PDA

View Full Version : Best Marine Subs

hallett 260
10-28-2004, 03:21 PM
It is now time to work on the stereo for the deck boat. Currently there are 4 cut outs for 6x9's under the bench seats. I am thinking of keeping all the 6x9's and adding 2 10" subs, one in front and one in back. Since they will be exposed to the elements, what are some recommendations for 10" subs. I was looking at the Rockford m110s since it has unlimited baffle.
Z

Mr. Naudio
10-28-2004, 04:54 PM
It is now time to work on the stereo for the deck boat. Currently there are 4 cut outs for 6x9's under the bench seats. I am thinking of keeping all the 6x9's and adding 2 10" subs, one in front and one in back. Since they will be exposed to the elements, what are some recommendations for 10" subs. I was looking at the Rockford m110s since it has unlimited baffle.
Z
As long as the sub you choose has a rubber surround and non paper cone
you should be good.
If you want the big boom its all about the enclosure.
If you are not looking to be a boomer just need a sub to produce the lower frequencies. Or do not want to give up the space,Then I would look for one with good free air response.

riverbound
10-28-2004, 09:34 PM
To be honest with you, I have not heard a "marine" woofer that sounds good, especially for the money you spend. Like naudio said, its all about the enclosure.
Make sure to buy a woofer that has a rubber surround and a poly cone and you wont have to worry about it.

hallett 260
10-29-2004, 08:43 AM
I am not looking to shake the boat apart. I just want some low end. What do you recommend for 10" . I plan on running about 400watts rms. to them.
Thanks,
Z

Evo22
10-29-2004, 05:30 PM
my personal opinion here is I would use an Image dynamic 10 they zinc plate the basket before they powder coat it its a poly cone with a rubber surround they sound awsome and are very efiecient and take a ton of power PM if you want to know more about them

beyondhelpin
10-29-2004, 10:09 PM
You can never go wrong with JL Audio in my opinion.
I agree with the other guys here forget the marine label it is not necessary. If you are talking about a sub that does not need an enclosure (infinite baffle) I have not heard anything impressive about them especially if you want to hit some low notes.

riverbound
10-30-2004, 07:35 AM
JL woofers do not have a rubber surround, but its never stopped me from using them. I am running them in my boat right now. If you are looking for a woofer that is going to give you decent output with little power I would recommend looking at the Rockford or JL woofers (downside being they have foam surrounds) Or the Eclipse woofers, they have poly cones, rubber surrounds and perform very well on little power. If you want more info you can call Robert at my shop (909)481-8411, tell him you are from ***boat and he will take care of you.

ROZ
11-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Other than the w0's JL woofers use a UV protected hybrid foam surround...
Because foam is still considered to be stiffer, JL hasn't moved away from using it. They were to introduce a new line using more of a rubber compound, but they have yet to be released...

CEO
11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Other than the w0's JL woofers use a UV protected hybrid foam surround...
Because foam is still considered to be stiffer, JL hasn't moved away from using it. They were to introduce a new line using more of a rubber compound, but they have yet to be released...
Don't get the ones I have, ROZ will give you 2nd place

mbrown2
11-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Don't get the ones I have, ROZ will give you 2nd place
Don't you have RF's? So do I and that did not stop me from getting 1st :rollside: :)

hallett 260
11-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I will be very limited on space behind the speaker. Hallett has drop in coolers under the seats that leave just enough depth for most subs. An enclosure would be tough.