PDA

View Full Version : Weather Lesson

That Guy
10-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I wanted to ask someone on the board about how this early weather will affect the water levels along the Colorado river. My understanding is that most of the water in Powell, Mead, Havasu, etc., originally comes from the Colorado Rockies snow melt. Is this in fact true? If so, I haven't heard much about whether or not these latest storms have had an early season impact on the Rockies like they have had in So. and No. CA and Utah. Can someone further educate me??? Thanks. :rollside:

little rowe boat
10-27-2004, 08:34 AM
The Colorado river system relies on the snow melt off from the rockies.So what we need is many record breaking snow falls in the rockies.

Danhercules
10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Correct me if I a wrong, but it also depends on what side of the rockies.

rrrr
10-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Gotta be on the West side of the Continental Divide or it ends up in the Gulf of Mexico....

THOR
10-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Gotta be on the West side of the Continental Divide or it ends up in the Gulf of Mexico....
Precisely. The West side needs the snow pack to affect the lakes here.

little rowe boat
10-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Absolutely .

gramps
10-27-2004, 09:13 AM
some parts of Utah feed into Mead and not Powell............our local lake went up 30 feet in one day last week!!!!!!

Boozer
10-27-2004, 09:25 AM
The majority of the Rockies are west of the divide.
With El Nino rolling in it should make for a wet winter in the Rockies. Lets hope for it. I know the people IN the rockies are praying for it because they dont want another usmmer of severe water restrictions

It's Only Money
10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
We need about 5 YEARS of heavy snowfall in the Rockies to make a significant dent in the drought.

Misogynist
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
some parts of Utah feed into Mead and not Powell............our local lake went up 30 feet in one day last week!!!!!!
The Virgin River in the very southwest corner of Utah feeds into Mead.... All the rest is from the Colorado river... and further upstream the Green River, San Juan river, and the Dirty Devil.. Pray for snow in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah... that is what feeds most of the Colorado River..... :D

Misogynist
10-27-2004, 12:40 PM
We're getting hail here in Glendale... strange... I've never seen that here before.