PDA

View Full Version : Polk MOMO's

Jesster
04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I am in the process of buying these and am wondering what your opinion is on the 6x9 vs. the 6.5 (MMC650). My original plan was to do 2 pair of each but I keep reading the opinion to do the 6.5's and not the 6x9's. I like it loud but I am not looking to be the sandbar DJ (I'll leave that to SWB) and I like clean sound also. Does anybody have both or heard both as a comparison. The 6x9 will handle 100W RMS Vs. the 6.5's 80W rms.
Another question, I have 2 KX 850.4's would there be any advantage or disadvatage to running 1 of these at 2 ohm's for the 8 speakers instead of 2 amps at 4 ohms? Any chance I would be overdiving them running 2 ohms? The system will be running from 2 Odyssey 2150's.
Thanks

MOBrien
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I've got both Polk MOMO's you're talking about and love 'em. 1 pair of 6x9's is under the rear bench and the other pair are in small enclosures mounted under the engine hatch firing forward for beach days. As well, I have 1 pair of 6.5's in the side panels of the main cabin area and another pair in the open bow. I run them along with a JL 12" and it's plenty. Three JBL amps power everything very well and efficiently..2 4 channels for the 6x9's and 6.5's and a mono 300w for the 12".....never heats up or clips from overheating. Total W is about 1400.
I have two Optima's in the boat....that's all and haven't drained one yet. Personally, I'd run both of your amps and forget ever overdriving them and put some small fans on 'em too for insurance. I've got two tube fans in my covered amp rack that are on a seperate switch. If I'm turning it up LOUD, I switch on the fans just in case. Other than that they are never on.
Whole system has worked flawlessly so far and everything was installed a year and a half ago. It was fairly inexpensive, is damn loud, and does not distort....very clean speakers for the money. Look on Ebay for the Polk's.....I got them for half of what they were selling for at Fry's.
Good luck.

Jesster
04-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I found them on ebay a while back for a buy it now price of 110.00 shipped for the 6.5's and 126.00 shipped for the 6x9's. I love ebay. :) I looked at a lot of speakers but it seems that the MOMO's get the best consistant reviews here and if ROZ recommends them they must be good. :rollside: I have 2 Phoenix gold 12" Zenon's that I'm running off a PG x600.1 I am hoping that is enough for them. I also found the IOTA DLS-55 w/IQ4 for 140 shipped. Thanks SWB. :) Where did you get the tube fans? Do you notice a difference in sound quality between the 6.5 an 6x9's? Thanks again for the info it is appreciated.

Cole Trickle
04-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I am running all Polk Momo stuff for my higs and mids.
4- 6x9's (690's)
4- 6.5 (650's)
2- 6.5 Seperates (6500's)
I think you would be hard pressed to find a better speaker even close to the price range.
They don't sound as good as the Focal K2's I had but they were 3X cheaper and have lasted alot longer.
I also like them because they came with decent looking sturdy grills so I didn't have to spend 1K for custom grills.

Sotally Tober
04-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Since you have 2 850.4's I would definatly run both of them. It would be easier on them. I run 1 850.4 to 6 mb quart seperates. The front channel is running at 4 ohms. The rear is parreled to 2 sets, dropping it to 2 ohms. The amp does just fine. So it can be done. It does have an internal fan which turns on when it gets warm. I have considered getting anothe 2 channel amp to seperate them. I can't justify it when it works good. Do you have a different amp for your subs?

Jesster
04-14-2006, 01:56 PM
ST, Yeah I'm running a 1 PG Xenon 600.1 to 2 PG Xenon 12D2's. I hope the 600.1 is enough for the 12's, RMS on them is 500 so if it doesnt sound like it hist hard enough I will definitly get another. But if I get another then Im coming in at around 3K watts and I dont want to spend the extra on the generator setup. Or maybe I would be better off just running a single 12 at the full rated power. There is also your solution and run a nice set of 6V battery's :)

Jesster
04-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I am running all Polk Momo stuff for my higs and mids.
4- 6x9's (690's)
4- 6.5 (650's)
2- 6.5 Seperates (6500's)
I think you would be hard pressed to find a better speaker even close to the price range.
They don't sound as good as the Focal K2's I had but they were 3X cheaper and have lasted alot longer.
I also like them because they came with decent looking sturdy grills so I didn't have to spend 1K for custom grills.
CT, How big is the difference in the 6500's Vs. the 650's? I was looking at those for mounting up high behind the sticks and opposite that below the seats. Can you aim the tweeter with the 6500's?

Cole Trickle
04-14-2006, 02:24 PM
CT, How big is the difference in the 6500's Vs. the 650's? I was looking at those for mounting up high behind the sticks and opposite that below the seats. Can you aim the tweeter with the 6500's?
The 6500's do sound better.(I have alot of power going to this set so I had to turn down the gains so it didn't throw off teh rest of the system.)
You can swivel the tweeter with the 6500 set up it's just not mounted in the middle of the grill.

ROZ
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Heck of a good speaker for the money.. especially what I use to give them away for :D
I have a pair of 6500's in my pickup. I've tried to destroy the mfor a little over a year now.. Still playin hard :D