PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in San Diego North County have..

ROZ
10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
a set of snow chains that will fit a 275/ 75/ 16 (SUV street tire)I can borrow over the weekend?Going to Reno tomorrow morning... :hammerhea
I have 4wd, but need to carry the chains as well..

core attitude
10-28-2004, 09:07 AM
I might......they are in my storage in the OC. I will check and bring then home if they'll work.
Pete

core attitude
10-28-2004, 03:55 PM
They fit 12-15LT to 12-16.5LT............let me know if you need them.
Pete
951-834-5500

BarryMac
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
a set of snow chains that will fit a 275/ 75/ 16 (SUV street tire)I can borrow over the weekend?Going to Reno tomorrow morning... :hammerhea
I have 4wd, but need to carry the chains as well..
Roz, I've got a pair you can use, call me on my cell, I will hook you up...

Mandelon
10-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I have a set too, for 31 x 10.5's and near sizes. Never used em, but I got em. Lemme know!

GlastronGuy
10-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Chris,
You won't need the chains. If you did, I'd be up there in Truckee.
EDIT
BTW, if chains are required on a 4X4 it's called an R-3 condition. I haven't seen them run an R-3 in years. They just shut the road.
Of course, make sure the tires are M&S and in good condition.

Mandelon
10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
CHP will check to make sure you are carrying the chains, even with 4x4 and M+S tires. They can and will turn you back if you don't have them. I have had this set for years unopened. And I have been turned back for not carrying a set. :messedup:

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 09:03 AM
CHP will check to make sure you are carrying the chains, even with 4x4 and M+S tires. They can and will turn you back if you don't have them. I have had this set for years unopened. And I have been turned back for not carrying a set. :messedup:
CHP will not check for chains. There is no law that says you have to carry them, it is only advisable. But, if you are in a big rig and get stopped at the truck screen in Applegate without chains, Caltrans will turn you back.
If you got turned back it was because it was R-3 or the CHP didn't like you.

Lightning
12-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Now I need a set of chains.... Barry or Richard, still have a set available?

Her454
12-24-2004, 10:58 AM
CHP will not check for chains. There is no law that says you have to carry them, it is only advisable. But, if you are in a big rig and get stopped at the truck screen in Applegate without chains, Caltrans will turn you back.
If you got turned back it was because it was R-3 or the CHP didn't like you.
Chris is correct. I've gone over the passes for years now with just offroad tires and have never been stopped for chains. Just checked with a co-workers husband who is CHP and he said they do not "stop" for that specific reason unless the vehicle is not "equipped" for snow in hazardous conditions, ie: snow/offroad tires.

Kindsvater Flat
12-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Roz....
When you come up can you fix my tv?

BarryMac
12-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Now I need a set of chains.... Barry or Richard, still have a set available?
Ari, I have a set you can use, not sure they will fit on your lifted truck, what size tires do you have???
Call me I will PM you my cell...

77charger
12-24-2004, 01:53 PM
here in so cal if it is snowing you will need chains and 4wd will have to carry them or they will turn you back down the mountain.It has something to do with people around here dont know how to drive when it gets wet snow makes it worse :D :D :D My brother has been to tahoe and drove out there without chains wasnt a big deal there and relatives there say they hardly have to use chains just m+s tires and you are ok

Mandelon
12-24-2004, 09:06 PM
I have a set for 31 x 10.5's for my old Trooper, will they fit? Anytime you need em.

Performance 19
12-24-2004, 09:17 PM
They will turn you back from the LOCAL mountains, Big Bear, etc. My wife lived in Tahoe and went to school in Reno, was never stopped or turned back for no chains. 395 should be clear all the way up anyway. Jim
By the way, some years ago we were down from Colorado, had 4WD and STUDDED snow tires, we were still turned away from Big Bear. No chains, and what we had was better.

Morg
12-24-2004, 09:40 PM
I have heard that cali requires chains be carried in all vehicles?????
You won't need them. The storm coming in is going to not do much & it is warm.
& like said above if it gets that bad, the amount of Cali suv's spun out & or flipped on their lid will close the roads.
You would not beleive the amount of accidents that happen over hwy 80. For some reason people think 4wd means you can still go the speed limit on snow & ice.
Drive safe.
Merry Christmas