PDA

View Full Version : drag boat racing

MellowYelloW
07-16-2001, 05:53 PM
hey guys...i just got done reading all that B.S. in the race boat forum. any way i live in southern cali and i was wondering what it takes to get into drag boat racing. is there a recreation class for beginners? dont know if i want to get fully into it but i would like to try it. Also i may have a chance to get a aluminum river boat, everything but motor. 19' good shape. anyone have any opinions on that?
thanks.
Please dont make this a trash forum.
Brian

Jetmugg
07-16-2001, 06:13 PM
No B.S. - I like the aluminum riverboats. They are actually somewhat popular as fishing boats in my home state of Missouri. People use them to run in shallow rivers and get to fish that prop boats cannot get to. Most of them are fairly mild in the engine department, but there is nothing to keep them from being built as strong as someone's wallet will allow.
Steve M.

Robbie Racer
07-16-2001, 06:23 PM
Hey Mello, you are in luck being from So. Calif and wanting to try drag boat racing. The IHBA has a race coming up at Castaic on Sept. 28-30th. They have a river racer class where you can dial in the handicap of what ever your boat runs so you can be competitive. Also the NJBA has a couple more drag races in Bakersfield at Lake Ming on Sept. 22nd-23rd and again on Oct. 19-21st. They have a one time entry level deal for river racers for $50 or $60. Hope to see you there.

timitunnel
07-16-2001, 06:24 PM
If you realy want to know what is ment by "balls bigger than brains" go for the river boat! I have a tunnel lake boat and enjoy it but the river thing is adictive and real hairy. Went for a ride once. What ever you do have fun be safe and enjoy the ride.

MellowYelloW
07-16-2001, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys. robbie i think i will check out that thing at caistiac. sounds like fun. what type of safety gear is required? also about the river thing i think i am going to Grants Pass OR. next year for the rougue river boat races.. my cousin lives there and has been on me for a while to build one.
thanks again
Brian

mister460
07-17-2001, 09:01 AM
Check out the aluminium river race boat on www.gas-turbines.com (http://www.gas-turbines.com) It's pretty sweet. I guess they can handle a lot of power! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

MellowYelloW
07-19-2001, 05:33 PM
does any one know the safety requirments?
thanks..also any opinions on the mallory unilite??

Dimarco Kid
07-19-2001, 05:39 PM
I hate Mallories! To be honest, my intake wasn't exactly lined up with the dist. hole in my block. It put pressure sideways on the dist. and would chew them up. 7 Unilites later, I bought a MSD. I didn't find out what was happening untill I decked my heads and noticed the dist hole. Fixed it, and still running the same MSD with NO problems. Granted, the hole was off, but the MSD STILL never broke with two years of use like that. Had it checked, it was a good as new. Proof for me.
Dimarco Kid

Oldsquirt
07-19-2001, 05:41 PM
My old Tahiti has a Unilite in it. It was there when I bought it in 84 and has never skipped a beat.

MellowYelloW
07-19-2001, 05:43 PM
i too would like to run a msd...but the unilite was a gift, my uncle ran it in his land cruiser and when he sold it (the cruiser) the guy had his own ignition, so my uncle gave me the unilite..what do the three wires hook up to...i am currently runing a pos points dist. so i guess any thing is better than that.
thanks DK.
brian
also are you a aol user..if so IM me at volcomsnowman

Dimarco Kid
07-19-2001, 06:09 PM
Here goes,
Red wire: connect to 12 volt side of ballast resistor (which I would get and use)
Green: easy, - coil
Brown: Ground
By the way, I shouldn't dish on Mal's. My own fault for the breakage. Just left a bad taste in my mouth, know what I mean? No, I'm not AOL, you can e-mail me if you want, I think it's here under my profile. If not, I'll give it to you. Also, go to Mr Gasket.com, click on Mallory, and you can download a complete instruction sheet. That might help.
Dimarco Kid

Boater Bill
07-20-2001, 09:07 AM
Mellow, the Unilite should be fine, especially since it is free. If you are running a Chevy you need the ballast resistor. Did you get the mating harness also? If not you'll need to rig something up or buy one. Suggest you upgrade your coil also. If your running a stock or mildly warmed over motor running it without a spark box will be ok. Adding a spark box does make a difference though, just depends on your application. Most don't like the unit 'cause it steps down the voltage to the coil (ballast resistor). Putting a spark box on allows a full 12V to the coil and Mallory supplies a "plug" that allows you to bypass the spark box and limp back if box goes bad. Take Dimarco's advice and check out the web pages. Also, ALWAYS disconnect the dist from power when doing anything electrical, that includes charging the battery or even just removing a batt cable. Unlites are sensitive to electrical spikes and you'll blow the module in a heart beat.

superdave013
07-20-2001, 09:25 AM
MellowYelloW,
The NJBA would be a great place for you to race your boat. Better than IHBA IMOP. Entry fees are less and it's more laid back. Lake Ming is just outside of Bakersfield and is one of the best spots for racing. As far as safty gear, you will need a kill switch that is hooked to you, a Snell approved helmet, A lifeline type of jacket with a current cert. (find someone to lone you one), long pants & lace up shoes. You will also need a rope deflector on you engine to keep the holding rope from snagging it. A return spring on the carb (you have that anyway right). They like to see a zip tie around the throttle cable clamp too. That's about it for a typ. river boat. It's a lot of fun and you will find out what your boat runs and can make adjustments to go faster. Meet some good people and learn some new tricks about your boat. As you can tell I miss racing at the NJBA.

MellowYelloW
07-20-2001, 04:25 PM
Okay...what if i need a jump start or something...are they really that sensitive?
is the MSD the same way..i currently have a ballast resistor with my stock points dist. but when i disconect it, nothing changes..why is that?
thanks
brian....oh yeah super dave..thanks for all the safety info!!!

Oldsquirt
07-20-2001, 04:45 PM
Brian, I have abused the heck out of my Unilite and it has never given any trouble at all. Jump starts, battery charges, all of it. Everything but beat it with a hammer!
With your points distributor, removing or bypassing the ballast resistor won't have any noticeable effect at first. You will, however, shorten the life of your points. Make sure you use the ballast recommended by Mallory, it will have a different resistance than the one you already have.
Craig

Jungle Boy
08-02-2001, 07:10 PM
Buy the aluminum boat and power it up. Get out on the rivers and enjoy the views that only a few can see. I've been river boating for years and it great. What kind of boat is it that you are looking at? Jetboat racing (river) is kind of expensive to get into, depending the class you get into. Check out www.jetboatracing.com (http://www.jetboatracing.com) for some contacts and cool pictures.