PDA

View Full Version : Wish us luck :(

MAINEVENT
10-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Our new boy is on his way to the vet right now and it does not look good as i posted on friday Thor came into our house and last night through today has not looked good today he started to piss out the rear and vomating (sp?) we called a couple vets and they are calling Parvol (sp?) :( this sucks we've just had him three days and have gotten really attached to the boy....
I will keep you posted :( :( ...............
MAINEVENT<------ NEVER THOUGHT I'D GET ATTACHED TO A DOG....

Phat Matt
10-24-2004, 09:01 PM
That sucks! If it is Parvo, you would have to disinfect the place including the outside if you get another dog. I hope it doesn't come down to that though!

Bre
10-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear your new baby is feeling bad. Let us know what happens :)

bob briley
10-24-2004, 09:04 PM
good luck to you .the same happend to our dog moto . and he made it .the vet did a great job

MAINEVENT
10-24-2004, 09:05 PM
That sucks! If it is Parvo, you would have to disinfect the place including the outside if you get another dog. I hope it doesn't come down to that though!
Yeah thats what i've heard and Co is not doing good :frown: though so i cant imagine another dog we are just keeping our fingers crossed and hope he ate something we did not see

MAINEVENT
10-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear your new baby is feeling bad. Let us know what happens :)
Will do :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

switchin'addiction
10-24-2004, 09:06 PM
I hope everything turned out for the best.

bob briley
10-24-2004, 09:08 PM
what breed is it ?

MAINEVENT
10-24-2004, 09:11 PM
what breed is it ?
Black Lab and he's 13 weeks here he is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/MAINEVENTALEX/DSCN1635.jpg

racecar.hotshoe
10-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Parvo is nasty,It can lay dormet for along time,If your dog has it clorox you house and yard to kill it.Sorry about your pup.Mark

jbtrailerjim
10-24-2004, 09:13 PM
That sucks!! I hope everything turns out ok. :frown:

bob briley
10-24-2004, 09:16 PM
labs are a strong breed, thats what ours is and he was 6 weeks old when he got it.

Boozer
10-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Hopefully you caught it early enough and if so you can most likely count on him making a recovery. Several years ago I had a puppy that I had raised since day 1 of her life. In a period of 10 months I grew attached to her and loved her more then life itself.
My brother g/f came over and asked us to dog sit. We agreed and all was well. The dogs played and got along well. A week later PeeWee the dog we were sitting was dead. Parvo killed him. My dog Spot got sick around the same time and I got concerned my father the cheap skate he was said maybe its just a simple illness and all will be well. I explained the PeeWee situation and he still did nothing. A few days later Spot was shitting blood. Thats when my father finally did something about it.
Spot was at the vet for 5 days. On the 5th day she was to come home. The 5th day I called the vet in excitement because my dog was finally coming home and after growing so attached to her I was going crazy not having her with me. When I called the vet my happiness was quickly overcome with grief. That morening Spot had died. I cried for 3 days. It was tough.
The vet said had we brought her in sooner she'd have made it.
Good luck with the pup MainEvent I'll say a prayer for your little one tonight. It sounds like you guys caught it soon enough and can hope for a fast recovery.

H20 Toie
10-24-2004, 09:18 PM
We went through the same thing. The key is making sure they have enough liquid. Our vet had us take the dog home and showed us how to give her fluid which wasn't fun but she lived and turns out to be the best dog we ever had.
Good luck

IN2-IN2MX
10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
We lost a very young puppy to Parvo once. It is terrible. :frown: Hope Thor pulls through...labs are tough!

Racer277
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
We have our fingers crossed it is something simple like eating the wrong thing!
We'll be thinking about your family.
The R277's

bunny 166
10-24-2004, 09:36 PM
We have a black lab ourselves...they are one of the family. GL to you and we hope your new sweetie is OK--we're thinking of you...

FMluvswater
10-24-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry your puppy is sick. I hope he gets better. :clover: Pets are precious.

RiverKitty
10-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Yup! I had a puppo once that died of Parvo.
Not to many dogs live if they get Parvo but as Boozer said, if you get them in early enough there only hope.
Sorry to hear about your puppy Booz. :(
MAINEVENT - I hope your puppo recoups from this illness.

PlyaPlya22
10-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Mark good luck with the dog!! I hope everything goes well!!

C-2
10-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I believe when a dog dies from Parvo, it actually dies from dehydration which results in organ failure.
To prevent the above from happening, a vet will keep the dog hydrated thru meds and saline injenctions to the back.
We had a pup that got Parvo. At the time we couldn't afford hospitalization, so we took the dog to the vet every day for saline injections and meds. After several days the dog couldn't handle the saline injections and the vet recommended putting her down. He told us in the alternative, we could try to nurse the dog back to health by keeping her full of Pedialyte, via a turkey baster.
Dogs with Parvo will not eat or drink. For four days, we each took turns and about every half hour or so, shot a baster full of Pedialyte down the dog's throat. She didn't like it and would spit half of it up......but eventually the dog survived and led a full life.
Ask the vet about this, and ask them SPECIFICALLY what they plan to do if the dog has Parvo. In our case, we were able to provide better care for or dog than could be administered by the vet (the every half hour thing).
Sorry to say but vets are mother f*#&#ers when it comes to b.s. diagnosis, treatments and prognosis. We've spent thousands on dogs before - only to see them put down (which should have been done in the first place).
Dr. Butchko in Rubidoux seems to be pretty honest and came highly recommended by friends. It's in the ghetto and is kinda like a free clinic atmosphere - but they know their stuff and will not screw you. Our friends lived in VENTURA and would take their dogs there.
Good luck, sorry to hear the bad news.

RiverKitty
10-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Great advice C-2!!! :D
Wish I would have known that years ago. :rolleyes:

FRENCHIE
10-25-2004, 04:57 AM
dont panic yet!!! ya never know...he could have jusst drank to much alcohol when ya were not wathcing!!!! ;)

spectratoad
10-25-2004, 05:42 AM
The first 24 hours is the deciding point. Like others said, it si the dehydration that gets them.
I used to work at a vet in high school and alot of them didn't make it, mostly due to the fact people waited too long to bring them in. Alot did make it though so don't lose hope. :frown:

MAINEVENT
10-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Co will better inform you guys later but NO PARVO thanx everyone for your support :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
10-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Co will better inform you guys later but NO PARVO thanx everyone for your support :rollside:
I am glad to hear no Parvo. Hope everything will be OK.

MRS. MAINEVENT
10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I cannot tell you guys how awesome you all have been to take your time to post about our new baby Thor. He and I were at the emergency vet last night until almost 2 this a.m. While Alex stayed home with the kids. No parvo thank GOD!!!!!!!!! They said he must have eatin something and it could have been at the breeders house and it has taken sometime to irrate his insides. So they gave him fluids and a shot and some special food with a prescription to give for 5 days and he should be fine. I was told that the reason they get soooo concerned with it is b/c puppies immune systems are very low until 6 months of age that is why they recommend that you do not take them around other dogs that are not yours and on any type of walk other than playing in your own yard. Hopefully our very expensive trip to the emergency last night can help someone else with their puppy...if they are vomiting or have loose bowels TAKE THEM IN RIGHT AWAY, IT IS LIFE THREATING IF YOU WAIT.
Have we mentioned how much we love our baby? :D Thanks guys you really are the best :clover: :D

Jordy
10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Glad to hear it's just an upset stomach and not parvo.
My dog got it when she was a puppy and the only yard she had been in was mine. It was scary, but she pulled through, her shots were current and she had just had her last shot a couple days before she got it. I became one of those people, you know, the ones that drop big money on a couple hundred dollar dog... She's the best dog I've ever seen. Still have her too. ;)
Jordy :D

syke-o
10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
glad to hear everything turned out ok... its amazing how our "pets" can become such a huge part of our family in such a short time!!! :D

spectratoad
10-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Thor probably just didn't want to go to school today. :wink:

Slib77
10-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Glad to hear he's gonna be O.K.!!!!

little rowe boat
10-25-2004, 09:23 AM
I am happy to hear everything is turning out well.Best of luck. LRB.

FMluvswater
10-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Awww that's such great news! :D I'm so glad your puppy will be okay. :cool:

bunny 166
10-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Great news!! We all love our animals so much! Looking forward to meeting you at Frenchies! Bunny ;)

Rexone
10-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Great news! Glad it wasn't Parvo. Take care of that little baby... :smile:

dicudmore
10-25-2004, 09:40 AM
hope he's OK :cool:

MRS. MAINEVENT
10-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks again you guys we are having a much better day today and now he hasn't gone yet, lol. Amazing what a little medicine will do.
Bunny we look forward to meeting you too sweetie :D
No school for Thor today. :cool: :rollside:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-25-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm so glad Thor is going to pull through. I have labs also. All dogs are great (except mean ones!) and I'm glad he'll make it to that horrible chewing stage for you to enjoy! LOL :)

Tow Guy
10-25-2004, 06:25 PM
I Had A Puppy And A Couch!!!!! :confused:
Now I Just have A Dog!!!!

IN2-IN2MX
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm so glad to hear that little guy is doing fine. :D

Goldilocks
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Matt and I have spent a lot of money on our dog Buddy for vet visits, but they are worth it. He's our kid and we love him to death. I couldn't imagine life without him. I am glad to hear that everything will be okay. :)

IN2-IN2MX
10-25-2004, 06:53 PM
On my first trip to the river this summer Buddy was the first cutie I met. He was walking around the Sandbar with that ball of his. We'd throw it and he'd just stare at us like "you're not gonna make ME go get it, are you?" He was such a good boy. :)

voodoomedman
10-25-2004, 06:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken you can get immunizations for this stuff. As soon as you get a dog take it to the vet and get these shots. Even if your house is clean it can be airborne and brought and left in your grass from other animals.
And goodluck with this puppy. Hope he turns out ok.

Goldilocks
10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
On my first trip to the river this summer Buddy was the first cutie I met. He was walking around the Sandbar with that ball of his. We'd throw it and he'd just stare at us like "you're not gonna make ME go get it, are you?" He was such a good boy. :)
LOL. That's Bud. He won't give you his toy until you ignore him and then he drops it and looks up at you like "Aren't you gonna throw the damn thing for me?" :smile: Dogs are so great!

FRENCHIE
10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
LOL. That's Bud. He won't give you his toy until you ignore him and then he drops it and looks up at you like "Aren't you gonna throw the damn thing for me?" :smile: Dogs are so great!
i dunno what id do without my bitches!!!?? :frown: :hammer2: :hammer2: :D