PDA

View Full Version : Painting a trailer.

dmontzsta
10-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Anyone know what it costs to strip down and paint a trailer? or a good place to do it? We are going to redo the wood and some of the welds, I thought it would be a good time to paint it, since it looks shitty.
Thanks.

19cobaltcd
10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Did mine 3 years back. I stripped it down and towed it to the sandblaster on 2 tires (it tandem). Cost about a $100 for the blasting. Brought it home, touched up some welds, etched, primed and painted it in my garage. Used 2 part epoxy primer and paint. Built new bunks out of treated 2X4's, all new wiring and rollers. I also rebuilt all the wheel bearings while I was at it. Total cost was around $400 bucks. The top coat I used was 2 part urethane paint, still looks as good as the day I finished it and my rig sets outside all the time.

InKahntrol
10-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Did mine 3 years back. I stripped it down and towed it to the sandblaster on 2 tires (it tandem). Cost about a $100 for the blasting. Brought it home, touched up some welds, etched, primed and painted it in my garage. Used 2 part epoxy primer and paint. Built new bunks out of treated 2X4's, all new wiring and rollers. I also rebuilt all the wheel bearings while I was at it. Total cost was around $400 bucks. The top coat I used was 2 part urethane paint, still looks as good as the day I finished it and my rig sets outside all the time.
My dad and I just finished doing the same thing on both of our trailers... at the same time. The blaster used glass bead and said he normall charges $150 a pop, but did it for $100 each because we brought him two. I guess he might have been blowing smoke, but he did a nice job so I'm happy. I pulled off the bunks and two of the wheels, had him blast the whole trailer, then did a little bodywork an sprayed the trailer with DP90 primer before shooting it with PPG Concept single stage. I ended up redoing all the wheel bearings and building new bunks too. The cost for treated marine wood is so much higher than regular 2x4s, I bought the regular construction stuff and painted them with fiberglass resin before covering them in marine grade carpet. It should work ok. The final touch was adding diamond plate to the tops of teh fenders and the step pads. I'll see if I can snap some pics whent the weather clears up.
Dan

WaterBox
10-27-2004, 10:47 AM
My dad and I just finished doing the same thing on both of our trailers... at the same time. The blaster used glass bead and said he normall charges $150 a pop, but did it for $100 each because we brought him two. I guess he might have been blowing smoke, but he did a nice job so I'm happy. I pulled off the bunks and two of the wheels, had him blast the whole trailer, then did a little bodywork an sprayed the trailer with DP90 primer before shooting it with PPG Concept single stage. I ended up redoing all the wheel bearings and building new bunks too. The cost for treated marine wood is so much higher than regular 2x4s, I bought the regular construction stuff and painted them with fiberglass resin before covering them in marine grade carpet. It should work ok. The final touch was adding diamond plate to the tops of teh fenders and the step pads. I'll see if I can snap some pics whent the weather clears up.
Dan
So how much $$$$ Do you think you put into just the paint part of the project.????

63stevens
10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
I have had trailers sandblasted in the past and found that some sandblasting companies also offer to put some primer on for a minimal charge. You might ask if they offer the service. It saves alot of time and doesn't cost that much.

dmontzsta
10-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Anyone have companies they reccomend?

Hustler
10-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Anyone have companies they reccomend?
Contact AFCO in Gardena, I think they charge $600-$800 to blast and paint the trailer. Ask for mike and tell him Joe sent ya. 310-323-7175

InKahntrol
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
So how much $$$$ Do you think you put into just the paint part of the project.????
I have about $1500 invested total, including the cost of sand blasting, paint materials , wood, carpet, wiring harness, lights, diamond plate, bearings, chrome wheels with new tires, and a new removable tongue setup I got from Extreme Trailers. I originally planned on just having a new trailer made, but the one I wanted was going to cost about four grand, so I managed to update my old VM for considerably less and sunk the rest of that money into other aspects of the project.

TRG
10-27-2004, 07:41 PM
why dont you just powder cote it!
take it to inland powder coating and drop it off!
i recently did mine and it cost me $595.00
you take them the trailer and the only work you have to do is remove the wheels and hubs, the rest is up to them, they sand blast it and cote it there and their turn around on their busy time is 5 working days!
good stuff!
since the time i had mine coted, the trailer has been through hell and back, so i might have to take it back to them soon!
they are located in ontario CA off of the 60 fwy and grove.
todd

MOBrien
10-27-2004, 08:10 PM
So glad you guys are covering this topic 'cause my trailer needs paint too. My big Q is.......What the hell do I do with my boat for a week? :idea:

TRG
10-27-2004, 08:14 PM
some boat shops will store it for a week or so, especialy during winter, they have been known to be "not so busy"
there is a co. by the name of boats plus out here in la habra ca off of whittier blvd and he charges 100$ to store it on a dolly for 7 days!
just my .02
todd

TRG
10-27-2004, 08:16 PM
....or if anyone needs to borrow a dolly, i have one to lend (preferably for a smaller boat though! lol) ;)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Wow, $100 to have a trailer blasted sounds like a good deal to me. I almost paid that to blast mine with our blaster in sand alone.

flatnfast
10-27-2004, 09:07 PM
I need to do mine this winter also, I was wondering if there is anyone in the Santa Maria ca area that has a dolly or better yet a flatbottom trailer i can rent/borrow for a couple weeks while i do mine, The trailer is actually in real good shape just needs color changed, see pic and you will know why i want to change it to a silver.

78Southwind
10-27-2004, 09:42 PM
:idea:

BILLY.B
10-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Kustom Trailer in Rancho Cucamonga does them for me. I have taken some real rags over there and they come back looking new. Sandblast, bodywork on the welds to cover them up, prime, paint, new wiring & lights, new bunks and fender pads( marine wood carpeted), cost is around $1700. Now I know for some of you that might seem high but when you consider the price of a new trailer thats cheap, and i'm sure they will just do the sandblast and paint if thats all you want done. Believe me they look new when they get finished. Now I know that some of you can do it cheaper yourself but thats until you get overspray all over the neighbors cars and you have to pay to get all detailed at a couple hundred dollars apiece :eek: :) .

Brian Ray
10-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Billy B. do you have the phone number for Kustom Trailer?? $1700 sounds like a good deal to me. :)
Btw, does anyone know where to get chrome fenders...What can I expect to pay??

bocco
10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
So glad you guys are covering this topic 'cause my trailer needs paint too. My big Q is.......What the hell do I do with my boat for a week? :idea:
Discovery Bay Marina told me they would store my boat on one of the shelf type storages for about $85 a month. Not sure if yours is to big for the shelf or the forklift.

superdave013
10-28-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm thinkin it cost me 175 for the sandblast, around 450 ~ 500 in paint / paint supplies. Prolly another 3 hundie for mis. stuff like lights, wiring, new studs, bunks, bering buddys & bearings.
Welding was just my time.
The new s.s. fenders, don't ask.
And it was alot of fockin work!
Billy's deal don't sound bad.

Carnivalride
10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
dmontzsta
For what it's worth I'm rebuilding my trailer and this is where I'm at so far.
nearly 10lbs of welding wire not to mention the gas
$40 in steel from a surplus yard
$15 in suspension bushings
$20 for new equalizers
$25 for new suspension bolts
They gave me an estimate of $100 to sandblast and since I used to paint I'll do that my self too. Depending how much you want to spend $100-$500 and the better materials of course run on the high side. I also don't have bunks or electrical figured in yet.
So depending on your time and skill level it may be worth $1700 to you and it may not. Hope this helps some.

Itsahobby
10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
You may try Ellis trailer. I don't know what they charge to re-do a trailer, but when I was getting my new trailer they had a rebuilds going.
Hobby

InKahntrol
10-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Kustom Trailer in Rancho Cucamonga does them for me. I have taken some real rags over there and they come back looking new. Sandblast, bodywork on the welds to cover them up, prime, paint, new wiring & lights, new bunks and fender pads( marine wood carpeted), cost is around $1700. Now I know for some of you that might seem high but when you consider the price of a new trailer thats cheap, and i'm sure they will just do the sandblast and paint if thats all you want done. Believe me they look new when they get finished. Now I know that some of you can do it cheaper yourself but thats until you get overspray all over the neighbors cars and you have to pay to get all detailed at a couple hundred dollars apiece :eek: :) .
$1700 for all that isn't a bad deal at all, considering I have almost that much in my rebuild and I had to work my arse off on it. I didn't get any overspray on neighbors cars, but I did manage to coat my parents driveway in a fine mist of red. Dad didn't mind but mom had a serious problem with it, so I had to spend another afternoon with the pressure washer taking care of the problem. Luckily I don't live there so I don't have to look at it... :D

Prime 8780
10-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Kustom trailers # is 909 581-3000
Dan is the person you would like to speak to
Get er' dun!

slotracer
10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
beware of discovery bay marina. its $85.00 per month plus you have to pay the second month of $85.00 also a $85.00 security deposit so as you see its really $255.00. they want a 30 day notice of when you will vacate the space. they told me they would send me a credit on mine which i have not seen yet. so it looks like a have to take a trip out there. if you tell them you only want it for a month the may not take you in.
pat(slotracer) :D

repo man
10-28-2004, 11:26 PM
hey donnie bring it over to my house and we'll get the caveman to do it. :hammer2:

dmontzsta
10-29-2004, 07:27 AM
hey donnie bring it over to my house and we'll get the caveman to do it. :hammer2:
are you serious? I didnt know he could paint. It doesnt need anything fancy, just a full coat of paint, just to get rid of the chipping crap.
hmmm...I could get it sandblasted and strip everything (which I am doing to replace the bunks anyways) then I just need a dolley to keep the boat on while the trailer is at your house. This could work, dont you know a painter that can get paint cheap? We dont have to worry about neighbors at your house, thats for damn sure...lol

repo man
10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
i also have a sandblaster :idea:

dmontzsta
10-29-2004, 05:37 PM
i also have a sandblaster :idea:
You are the man! Let me know when you are ready and where to get the paint, I will bring the beer and pizza. :D

Boatmike
10-30-2004, 07:46 AM
I have found the best bang for the buck here in town. I like to powder my trailers if possible because it is alot tougher than paint and vary hard to chip.
Here are a few pics of my last trailer project.
BEFORE
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/753Picture_036-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/753Picture_032-med.jpg
AFTER
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/753Picture_078-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/753Picture_079-med.jpg
All for $800.00! Trailer blasted down to bare metal, powder coated, all new wood, new wheels, new wiring and lights.

Boatmike
10-30-2004, 07:53 AM
As far as what to do with the boat. You can go to you local boat shop and have them remove the boat from the trailer with their boat hoist, or if you are as lucky as i was to have some homies with a boat dolly like this one that you can use to keep the boat on til the trailer is done.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/753DSCF00081-med.JPG

dmontzsta
10-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Nice looking boat. That before pic looks exactly like my trailer now, same color and all.

steelcomp
10-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I need to do mine this winter also, I was wondering if there is anyone in the Santa Maria ca area that has a dolly or better yet a flatbottom trailer i can rent/borrow for a couple weeks while i do mine, The trailer is actually in real good shape just needs color changed, see pic and you will know why i want to change it to a silver.
Flatnfast...check your PM's

steelcomp
10-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I got brand new chrome fenders from Competitive for 375.00 for the pair.
Super...I priced sst fenders. OUCH!!! But...they're definately the way to go. They're forever. My chrome fenders are already showing signs of "wear". Just someone sitting on a dusty chrome fender will scratch it...and you can't polish out those scratches, unlike the sst fenders. I just try to keep them covered and waxed.

77charger
10-30-2004, 08:44 PM
the powder coat option sounds like the way to go but if you go paint definitely sand blast it first it will make it much easier.I usually tow my boat on a 1100 mile round trip once a year and the roads can do some paint damage(rock and gravel chips).Also been towing to the river just about every other week this summer and have had two truck tires blow in front of me only to hit the trailer.now i have some lights to repair.When i have to paint it i will prob put the boat in the water for a few days to redo.

Jake W2
10-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Boatmike your stuff looks supper clean as allways.
Can some one take a good pic of how the fenders are held on with out steps.
I am cutting the steps off my trailer today to start the redo process and I want o put just the fenders back on with no steps.It looks like there is a pice of flat stock bolted to the trailer then square tube coming off of that with gusets to a sheet of metal shaped like the fender sides and the fenders bolt to them.Am I close.
Do you guys use blocks or drop axels to lower your trailers?
Jake

haulina29
10-31-2004, 07:15 AM
Jake W2 you are right on all accounts .

david_396
10-31-2004, 07:44 AM
Will powder coating adhere to bondo?

steelcomp
10-31-2004, 08:19 AM
Will powder coating adhere to bondo?
Nope. The oven that bakes the powdercoating is around 400 deg f.

steelcomp
10-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Boatmike your stuff looks supper clean as allways.
Can some one take a good pic of how the fenders are held on with out steps.
I am cutting the steps off my trailer today to start the redo process and I want o put just the fenders back on with no steps.It looks like there is a pice of flat stock bolted to the trailer then square tube coming off of that with gusets to a sheet of metal shaped like the fender sides and the fenders bolt to them.Am I close.
Do you guys use blocks or drop axels to lower your trailers?
Jake
Jake...I know lowering the trailer looks cool, but IMO, you'll be sorry. They get to be a pain in the ass, dragging on everything, in and out of driveways, and depending on where you plan on launching, (or don't plan) can be a problem. Just an observation.

MikeF
10-31-2004, 08:36 AM
? That trailer that BoatMike has is an Allen trailer. I have an Allen trailer too and I know that my trailer has bondo on it (possibly to cover some prior repairs). With all the smooth curves, I would think there is bondo under it.
BoatMike, did you happen to see the trailer after the sandblasting and before the PC application? Was there bondo there?

Jake W2
10-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Steelcomp you are all over me today.I was only going to lower it about one inch and then fit the fenders to the wheels since I will be redoing them any way but thanks for the help.After driving a Body dropped and bagged truck for years nothing seems to low to me even if it drags. :shift:
Jake

Boatmike
10-31-2004, 11:25 AM
You are right there was bondo under the paint. I had to grind all of the bondo off and my brother rewelded some of the welds and ground them smooth. You cannot have any bondo on the trailer if you want to powdercoat it. I do prefer the powdercoating from a durability standpoint.