PDA

View Full Version : HELP please... with home computer!

91nordic29
10-29-2004, 09:39 AM
i installed norton anti virus on my computer at home (aol dial up, i know!) and coincidence or not, i cant open ANY web pages. it is driving met nuts. any ideas on what may be going on? :idea:

91nordic29
10-29-2004, 09:53 AM
anyone????

91nordic29
10-29-2004, 10:31 AM
i cant even access prayer.com (teehee) at home. nada. i am at work (till noon) and so i thought i would see if anyone could help. i am not sure exactly what version (downloaded it for 29.95 and also sygate firewall?)

Tom Brown
10-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm not familiar with Sygate firewall but I would definitely look that in directon as the cause of your problem, not NAV.
Perhaps someone here will be familiar with Sygate and help you configure it properly. It's odd that the default configuration wouldn't work, though.

jdogginla
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM
If you bought or downloaded Norton within the last 3 weeks, there is a recall/warning that it was infected with a worm virus! :hammer2:

91nordic29
10-29-2004, 10:53 AM
are you serious???? i wonder if that is the problem? i will print all this info out and try it when i get home.
thanks everyone. it is really driving me nuts.

It's Only Money
10-29-2004, 10:55 AM
An easy way to check is to turn off the firewall temporarily. If access to the Internet is restored then it is a firewall issue. Forensic is right...usually each connection or application can be granted Internet access priviledges via the Firewall's configuration. Some firewalls have different levels of protection...i.e. High, medium, low and none. If your's does have the different levels you might try switching to none instead of shutting the firewall down completely.

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm not familiar with Sygate firewall but I would definitely look that in directon as the cause of your problem, not NAV.
Perhaps someone here will be familiar with Sygate and help you configure it properly. It's odd that the default configuration wouldn't work, though.
Bingo.

Tom Brown
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Bingo.
I'd like to change my position on this issue. :D
How's it going, GG? :cool:

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 11:09 AM
I'd like to change my position on this issue. :D
How's it going, GG? :cool:
LOL
It's all good, Tommy.
;)

jdogginla
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
are you serious???? i wonder if that is the problem? i will print all this info out and try it when i get home.
thanks everyone. it is really driving me nuts.
I was being sarcastic......... :p

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 11:16 AM
If you bought or downloaded Norton within the last 3 weeks, there is a recall/warning that it was infected with a worm virus! :hammer2:
Where did you hear this? Link?

Tom Brown
10-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Where did you hear this? Link?
I think he was being sarcastic.

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I think he was being sarcastic.
LOL
I type too slow.
And it wasn't sarcasm. It was a lie.
;)

Tom Brown
10-29-2004, 11:18 AM
GG, check your rep comments.

GlastronGuy
10-29-2004, 11:20 AM
GG, check your rep comments.
Oh, oh.
EDIT
Check yours. Notice the WE

GlastronGuy
10-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Did you fix it?

***boat
10-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Sygate and most "Internet Security" type of virus scanners will not play well together. I would recommend a couple of things. IMO Sygate is the hands down best software firewall on the market (within a reasonable price range). Norton 2004 sucks bad. It is a quick way to cut your computers performance in half. I use and would recommend the following combination.
1. Trendmicro Internet Security (needs some small modifications after install but will work with Sygate... * see below)
2. Sygate Personal Firewall (the free version)
3. A copy of AdAware (free, run it every couple of weeks)
4. Windows XP SP2
* As Trendmicro is a "Internet Security" virus scanner it will not play well with Sygate. The way you fix it to work with Sygate is as follows.
First install Trendmicro. Once installed go to the installation DIR (should be C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security). Find the file named PCCTool.exe and run it. Tab E will be uninstall. Click the button that says "Uninstall Firewall". Now install Sygate and you are good to go. Make sure you know how to use Sygate and give Internet Explorer, AOL, Trendmicro (all modules), Windows update and so on permissions to access the Internet.
If you want to stick with Norton try to turn off Norton's firewall.