PDA

View Full Version : Swaps for toasted 76 OMC outdrive

Mighty Thor
10-26-2004, 10:31 PM
I have a 76 reinell with an OMC outdrive. I believe it is a model 233 or something like that, not trimable etc. We stripped the splines on the waterpump shaft and on the female shaft end that it goes into. In other words the upper has had it. Is there another type of outdrive that could be swapped into the hull without a whole lot of work to the boats transome? I would have considered fixing the OMC but between the price and the inherent problems with them stripping this shaft it seems money would be better spent on a different drive.

19cobaltcd
10-27-2004, 09:03 AM
I cant personally answer your question but know the dude that can. He's been certified in John-rude wackers, OMC and Merc drives for years. Run's a little parts and salvage place in Mt. Vernon Kansas. He goes by J.D., his number is 316-540-9986. I'm sure he could tell you if anything could replace it and would probably have the parts. Tell him blondie sent ya.

Mighty Thor
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Gracias amigo :)

DansBlown73Nordic
10-27-2004, 10:44 PM
That is a very weak spot in those drives. You can buy the parts from several places. They are not cheap. Im 99% sure nothing else will work without some major changes.

Mighty Thor
10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
I would even consider swaping engine and outdrive, just wondering about hole in transome? One option would be to plate the current hole with aluminum and make new opening in plate for the new outdrive. Anyone done something like this?

mirvin
10-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure OMC got eaten up by Volvo Penta. Might be worth checking with VP. Here's a good VP place:
www.marinepartsexpress.com
mirvin :mix:

73kona455
10-30-2004, 07:17 AM
i have a 73-74 boat with an omc outdrive that was still working when set up.. i'll try to find out what model... one of those things that i have been gonna part out.. but never got around to it...

racer
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Most of the boats with that drive only have a 1 inch transom because the engine does not rest on the transom all 4 engine mounts are into the stringers and the forward push is also against these mounts. The hole would need to be filled and the transom beefed up. Properly service those shafts will last a long time, problem is most dont service as the should and end up like yours.

switchin'addiction
11-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Try going here. (http://www.sterndrive.com) A lot of good OMC, VP, & Merc info & parts. Numerous OMC/VP experts on the board.

DansBlown73Nordic
11-07-2004, 01:49 AM
That is a really cool web site. Thanks