PDA

View Full Version : STOOPID!!! Wiring a new battery...

DickDanger
07-26-2001, 08:21 PM
This sounds stupid, but what do I have to do to wire a second battery with a switch into my ride? Does it have to be ground to a different location from the first batt? How about the pos wire? Any info on this would help a LOT before I catch my boat on fire (Dick Danger + Electrical work = big damage!) Also, how about the switch??? Thanks to all tech guys...Dick Danger out

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 08:27 PM
DD just get you a Perko switch. They cost about $20. I can't remember if they come with directions, but they are a no brainer. They come in different flavors as I recall, but the one I had on my pontoon had Bat1, Bat2, Both, Off

kingb36
07-26-2001, 09:11 PM
Check out the West Marine catalog. They have an advisor section on a couple of different ways to do this, and some reasons why you might want to do this differently than the most common ways. If you use a 4 way perko make sure you get one with a field disconect, so if someone screws up and changes the switch while the engine is running you won't blow the alternator diodes.
You can get a West catalog by calling 1-800-262-8464. Hope this helps.
Bill

Hustler
07-26-2001, 09:13 PM
the perko switdh does have a wireing diagram.
But just incase both pos. from the bat. go to the switch, then the pos. from. the switch go to the starter. pos. are done. grounds from the bat. can both go straight to the block or you can tie one ground to the block and the other bat. ground can go to the bat. that is already grounded.
good luck and please dont burn down the boat.
Hustler

racingrascal
07-26-2001, 09:34 PM
If you don't use a perko switch then you can look into a battery isolater. I have one on one of my trucks. I am asumming that you may want to do this for a stereo? If so go with an isolater. It is a big silonoed. You run your battery lead (pos) to it and the other lead (pos) then you run a hot wire to a togle switch somewhere that is easy to reach i.e. under the dash, on the dash, or somewhere that it is easy to get to. Run your ground to a simular spot that the stock one is. If you go to the old battery for a ground you may not get as much power because your ground is traveling farther. The same gos for the power the farther you run it the more power it takes to get to the end. What is the purpose for this battery?
Andy

DickDanger
07-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Everyone, thanks for the good info. Even an electrical weaka$$ like me can follow that. Actually, since I fried my bat at Polio Pond on wednesday (yeah, it was REAL impressive paddling my jet in to the dock) I dont wanna chance that happening again. Thanks again!!!

rivercrazy
07-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Go to the Perko web site. It has the wiring diagram available at your finger tips.