PDA

View Full Version : First timer to boards (virgin member)

lets get wet
10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I am a newbie to the boards so I hope I am not asking to much, but I have been looking at purchasing my first boat. I have looked around at a few of the builders, but the prices of these boats are a little high. Now I have been looking at the used market(something less than 5 years old). What do you look for when puchasing a used boat. Some of the boats I am considering are laveycraft, ultra, commander, and cobra. If anyone has any info on theses builders it would be greatly appreciated or any other good quality builder?

LUVNLIFE
10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the boards. Thre are plenty of people here than own those boats. Ask nicely and they will reply. Remember to post your questions in the other areas as well. Welcome again. Cale

LVJAKAZ
10-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Welcome!!! Sorry i have no info on new or used boats, but I do know you are going to have fun here :)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the boards! You will find your answers here for sure. Give it a little time.

FRENCHIE
10-27-2004, 05:18 PM
I am a newbie to the boards so I hope I am not asking to much, but I have been looking at purchasing my first boat. I have looked around at a few of the builders, but the prices of these boats are a little high. Now I have been looking at the used market(something less than 5 years old). What do you look for when puchasing a used boat. Some of the boats I am considering are laveycraft, ultra, commander, and cobra. If anyone has any info on theses builders it would be greatly appreciated or any other good quality builder?
I would reccomend a used shockwave....but its rare ya see one for sale!!! however if your looking for a 21' try Kilrtoy!! :cool:

SBullet
10-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the boards!! Buy a Nordic!! :)

dicudmore
10-27-2004, 05:20 PM
welcome to the boards :cool:
for a little less $$$ than the ones mentioned try Stealth or Cheetah...
Genesis is a nice boat also
Good luck to you...
-Dan

Mandelon
10-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Naw, Laveycrafts are better. :wink:

redneckgirl
10-27-2004, 05:30 PM
What size and power/drive are you looking for??? Welcome aboard and don't leave out shockwave!!!!!
RNG

Raisin Wake
10-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm relatively new myself to the board. I just purchased a 1995 Eliminator 22 Extreme. It was a few years older than I was looking for, but, with a brand new 454, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. It rides great and I've always wanted an Eliminator.
Don't forget Boat Trader Online (http://www.boattraderonline.com)
Lot's of great deals. Welcome, and good luck...

lets get wet
10-27-2004, 05:57 PM
I was looking for something in the 21 to 24 foot range. Possibly at least powered by a 350. How is the 6.2 in that size boat?

Debbolas
10-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Welcome!
Buy a Kachina and all will be well :D
oh, and when ya get a chance Tom Brown needs to see some boobs.....your girlfriend/wife's..........not yours........... :biggrin :rollside:

FMluvswater
10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the forum 'lets get wet'. I have some links to articles you may find interesting if not exactly what you are asking for ...
http://boating.ncf.ca/howto.html
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/usedboats.htm
BTW I don't have a boat but I still found the articles interesting and quite an eye-opener. :)
Hope you have fun here. :cool:

Mrs.Racer277
10-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the boards. Good luck on your boat search. :) Search the boat trader. The hubby did for almost a year. Purchased a used boat this summer. Very happy with it. I am sure everyone here will help you out.

BarryMac
10-27-2004, 06:41 PM
I was looking for something in the 21 to 24 foot range. Possibly at least powered by a 350. How is the 6.2 in that size boat?
Kilrtoy has a pretty nice boat for sale, 30k I think, 63mph and thru transom exhaust...
now where's the pics of your girlfriend???
J/k, welcome and have a blast...

Forkin' Crazy
10-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Don't listen to these guys, all they have is a bunch of carboats!!!!!! :smile: J/K
FC waiting for carnage...LOL! :eat:

Kim Hanson
10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Welcome to The Sandbox, stay away from benchracer though! Those are a tough crowd............( . )( . ).......... :)

Debbolas
10-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Ok, I'm blonde, please explain what a "car boat" is............... :confused:

BarryMac
10-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, I'm blonde, please explain what a "car boat" is............... :confused:
A boat that isn't a wack-off, I mean a wacka, a freaking stinky smelly outboard...

Kilrtoy
10-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the circus.
Price will dictate what boats will be available to you.
Good luck.....

Debbolas
10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
A boat that isn't a wack-off, I mean a wacka, a freaking stinky smelly outboard...
Why is that like a car? :confused:

a catered life
10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm relatively new myself to the board. I just purchased a 1995 Eliminator 22 Extreme. It was a few years older than I was looking for, but, with a brand new 454, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. It rides great and I've always wanted an Eliminator.
Don't forget Boat Trader Online (http://www.boattraderonline.com)
Lot's of great deals. Welcome, and good luck...
finally another eliminator owner i was kinda lonely in here i am also new but have really enjoyed the people and convo in the threads. i have had a chance to meet jetboat rich and family which was great waiting to meet frenchie and the beaumount gang wondering if they can really pound
i am on my second boat and would definally recommend a used boat the first time around that way you will be able to make sure boating is for you some people find out it gets expensive and waste their money. after all jets or props cost money :220v: storage is also a bitc :argue: and dont forget the gas you gotta pay to play

Kim Hanson
10-27-2004, 06:57 PM
You be nice whirl pool boy :idea: I bet you have a Home Depot Account right :D ............( . )( . )...Car boat thing!

BarryMac
10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
You be nice whirl pool boy :idea: I bet you have a Home Depot Account right :D ............( . )( . )...Car boat thing!
yep, got a huge credit line, do you need to get some materials to build up your cardboard box? I can help out if need be... :skull: Kim, your my hero... :cool:
Deb,
He's talkin about a boat with an engine that could go in a car, like what you and I both have in our boats... :smile:

Tow Guy
10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Welcome:
Most Boats In The 21 To 24 Foot Range Have And Need A 454 496 502 Etc To Get Above 60 Mph
The Weight And Configuration Have Alot To Do With Ride And Speed Also..........
Look,Look,Look...Before You Buy, Boats Are Fun And Costley At The Same Time, be Apsolutely (sp) Sure You Want A Boat And What Type Then Find It And You'll Enjoy Years Of Fun In The Sun...If You Take Care of It!!
Good Luck T.G.

voodoomedman
10-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Welcome:
Most Boats In The 21 To 24 Foot Range Have And Need A 454 496 502 Etc To Get Above 60 Mph
Look,Look,Look...Before You Buy, Boats Are Fun And Costley At The Same Time, be Apsolutely (sp) Sure You Want A Boat And What Type Then Find It And You'll Enjoy Years Of Fun In The Sun...If You Take Care of It!!
Good Luck T.G.
This is all true and when your absolutely ready be sure to look at Ultra.
Don't kill me guys. I said look. Just keeping the option open.

Debbolas
10-27-2004, 07:05 PM
yep, got a huge credit line, do you need to get some materials to build up your cardboard box? I can help out if need be... :skull: Kim, your my hero... :cool:
Deb,
He's talkin about a boat with an engine that could go in a car, like what you and I both have in our boats... :smile:
Ok, thanks!
Debbolas<------------no longer confused :cool:

LilHarley
10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Try to get a feel for what you want out of the boat and what type of boating you are going to do (i.e. river, lake, ocean, skiing, wakeboarding, speed, etc.), along with what type of ride you will have.
As myself, I just went through the boat purchase experience and I found that this is what I had to go through. The width, length and weight all had a determining factor, and then the final decision was based on the builders.
Voodomedman has a good point, keep your options open and check out Ultra, great company and a very good boat, IMO.

Forkin' Crazy
10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Thank you!!! :D
Kim, LMAO.....
"Carboat" originally came from Barney (as far as I know) when he was jacking around with a drag boat message board. He really like to twist peoples screws.
Kinda like me! :rollside:

WILD LAVEY
10-27-2004, 07:27 PM
welcome to the boards, good luck with your shopping.

H20 Toie
10-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a Commander. I say buy a Shockwave

Debbolas
10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
I have a Kachina, I say buy a ........................Kachina ;)

BarryMac
10-27-2004, 07:49 PM
I have a Carrera, I say buy a boat and get out here...

charlyox
10-27-2004, 08:15 PM
ask boaters how they like their boats.You usually can't shut them up.Usually they will ask you if you want to go for a ride.

Kim Hanson
10-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Thank you!!! :D
Kim, LMAO.....
"Carboat" originally came from Barney (as far as I know) when he was jacking around with a drag boat message board. He really like to twist peoples screws.
Kinda like me! :rollside:
That is why Barney is cool, I don't agree with all...say it how you see it! Home Depot is making a killing I heard, they moved up to 6" shit pipes! :D .........( . )( . )........Jet boys will be slower than usuall :rolleyes: j/k not!

Kim Hanson
10-27-2004, 08:36 PM
ask boaters how they like their boats.You usually can't shut them up.Usually they will ask you if you want to go for a ride.
Thats true, people ask me for rides in mine! I like to take people over the 100 mark...........( . )( . )......... :cool:

Dirk Jones
10-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Thats true, people ask me for rides in mine! I like to take people over the 100 mark...........( . )( . )......... :cool:
KIMMY KIMMY KIMMY.. WAKE THE FUK UP! YOUR CLIPPER WOULDN'T 80 IF IT WAS THROWN FROM A PLANE. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING?

Kim Hanson
10-27-2004, 08:45 PM
KIMMY KIMMY KIMMY.. WAKE THE FUK UP! YOUR CLIPPER WOULDN'T 80 IF IT WAS THROWN FROM A PLANE. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING?
No Dick, but I'd like to tell you to go **** yourself and the horse you rode in on, but thinking
of that stupid grin on your face, I'd say you already have. :hammerhea ..........( . )( . )............

mbrown2
10-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Without telling you what to buy, try to find something with lower hours...100-200, deeper V hull to take good size lake chop....Also, try and find something with at least 454mag, 502mag, 496 or HP500 (all EFI)...personnally try and look for the biggest engine in the used market out there.....that is good resale...Look at the bilge after a test drive for any leaks...feel how hard the shifter shifts, ask if you can get the drive oil changed and check for metal flakes in the used oil to see how the drive is.....have a mechanic do a compression check....
Also, you will find a lot of used boats underpowered...that is because someone bought that boat off the showroom or at the boat show for the bargain price, but it was underpowered with a 350 or 5.7L...
Check all the stuff like Blower, Bilge, Lights, Trailer Lights, etc...
Look to make sure the interior is clean of rips and tears and that will tell you a little bit about how the former owner took care of it..Also, check to make sure the stereo and all components work...Check for the tightness of screws in back of the helm, screws that hold interior and panels...some cheap boats will start coming loose after a couple years...you don't want one of those boats..
Unless you are looking at 21 Schiada (way pricey), Howard 22 or the Lavey 21 Xtski, I would not look at anything less than 23-24 ft...also, look for something with higher freeboard; give everyone a safer feeling in the rough...

canuck1
10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Kimmy the only reason you take people for rides is so you have help to row

TOBTEK
10-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Id have to say, go into the Tunnel's section......theres a really nice DCB MACH22 forsale. and the guy's dealing on it ;)

Dirk Jones
10-27-2004, 09:06 PM
With boats like that you shouldn't be allowed to post...biatch
Who likes you by the way?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-27-2004, 09:13 PM
I have a Commander. I say buy a Shockwave
get a rope :lightsabe

canuck1
10-27-2004, 09:19 PM
dirt
Who the fu ck are you? are you always an ass? go back under your rock.

HOOTER SLED-
10-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the boards. GIve us your price range and some basics of what you want and where you'll boat, and you get some better answers on a type of boat to buy. :cool:

jbtrailerjim
10-28-2004, 05:12 AM
I have an Ultra and I'm very happy with it. You need to give a price range your trying to find one in. So, people can get a better idea of what kind of boat to recommend. Whatever you do, buy a boat with as much power as you can afford. Don't buy an under powered boat. IMO...any boat 23' or larger with a small block is under powered.
Oh, btw...Welcome to the boards. :cool:

BarryMac
10-28-2004, 05:25 AM
The Wacka Boys are on a roll I see.. Hey Hanson, if I want my margarita blended I will be sure and give you a hollar...

That Guy
10-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Welcome....I am partial to Advantage, but people tend to hang on to them and it is hard to find very many used ones for sale....so...take your time, have fun and ask any other questions you might have... :crossx:

PHX ATC
10-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Welcome on.
Buy what you like, need, want, etc. I've been on Nordic, Shockwave, and Lavey and they all make good boats. There are others that are good too.
Wait for a boat show, climb on all of them with your family and see what fits.

redneckgirl
10-28-2004, 07:40 AM
Welcome:
Good Luck T.G.
I agree that the 24 will need a bigger engine... but our 21 Shockwave Step Skier with the 6.2, GPS'd 62 with 7 people and full gear!! We have only GPS it that one time... I would guess with less of a load it would get to 65+ GPS :D
Just my .02 cents take it for what you want.... :D :D
RNG

OGShocker
10-28-2004, 08:07 AM
There is a 23' Dana on the market. Owner wants to step in to a 30' when it comes out. I do not know all the details but the boat is VERY clean! Call Tom @ Dana Boats, 909-399-4044 for the details. Ask about Blaine's boat.
:clover: Good luck! :clover:
PS. Welcome to the JUNGLE :crossx:

riverrunner
10-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Some questions for you.
How much are you looking to spend?
Where do you plan on boating?
Are you looking for a jet or stern drive?
This may help in getting more answers.

lets get wet
10-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Today I went and looked at a 21 foot laveycraft, it appeared to be a nice boat. It is powered by the 6.2. Is that decent power for that size boat.

mbrown2
10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Today I went and looked at a 21 foot laveycraft, it appeared to be a nice boat. It is powered by the 6.2. Is that decent power for that size boat.
Maybe with you a quarter tank of gas....look at the 496 or bigger...you will think me later...after you load up the boat, fuel and ice chests you don't want to have to do 5K RPMS all day eating fuel just to run around at 45mph...

Kim Hanson
10-30-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't have the time to post all the names up, but Dick go take along suck on Ob eddie. He sucks as much as you do!.......( . )( . )....... :notam:

Kim Hanson
10-31-2004, 06:11 PM
The Wacka Boys are on a roll I see.. Hey Hanson, if I want my margarita blended I will be sure and give you a hollar...
You won't have nothing left to drink, so..use you jet, slow and steady :D .........( . )( . )..... :D