:eat: Donuts anyone?
CHET
Maybe with all your wisdom and experience you can tell us the difference and how you'd go about repairing the two different types, eh chet?
That would go a lot further than your ranting and raving and childish insults, although we realize you can't help yourself. That red box under your name speaks volumes. Good job, there chet!

Squirtcha?
10-27-2004, 06:15 AM
You'll never know how much it pains me.................to agree with Chet on this one (minus the rantings).
Here's the way I see it........ If you're going for maximum performance and cutting the impeller going after that magic combination of max hp at a particular rpm etc. it stands to reason that you're going to reach a point where the gains have dropped off and you find you went too far. With a aluminum impeller (possibly even a used one) it's not a big deal. However, if you've just cut your $900+ stainless impeller down too far, you're gonna be pissed for sure.
To me, it only makes sense to sacrafice the cheaper aluminum impeller to find that perfect cut to maximize performance, then use that information to cut down the stainless (mistake free).
Damn that hurt.
Obviously I can't speak to the welding/repair parts since I don't weld.

Cs19
10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
I have no problem with getting your cut right with an aluminum impeller, I personally wouldnt do it that way, but I know lots of people do, nothing wrong with that, I never disputed that.
I was under the impression you were telling the guy he can get away with an aluminum impeller, maybe he can? I know of more than one blown motor that doesnt run like it should, all for looks and sound. We need to know what kind of power he is really making.
So Chet, can you weld up a mag bronze impeller correctly? What rod are you using? You should know how to do these things Mr. do it your self.
There is no way you can repair a mag bronze like you can a stainless, no way. Its too bad we dont have before/ mid progress and after pics of Jakes stainless. Id like to see chet do that to a mag bronze.
Why do you always compare people to food? Like Jake and ham sandwiches and me and donuts? Your a little strange there Chet.

Jet Hydro
10-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Because the mag bronze are very hard to repair (weld), and they are very heavy. The berk stainless Im running has been around longer than I have probably, and it works great. If it were a mag it would have been in the scrap pile a long time ago.
The mag bronze I`m running has probably seen more HP than most of us will ever have and it`s been ran in 2 different drag boats for years. It`s out of the old Flash Back boat and now it`s in my hydro. I wouldnt weld up any impeller if it had a crack or became damaged in anyway. Yea I know you can but I wont run it in any of my pumps. For the price and the longevity I`d still pick a mag bronze hands down.
Just my $0.02
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement!

MudPumper
10-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Who ever said i "pussyfoot" around??? 700hp is pussy footing around??
CHET
Pay attention there Knuckle Sandwich. Didn't you read where Carlson Jet said that nobody runs 700HP in the real world. Later Pussy Foot. :D

Nucking futs
10-27-2004, 03:02 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
:lightsabe :lightsabe :lightsabe :lightsabe :lightsabe

Jake W2
10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Jethydro ask Brian what happned to his Mag bronze. ;)

Jake W2
10-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Also for guys running N2O I have heard more than once of the shot cracking the blades on alum.
Dan have you checked yours in a while?
Jake

Jet Hydro
10-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Yea but ask him where Rick`s is? Rick`s boat had a lot more HP than Brian has. I`m pretty sure I`v got more than Brian. The boat my motor came out of ran some 9.90`s if I remember right????.
Rick`s ran 9.0`s all day long. I haven't broken it even with airing out the pump like I have a few times.
You tell me :idea: ;)

Squirtcha?
10-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Also for guys running N2O I have hear more than once of the shot cracking the blades on alum.
Dan have you checked yours in a while?
Jake
Visually checked it a month ago or so. Didn't see anything out of the norm. Kinda hard to see from the intake though. I think about it and check it every so often.
Thanks for mentioning it Jake.

Jake W2
10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Steve I am not saying Magbronze won't hold up just that people break them just like alum breaks shit happens.I have heard of HP cracks in SS but not broke ones.How about you.
Simmer down now.
He did move to a SS though.
Jake

Cs19
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Pay attention there Knuckle Sandwich. Didn't you read where Carlson Jet said that nobody runs 700HP in the real world. Later Pussy Foot. :D
:D

bruleracer
10-27-2004, 08:12 PM
yes,yes you are!! see in about 10 days cs, whatch the lights!!!

TRG
10-27-2004, 08:20 PM
:idea: everybody has cool avitars on this page! i need to figure out how to get ont like chris n steve though! :idea:

MudPumper
10-27-2004, 08:27 PM
:idea: everybody has cool avitars on this page! i need to figure out how to get ont like chris n steve though! :idea:
That's easy Todd. Come November run that bitch at Ming. :)

bruleracer
10-27-2004, 08:28 PM
todd, just bring that ride to the races, get a picture of it, and spend about 1 1/2 hours with cyclone trying to figure out how to make it that small...... thats what i did!
say hi to the family for me.

Cs19
10-27-2004, 08:39 PM
You guys would laugh if I told you how I got that pic on here. :D Ive been a member for 2 years plus and I still cant figure out how to re-size pics.
See you in a few days Brule. Cant wait... I hear you guys will have uniforms and everything at the next event. Brule racing is goin bigtime!!

Jake W2
10-27-2004, 08:42 PM
You guys need a photo shop program the nebior kid hooked me up and showed me how to use it :hammerhea
Jake

Jet Hydro
10-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Jake it`s like this:
If someone asked me if I`d take a free SS I`d say sure but being that none has offered me one I feel pretty safe with my Mag/Bronze. If I didn't feel safe with it I think you know I`d spend the money for the SS.
SS is better but the Mag/Bronze is just one step below. If I ever get my brad 5 I`ll go to a SS for sure but for the HP I have the Mag/Bronze has preformed flawlessly.
Why did Brian brake his? I have not a clue because I wasn't there to see what he was doing. I know he was trying to bust in to the 100mph bracket. The Mag/Bronze should have handled that with no problem.
I don't skimp on hardware as if you haven't noticed. I leave it up to Duane and Dave on what my pump needs. They say a Mag/Bronze will work for now so that`s what I`m running. If I broke an impeller while making a pass I`d bet you money that I`d have a big nasty crash. I put my trust in the people that work on my pump and as you know every year I go faster. I`m just the Owner\Driver by no means does that make me a pump expert, I do as Duane and Dave tell me to do.
Every part has it`s limits and every part even thou it`s the same casting number as another may not last as long as the other. How long before I brake something???
Who know`s? Like you said "shit happens" and that`s part of racing.
It`s all good, like I said before
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"!

ChetCapoli
10-27-2004, 09:16 PM
You'll never know how much it pains me.................to agree with Chet on this one (minus the rantings).
You need a slap squirtcha! What the hell you thinkin here?? :D

TRG
10-27-2004, 09:48 PM
:rolleyes: gettin cold up there yet chet? :smile:

ChetCapoli
10-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I have no problem with getting your cut right with an aluminum impeller, I personally wouldnt do it that way, but I know lots of people do, nothing wrong with that, I never disputed that.
Must be nice to have the money to jump right in. God bless!
I was under the impression you were telling the guy he can get away with an aluminum impeller, maybe he can? I know of more than one blown motor that doesnt run like it should, all for looks and sound. We need to know what kind of power he is really making.
He just might be able too if he checks it regularly. Never know until you try it right?? That blownalky guy didn't have a problem did he??
So Chet, can you weld up a mag bronze impeller correctly? What rod are you using? You should know how to do these things Mr. do it your self.
How did this go from YOU stating "it's tough to weld magbronze" with no examples to putting it on me with "can you weld a mag correctly". I'm not a welder so why ask?? I'm asking you since you mentioned it twice already....so whats the deal?? Where did you get the info to make a statement like that?? You obviouly know something so speak up!
There is no way you can repair a mag bronze like you can a stainless, no way. Its too bad we dont have before/ mid progress and after pics of Jakes stainless. Id like to see chet do that to a mag bronze.
No way eh?? Again, HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS??? Do you have an example?? Are you a welder or just a clansmen follower like the rest and just was told it cant be done?? Easier to buy say....legend right?? Jakes stainless?? Now why on earth would you pick jakes impeller out of all the rest??? Hmmmm.....let me guess.
Why do you always compare people to food? Like Jake and ham sandwiches and me and donuts? Your a little strange there Chet.
Why?? hmmm...cuz i smell krispy cremes all over your posts thats why. Someones mentions anything and your right there with something similiar to what ol HB would say....get my drift?? Do you work on your own boat and setup or do you drop it off somewhere??? Have you run anything in that boat of yours other than "preferred legend" and what were the results besides going slower, exploding, and having to weld up everything...err...somethings..sorry..and shitcanning the rest of it??? As for jake... he started with the hot hammys a while ago....pretty funny actually. He's starting to get a soft spot for donuts though i notice. :) . Wonder why the promotor didnt get the nod being he is so close. :confused: Hobo?? care to clarify for us viewers??. I need more fuel for the fire. :D
Did i tell ya i miss my jetboat?? Keeping track of this valuable info for my next one so i can run all the proper parts and have the proper shop work on it for me.
CHET

Cs19
10-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Ya know what I just spent 45 minutes writing a long post for chet, and im not gonna post it. Bye chet, your just not worth it after thinking about it.
Have fun welding Chet, lay a fat bead down on that mag broze for me.

UBFJ #454
10-28-2004, 03:32 AM
Ya know Chet, we've all been waiting and watching to see when you were going to Do It To Yourself ... And Now You've Accomplished It ... I Mean Really Done It ...
You've, With Out A Doubt, Made The Biggest Fool Of Yourself You Possibly Could Have.
You really should find out who Chris is, what he does for a living and who he works with ... Hint ... Chris does most of the work on his own boat, after work, and has access to all the tools and Professional Advice he needs to accomplish what he sets out to do. Putting together your own 9.5 Second river/lake boat on your first attempt is quite an accomplishment and Chris has done that (and he's not making all that much Hp and runs pump gas).
You know if you'd approach things more positively some of these guys might in time even get to like you ... It's not that you have differing opinions, it's the way you express them and attack people that turns people off.
Oh yeah, in case you haven't heard we're now running in the Higher 7's and expect to get a bit quicker here soon ... Mike and I have figured out what was needed and physically done most of the work to get there though we've had some good advice from many others along the way.

bp
10-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Why?? hmmm...cuz i smell krispy cremes all over your posts thats why. Someones mentions anything and your right there with something similiar to what ol HB would say....get my drift?? Do you work on your own boat and setup or do you drop it off somewhere??? Have you run anything in that boat of yours other than "preferred legend" and what were the results besides going slower, exploding, and having to weld up CHET
chet, you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to. try some research, it might help. he got into the 9.30s last time, 91 octane n/a 496 (i saw him get his gas at the local standard station). as jak mentioned, you're looking the fool this time.
just because his deal doesn't have towel racks doesn't make it bad...

djdtpr
10-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Ya know what I just spent 45 minutes writing a long post for chet, and im not gonna post it. Bye chet, your just not worth it after thinking about it.
Have fun welding Chet, lay a fat bead down on that mag broze for me.
CS19 is alittle wiser in this area than most even know i dont think i would go to argueing with him about pumps.I do think he is a HOMO though and is going to get smoked by "TEAM BRULE'" in ten days. :D

Jet Hydro
10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Ok I`ll take the bait, Who is this cs19??? Elvis? :idea:

Duane HTP
10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey CHET, I think this would be the perfect time for you to bend over, put your head back up between your legs, and kiss yourself right in the eye.

HammerDown
10-28-2004, 01:24 PM
:notam:

Jet Hydro
10-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Duane, that was a good one :D

bp
10-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Ok I`ll take the bait, Who is this cs19??? Elvis? :idea:
hhmmm, thought provoker you.. hhmmm.. he very well could be.. :jawdrop:
why, i think i heard him singin' just the other day.. "teambrule you ain't nuthin' but a hound dog.... cryin' all the time...", or sumthin like that :cool:

djdtpr
10-28-2004, 06:07 PM
hhmmm, thought provoker you.. hhmmm.. he very well could be.. :jawdrop:
why, i think i heard him singin' just the other day.. "teambrule you ain't nuthin' but a hound dog.... cryin' all the time...", or sumthin like that :cool:
Holy crap was that a sense of humor you just used BP?Now thats funny i dont care who ya are.I knew deep down you had it in ya. :D

bp
10-28-2004, 07:27 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

Jake W2
10-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Chet where you been I have allways liked Donuts.But you allmost can't beat a ham sam if grilled just rite.
CS 19 this was brought up when there was a Southwind TD for sale in Cali think it was Mousers that Big Proppa bought and I said if it was near me I would be all over it like a HoBo on a ham sandwitch and Chet thought I was blowing smoke and a 2 or 3 weeks l later I bought my Gullwing.
I think I know where he got the donut thing it might have something to do with MPDs donut fryers = parts cleaners?.There was a thread awhile back about the bottom of The HotTub and it was brought up there.But I could have just made that up?
DUDE Elvis is dead
Jake

Jet Hydro
10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
DUDE Elvis is dead
Jake :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

steelcomp
10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
All bow to CS19...I think I'm going to puke! :sleeping:

CARLSON-JET
10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Mudpumper, I don't think it is chet who Cannot read nor comprehend. I would like you find my quote where I said this and how it applies. here is my quote( "I'm saying it's been shown over and over that 700 dyno H.P. will not equate to 700 H.P. to the shaft on a lake at normal operating conditions.. do people have 700 H.P.? Of course. It isn't a matter of losing the power.. it's a matter of it never being there to begin with .. Inflated H.P. ratings are or have been the norm for years .. why bank on a setup based on inflated numbers") I find it striking you're telling somebody elso to pay attention while you are misquoting me.. I Pm'd Mr Williams telling him I appoligize for attacking his post with such negatism as it isn't my style. I came off extremely harsh but honestly did not mean to offend him. your misquote has now been requoted several times. R.B.

MudPumper
10-31-2004, 08:22 PM
Mudpumper, I don't think it is chet who Cannot read nor comprehend. I would like you find my quote where I said this and how it applies. here is my quote( "I'm saying it's been shown over and over that 700 dyno H.P. will not equate to 700 H.P. to the shaft on a lake at normal operating conditions.. do people have 700 H.P.? Of course. It isn't a matter of losing the power.. it's a matter of it never being there to begin with .. Inflated H.P. ratings are or have been the norm for years .. why bank on a setup based on inflated numbers") I find it striking you're telling somebody elso to pay attention while you are misquoting me.. I Pm'd Mr Williams telling him I appoligize for attacking his post with such negatism as it isn't my style. I came off extremely harsh but honestly did not mean to offend him. your misquote has now been requoted several times. R.B.
Yeah, I misquoted you on purpose. Don't take it personally. Obviously you weren't picking up what I was putting down by doing that so forget about it. It was all in good fun directed toward Chet, nothing against you. I hope you can comprehend that. ;)