PDA

View Full Version : dragboats a good place

kojac
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Ok,
Now a few boating buddies and I were sitting around drinking the other night after a day on the lake and wondering if there would be enough interest in finding a spot where boaters could go on a regular weekly basis on weekends and or evenings to dragrace our boats similair to drag ways for the automobiles.
We came up with some of the following requirements:
Area where the state,county,and local laws would not prohibit boat drag racing.
Preferably a warmer place so the racing season could be extended.
Sufficient water to drag race and shutdown area for safety.
Place where there no interference with other boats fishing, skiing, etc.
accomadations close by for sleeping.
concessions, insurance, ability to supply fuel,bathrooms for the public,parking.
The area must be in a place that will not infringe on public due to noise and traffic.
an area for the racers to warm up their boat prior to racing so as to minimize damage to equipment and to work out the minor problems.
We had in mind that the events should be built for the racers rather then sponsers.
We didn't like the idea of the racers having to sit for long periods of time in their boats while sponsers sold beer.
Area should have a good entry and exit for the race boats similiar to firebird.
timing lights.
people to manage property and equipment.
We are not thinking this would infringe on the established dragboat associations but would be a more informal form of racing that could be fun and available more often than the bracket racing that is currently held at events across the country. Probably be used by many bracket racers to improve their racing.
Figured that a lot of guys that are intimidated by the current situations don't race but they might come out in droves if comfortable race conditions prevailed and this would eventually increase the number of racers in the brackets when more people felt comfortable in race surroundings.
Do you think this is feasable. Any suggestions? Anyone know of such a place?
Kojac

superdave013
10-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Yup,
Lake Ming
I don't think the beer vendor is the hold up getting boats in and out of the water though.
Good luck and keep everyone informed on how it's going in your area. More dragboat racing is nothing but a good thing! :D

kojac
10-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Yup,
Lake Ming
I don't think the beer vendor is the hold up getting boats in and out of the water though.
Good luck and keep everyone informed on how it's going in your area. More dragboat racing is nothing but a good thing! :D
Superdave013,
Lake Ming, Haven't been there. Does it have all of the requirements?
Kojac

hack job
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Superdave013,
Lake Ming, Haven't been there. Does it have all of the requirements?
Kojac
lake ming is were the njba drags are held. well most of them any way ;)

LakesOnly
10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Ok,
Now a few boating buddies and I were sitting around drinking the other night after a day on the lake and wondering if there would be enough interest in finding a spot where boaters could go on a regular weekly basis on weekends and or evenings to dragrace our boats similair to drag ways for the automobiles.
We came up with some of the following requirements:
Area where the state,county,and local laws would not prohibit boat drag racing.
Preferably a warmer place so the racing season could be extended.
Sufficient water to drag race and shutdown area for safety.
Place where there no interference with other boats fishing, skiing, etc.
accomadations close by for sleeping.
concessions, insurance, ability to supply fuel,bathrooms for the public,parking.
The area must be in a place that will not infringe on public due to noise and traffic.
an area for the racers to warm up their boat prior to racing so as to minimize damage to equipment and to work out the minor problems.
We had in mind that the events should be built for the racers rather then sponsers.
We didn't like the idea of the racers having to sit for long periods of time in their boats while sponsers sold beer.
Area should have a good entry and exit for the race boats similiar to firebird.
timing lights.
people to manage property and equipment.
We are not thinking this would infringe on the established dragboat associations but would be a more informal form of racing that could be fun and available more often than the bracket racing that is currently held at events across the country. Probably be used by many bracket racers to improve their racing.
Figured that a lot of guys that are intimidated by the current situations don't race but they might come out in droves if comfortable race conditions prevailed and this would eventually increase the number of racers in the brackets when more people felt comfortable in race surroundings.
Do you think this is feasable. Any suggestions? Anyone know of such a place?
Kojac
Sounds like a typical ***boat get-together to me....but with a little more focus on side-by-side racing, maybe.
That being the case, don't forget rescue boats, salvage boats, frogmen, proper water depth (for rescue purposes), etc. Otherwise, you're just looking for trouble....lethal and legal.
Oh....no...wait a minute: There already is a place just like you describe! It's called Camp Far West. The outlaw lake where anything goes. From jet boat to capsule hydro; just bring it down, put it in the water and mash the pedal to the floor. :D
:D :D :D Camp Far West Lake :D :D :D
You gotta love it....
LO

Squirtcha?
10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
A buddy of mine and I were just discussing this the other day. When I win the lottery (or pigs fly.......whichever comes first) I'm going to buy a piece of property large enough to have it's own mile long, two lane lake/drag. Everybody will be welcome naturally, and admission will be FREE!
Stay tuned for updates.............
Was that................
I think it was...........
I think I just saw a pig fly by!
P.S. BYOB

moneysucker
10-28-2004, 04:29 PM
A buddy of mine and I were just discussing this the other day. When I win the lottery (or pigs fly.......whichever comes first) I'm going to buy a piece of property large enough to have it's own mile long, two lane lake/drag. Everybody will be welcome naturally, and admission will be FREE!
Stay tuned for updates.............
Was that................
I think it was...........
I think I just saw a pig fly by!
P.S. BYOB
BYOB!!! You cheap bastard! You won the lotto. You should instal a micro brewery too.
The reason these race organizations are intimidating is that they are focused on safety, mainly because they started out laid back but injuries and deaths have led to where we are now.

Squirtcha?
10-28-2004, 04:54 PM
BYOB!!! You cheap bastard! You won the lotto. You should instal a micro brewery too.
Huh? Of course the beerzezezz are free. It's
B ring
Y our
O wn
B abes
Sheesh some people.:boxed:

LUVNLIFE
10-28-2004, 05:38 PM
The reason these race organizations are intimidating is that they are focused on safety, mainly because they started out laid back but injuries and deaths have led to where we are now.
AHHHH Yep. :D

Squirtin Thunder
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Kojac,
There will be racing at Lake Ming in Nov. Also Lifeline will be out there Renting equiptment for those that don't have it. As long as you can pass tech you can run in the River Racer class. And that is exactly what you really want right ??? Just to run ???
Jim

kojac
10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Kojac,
There will be racing at Lake Ming in Nov. Also Lifeline will be out there Renting equiptment for those that don't have it. As long as you can pass tech you can run in the River Racer class. And that is exactly what you really want right ??? Just to run ???
Jim
Yeah Jim
, We race in front of my place at lake Anna Va. when ever someone shows up with a hot boat. But it's gotten too busy to race much anymore.
I'd like to do it every weekend without interference. I like the idea of running straight up and if there is a minor glitch in someone's equipment maybe getting another chance to see which boat is really faster. Hate to drive 1000 miles just to sit on the rope for an hour and have a coil go out or an MSD box or some other stupid thing. Then not get to try your stuff.
Put the boat back on the trailer and go home.
At least back on the lake if a fluke happens like someone's pop off valve going off during a run we can do it again. Without too much drama.
I know that the brackets are supposed to make the boats close in relationship but when I see a guy in the 9 second class sit on the rope for over an hour and he has his boat dialed in for 95 degree 78% wet bulb day and it starts to rain and cools the temp to 78 degrees he pulls an 8. something second and is disqualified its kind of dissatisfying. Also racers run their boats up to 125mph and pull off at the end and go through the traps at 110 or less so they don't break out.
We were thinking of something a little more relaxed and forgiving so the guys could come back later in the day an do a run again or maybe next weekend.
Not doing it for the points thing. but maybe better able to dial in the boat and see if the changes made in the set up really helped.
Last year at Augusta I talked to a racer from Texas that changed his impellar and also put on a straight shorty snoop he got from Duane between races. He didn't know for sure whether it would do him any good until he went through the next competition.
He Lost his MSD connection during the race and wouldn't have a chance to find out if his changes would work until the next scheduled race at Marble falls.
I agree on the rescue team, diver, and other safety devices. Always safety first.
Haven't got all the things that would appeal to most racers sorted out yet but being able to race as much as we wanted to and have fun would be the primary objective.
Kojac

Bailey
10-28-2004, 07:30 PM
I like no lights, no times, just line up next to someone you think you can beat and if you loose find someone slower.

steelcomp
10-28-2004, 08:15 PM
That being the case, don't forget rescue boats, salvage boats, frogmen, proper water depth (for rescue purposes), etc. Otherwise, you're just looking for trouble....lethal and legal.
But you have all this at CFW, right?

Squirtin Thunder
10-28-2004, 08:24 PM
But you have all this at CFW, right?
Steelcomp,
Actually sometimes there is a actual rescue boat and the Sherif is there most of the time somewhere on the property. And Marysville has a great rescue team and helocopter. The sheriff also have there boats and an ambulance is on the property too.
Jim

sanger mike
10-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Steelcomp,
Actually sometimes there is a actual rescue boat and the Sherif is there most of the time somewhere on the property. And Marysville has a great rescue team and helocopter. The sheriff also have there boats and an ambulance is on the property too.
Jim
more like the sherif is there to check the marysville jet ski ass wipes for hot parts at the front gate. :D

Squirtin Thunder
10-28-2004, 10:25 PM
I may have spoken out of turn on this it has been quite a few years that I have been there.
One of the last times I was there a guy in a Black day cruiser ran over a Black T-deck flat and three people were hurt and they were taken care of almost instantly.
Jim

Dog
10-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Kojac
you could model something off of what these guys do.
Weekly races (http://www.blarneyisland.com/)

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
10-29-2004, 04:15 AM
I thought BYOB was Bring Your Own Boat :rollside: :yuk: :notam: Budlight

kojac
10-29-2004, 04:20 AM
Kojac
you could model something off of what these guys do.
Weekly races (http://www.blarneyisland.com/)
Thanks Dog,
Sounds kinda like what I had in mind. Going to check it out further. Then see what I can come up with..

kojac
10-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Sounds like a typical ***boat get-together to me....but with a little more focus on side-by-side racing, maybe.
Oh....no...wait a minute: There already is a place just like you describe! It's called Camp Far West. The outlaw lake where anything goes. From jet boat to capsule hydro; just bring it down, put it in the water and mash the pedal to the floor.
Camp Far West Lake
Lakes Only,
Where is Camp Far West lake? Sounds like my kind of place.
Kojac

superdave013
10-29-2004, 05:16 AM
CAmp Far would be a long drive for you. But just so you can check it out here it is from K Flat's view.
CFW right click and save as please (http://www.schoutenranch.com/video/cfwlong.wmv)

kojac
10-29-2004, 05:30 AM
CAmp Far would be a long drive for you. But just so you can check it out here it is from K Flat's view.
CFW right click and save as please (http://www.schoutenranch.com/video/cfwlong.wmv)
Thanks superdave,
Looks like a great time. Is this an every week kinda thing?
If so It may not be so far after all.
Kojac

Jeanyus
10-29-2004, 07:50 AM
CFW is a fun place, but speed runs are not that safe. There are a lot of kids on jet ski's, the water is rough from all the boat wakes. And yes there are drunk people in fast boats. I witnessed a few near misses, and 1 weekend a guy was taken out in a Medevac chopper.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859campfarwest.jpg
I prefer Lake Ming. When I made a change to my boat, I was able to tell exactly what the results were.
There was a lot of people out there with good advice. It's not that intimidating, If I got confused or didn't know what to do, I just asked someone, everyone was friendly and helpful. I was racing River Racer, not bracket racing.In River Racer, it's run what you brung, you can ask the guy at the in ramp to line you up with a certian boat and he will try to do it.
I can sum up lake ming by saying I spent 2 1/2 day grinning from ear to ear.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859ronanddj-thumb.jpg
These are RR my boat in the middle (13 sec) Steelcomps on the far end (11 sec) And DJD's closesest (10 sec) I think? DJ is now a submarine racer.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/58593tunnels-thumb.jpg
I will be back to lake ming in the spring, and fall next year, maybe I can break into the 12's. :) :) Come out and give it a try. I need some slower boats out there, for a little competition.

Squirtcha?
10-29-2004, 08:07 AM
What was you max speed on a 12 second pass? Just curious.

djdtpr
10-29-2004, 08:42 AM
These are RR my boat in the middle (13 sec) Steelcomps on the far end (11 sec) And DJD's closesest (10 sec) I think? DJ is now a submarine racer.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/58593tunnels-thumb.jpg
It went 9.50's before i took up submarine racing.I will be back next year with some new and better stuff it will run in the low 9's in the heat of the day next time.It truley is a blast and everyone out there are there for the same reason to have a good time and enjoy racing there boats.How far is CFW from the Palm Springs area?

kojac
10-29-2004, 09:05 AM
I will be back to lake ming in the spring, and fall next year, maybe I can break into the 12's. Come out and give it a try. I need some slower boats out there, for a little competition.______________________________________ ________
Jeanyus, Thanks for the update.
I definitely would like to give Ming a try. I need the adrenaline fix.
[QUOTE=Jeanyus]CFW is a fun place, but speed runs are not that safe. There are a lot of kids on jet ski's, the water is rough from all the boat wakes. And yes there are drunk people in fast boats. I witnessed a few near misses, and 1 weekend a guy was taken out in a Medevac chopper._____________
From the vidieo CFW looked like a good time. I hear you on the safety part. I lost a few good boating buddies due to the drinking.
I still like to drink but after I put the boat on the trailer and know I don't have to drive anywhere. Then it's party time.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859campfarwest.jpg
I prefer Lake Ming. When I made a change to my boat, I was able to tell exactly what the results were.
There was a lot of people out there with good advice. It's not that intimidating, If I got confused or didn't know what to do, I just asked someone, everyone was friendly and helpful. I was racing River Racer, not bracket racing.In River Racer, it's run what you brung, you can ask the guy at the in ramp to line you up with a certian boat and he will try to do it.
I can sum up lake ming by saying I spent 2 1/2 day grinning from ear to ear.______________
Could you test and tune prior to racing. Is that how you could make changes and get results?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859ronanddj-thumb.jpg
NICE looking boats.
kojac

kojac
10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
It went 9.50's before i took up submarine racing.I will be back next year with some new and better stuff it will run in the low 9's in the heat of the day next time.It truley is a blast and everyone out there are there for the same reason to have a good time and enjoy racing there boats.How far is CFW from the Palm Springs area?
Anybody got directions? I know how to get to california. After that I'm lost.
Kojac

Jeanyus
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
What was you max speed on a 12 second pass? Just curious
My best time was 13.22 @ 78 MPH.
The dont allow test and tune runs. I had only run the boat 1 other time, so the 4 runs that I made were test and tune. I just got the boat to start good and Idle. People out at the lake would watch me run and, check the boats attitude, they told me what to change, each change that I made was an improvement, for a total gain of .43 ET and 9 mph gain(69.8 GPS at CFW).
River Racer results http://www.njbaracing.net/results/2004/09/rr.php
CFW is about a 1 hour drive form Sacramento.
Squritia, your boat puts up some respectable numbers, and you live closer to Ming than me, I'm thinking you need to make a trip to ming. More peer pressure.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859ronandjim.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859scottandbrant-thumb.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/585985bahner-thumb.jpg
I brought a piece of carpet, I figured I would be spending a lot of time under my boat.
Way too much fun!

Blown 472
10-29-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.blarneyisland.com/thursdayboatraces.html
This is what we have around here.

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 02:26 PM
What was you max speed on a 12 second pass? Just curious.
Dan,
I will let steelcomp give you the exact numbers, but he was running consistly in the 11s with a best speed of 92mph and some change.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Hmm I noticed tunnel plates on your boat and the one next to it? My Baker has them as well tho it seems alot of tunnels I see dont?
DBs,
Almost all the tunnels out at Ming had tunnel plates.
Jim
BTW - Are you going to make it to Ming in Nov. ????

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Dont know as yet, used to all the time, then whatever- I stopped going. Maybe its time again.
Denis
But you have to bring the boat !!!!
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 02:58 PM
You just want a shot at stoping my HEARTBEAT- see how you are...
I have no idea how fast you are, but I will tell you I will be happy if I can run 80+mph. I met my last goal the boat floats. Now for 80+mph. See baby steps.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 03:31 PM
DragBoats,
I keep hearing that the Sanger Custom Sprint Jet is not a fast boat, I would be lucky to get into the 80s. I was told by a big time boat guy that the boat won't run over 70mph. I did prove that one wrong with a '77 stock Berk pump, 74@5200rpms. I have made some big power changes and installed a MPD worked "B-" impeller, a short droop, a MPD loader, and smoothed the inside of the pump. So I am actually hoping for high 80s, but would like to see 92 - 95mph. All I really want to do is make it run better than people say it can. I just love doing that.
Jim

Blown 472
10-29-2004, 03:42 PM
ILLIfreakinNOIS is that where your from???? I thought you was from the G Spot - Dude you let me down :frown: oops tha "g" spot sorry
Hmmm Grass Lake? Is that true a Grass lake?
I did not see Assclown Troll in the point standings?
Just messin with ya dude...
No, that is south of where I live.
I dont have a fast boat, it makes just enough hp to haul my fat ass around.

Jeanyus
10-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Hmm I noticed tunnel plates on your boat and the one next to it? My Baker has them as well tho it seems alot of tunnels I see dont?
All of the modified v-tunnel hulls tht I have seen, that have a center pod, had the tunnel plates. I wanted to put mine together without the plates, but was advised against that idea.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859stern.jpg
Here's what my boat looked like when I bought it. The tunnel plates were surfaced mounted and the bolts leaked.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859oldbahner.JPG
Here's what it looks like now.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859finished-thumb.jpg
Hey blown, sorry about having to live in Illinois, J/K. If only you would vote for Bush, then Illinois would not be a swing state. Post a pic of your boat maybee, we could find something to agree on.

steelcomp
10-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Dan,
I will let steelcomp give you the exact numbers, but he was running consistly in the 11s with a best speed of 92mph and some change.
Jim
Someone call me?
Hmm. Lets see. I ran a best of 11.39 at 91.38. My 92.13 mph run was an 11.51. These arent real good et's for the speed...mind you I have a full interior, was running everything just as is when I'm at the lake. If I srtipped it out like some of the others did, it might have run an 11 flat or so. Still not all that great. For example...Tom Bandy's v bottom Hallet runs only a couple mph faster, but runs in the tens. 12 sec et's can be in the 80 mph range. I ran one bad run (timing was off) that was 12.23 at 85.63.
Last year I ran low 12's in the mid 80's. Getting a good start has a big impact on your et. You waste a lot of time if your boat dosen't take a good set right off...waiting for it to setle down so you can mash it. That part is practice, practice, practice. CS, DJ and Cyclone all seem to have a good handle on the start. If you don't have a neutral, you might as well close your eyes and fake it.
Weekend grin, though. Non stop! I reccomend it to all my patients!
steel

Jake W2
10-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Dragboats do you have any more pics of your Baker it has a very diffrent looking transom.
Jake

Jeanyus
10-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Thats all true, tho it 's an awesome lake to test and tune for locals. And there are many times that nobody is on that lake. I feel lucky to have it so close to my house.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2035batspeed_1_.jpg
DB your Baker rides real good. I hope to get mine to ride like that. How many HP are you runing.
Are you going to CFW on New Years Day? I plan on going.

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Ron,
It does ride like that !!!
At least at Ming it did !!!
Jim

tahitijet
10-29-2004, 08:26 PM
never mind i read further into the post

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Jeanyus,
Lets see your new line lock !!!!
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Ron,
Have you used that carpet yet ???
I brought a piece of carpet, I figured I would be spending a lot of time under my boat.
Way too much fun!
Jim

Jeanyus
10-30-2004, 05:49 AM
Jeanyus,
Lets see your new line lock !!!!
Jim
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859placediverter-thumb.jpg

Squirtcha?
10-30-2004, 08:30 AM
What was you max speed on a 12 second pass? Just curious
My best time was 13.22 @ 78 MPH.
The dont allow test and tune runs. I had only run the boat 1 other time, so the 4 runs that I made were test and tune. I just got the boat to start good and Idle. People out at the lake would watch me run and, check the boats attitude, they told me what to change, each change that I made was an improvement, for a total gain of .43 ET and 9 mph gain(69.8 GPS at CFW).
River Racer results
Squirtcha, your boat puts up some respectable numbers, and you live closer to Ming than me, I'm thinking you need to make a trip to ming. More peer pressure.
Funny you should say that. I was thinking you and I would be pretty close. I'm pulling mine apart here shortly. Right now it couldn't pass tech for a number of reasons. When I put it back together I'm going to be addressing those areas, so it can pass though.
I'm seriously considering racing at least a few times next season. My problem is one of dependency. I'll get hooked and find myself on the road once a month after the first go round.
Thanks, I appreciate the peer pressure. Historically I've always buckled to it........hopefully history will repeat itself.

Squirtin Thunder
10-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Funny you should say that. I was thinking you and I would be pretty close. I'm pulling mine apart here shortly. Right now it couldn't pass tech for a number of reasons. When I put it back together I'm going to be addressing those areas, so it can pass though.
I'm seriously considering racing at least a few times next season. My problem is one of dependency. I'll get hooked and find myself on the road once a month after the first go round.
Thanks, I appreciate the peer pressure. Historically I've always buckled to it........hopefully history will repeat itself.
COOL !!!!
Dan, it is always good to have more Fords run out there. In a sport dominated by the "Bow Tie Bergade". The bad thing is we will be spending alot of time in our trucks towing. I have been looking for a truck camper that is self contained to make it easier and cut hotel cost. Peer Presure is a good thing.
Jim :D