PDA

View Full Version : New boat price discounts

tic2rde
10-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey everyone that has bought a new boat lately any input as to how much in general custom boat manufactures are discounting new boat prices. Such As an $80,000 list price will they go down 10% 12% etc???

CEO
10-29-2004, 02:31 PM
What kind of baot are you looking for?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone that has bought a new boat lately any input as to how much in general custom boat manufactures are discounting new boat prices. Such As an $80,000 list price will they go down 10% 12% etc???
OOO YEAH 10% DISCOUNT AFTER THEY RAISE THEM 30%

tic2rde
10-29-2004, 02:36 PM
What kind of baot are you looking for?
I'm interested in Shockwave

Tequila-John
10-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I know cobra just raised there prices

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-29-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm interested in Shockwave
MMMMM where can I start,

DryHeatOnly
10-29-2004, 02:52 PM
MMMMM where can I start,
You can't ;)
...but we sure can :D

NashvilleBound
10-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I know cobra just raised there prices
Say its not so. 20%....maybe 30. Rediculous.
Got a nice used Ultra fror you...and I just lowered the price to almost free! Actually you can have the boat for free but you have to buy the key(mandatory) :messedup: :D

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Some builders do not discount.

cc322
10-29-2004, 03:26 PM
That's funny ...you mentioned discount and custom boat's in the same sentence :wink:

NashvilleBound
10-29-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm tired, but I think I missed something...... :confused:

RUCAV
10-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I believe that in addition to just arbitrary raising of costs, Mercury also raises there price. Id go in there 3 or 4 times and have the salesman calling you back about options and test rides. Make it so he or she has invested so much time in you that the cant give up the sale. Even if your only looking at one boat, dont ever tell the salesman that. But dont tell them your looking at a bunch of boats. That might show your not even close to closing a deal. I did this and got what I thought was a good price for my boat.
Id suggest hitting up John West at Ultra. A good boat at a good price and he is a real straight shooter. Good luck!
Just my .02 cents.

FRENCHIE
10-29-2004, 04:19 PM
You can't ;)
...but we sure can :D
AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!! ILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS...DROP ME A P.M.!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

DryHeatOnly
10-29-2004, 04:24 PM
I believe that in addition to just arbitrary raising of costs, Mercury also raises there price. Id go in there 3 or 4 times and have the salesman calling you back about options and test rides. Make it so he or she has invested so much time in you that the cant give up the sale. Even if your only looking at one boat, dont ever tell the salesman that. But dont tell them your looking at a bunch of boats. That might show your not even close to closing a deal. I did this and got what I thought was a good price for my boat.
Id suggest hitting up John West at Ultra. A good boat at a good price and he is a real straight shooter. Good luck!
Just my .02 cents.
Good point regarding Merc.

FRENCHIE
10-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Good point regarding Merc.
......GOOD POINT CONCERNING ..."SHOCKWAVE"!!! ;) :hammer2: :hammer2:

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 04:53 PM
:confused: It seems like no matter how many times this question is asked on the boards it never ever ever gets a straight answer. everybody just cracks a joke or two and send me a pm or whatever. these builders RAISE prices EVERY year. I thought that maybe the boards could give a buyer an edge on where to start negotiating. But everyone is sworn to secrecy on how much they paid or how much below sticker they got there boat for. Whats up with that? Help a brotha out already. enough of this talk to so n so he's a straight shooter great guy stuff. did you pay sticker or not? If the builder didn't buge one dime what extras did you get? trailer upgrade? stereo? bimini? engine upgrade? which dealers will let a boat go below sticker and which ones won't? some of the peeps around here act like they signed a contract stating that they wont discuss how much they paid for a boat. or is everyone afraid that or embarrassed that they got ripped off when they bought? :confused: lets make this board work for our advantage people.

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 05:14 PM
:confused: It seems like no matter how many times this question is asked on the boards it never ever ever gets a straight answer. everybody just cracks a joke or two and send me a pm or whatever. these builders RAISE prices EVERY year. I thought that maybe the boards could give a buyer an edge on where to start negotiating. But everyone is sworn to secrecy on how much they paid or how much below sticker they got there boat for. Whats up with that? Help a brotha out already. enough of this talk to so n so he's a straight shooter great guy stuff. did you pay sticker or not? If the builder didn't buge one dime what extras did you get? trailer upgrade? stereo? bimini? engine upgrade? which dealers will let a boat go below sticker and which ones won't? some of the peeps around here act like they signed a contract stating that they wont discuss how much they paid for a boat. or is everyone afraid that or embarrassed that they got ripped off when they bought? :confused: lets make this board work for our advantage people.
I don't know about everybody else but I did tell the guys that I wouldn't go around saying how much I paid and I suspect the same thing for these guys. And this being the internet I would be telling the whole world. My word is my honor. I got a great price and great service and still get great service. I think probably the same thing with everybody else here as we all do our research, talk to and build relationships with our manufacturers and made sure we got a deal. RUCAV was right talk to John West or John D or Bob at the Corona Ultra dealership and tell them you are a member of ***boat and you will not pay list price. Hell even if I would have paid more than list for my boat it would still be a great deal. Less expensive than others and a bichen boat.

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 05:22 PM
You are right on both counts, But when a manufacture ask you to not tell the price and he did give you a smoking deal and you know this, Why would you violate your own word(UNLESS IT MEANS NOTHING) and breech the trust they have in you.
Second, yes you are right some people got BURNED on how much they paid.
A straight answer as I have heard from alot of people, is around 10% give or take in either direction.
Also in the winter time now and between the boat show, is the best time to have your CUSTOM built boat and get a big DISCOUNT.
Yes some builders do not discount as they are already as low as they can go or they are in the position, they do not have to wheel and deal, their product stands on their own....

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Thats fine and dandy if you are in the market for an Ultra. It doesn't make sense if you sell everything below sticker than why are you raising your price every year? name a price, be firm with it and if your product is good your boats will sell.

DryHeatOnly
10-29-2004, 05:26 PM
I respect my relationship with Barry at Shockwave. I'll let him do his job without interfering. I may (or may not) give you a private answer if I know you and know you're serious about buying a boat, but I wouldn't spout out numbers in public.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 05:31 PM
kilr thats about the best answer i've heard. 10% or any percent is a decent answer. now if we could only get a list of who dicounts and who sticks to thier guns we would really be on to something here. :D

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 05:44 PM
This is not exact, but high end builders usually do not discount as they do not have to. They prefer to build quailty over quantity. Three come to mind. Granted they may discount there extras but not there boats....
I will use this factual example. A C/D stereo with four basic 6X9's do not cost $895 that is more like $250
a 496HO upgrade from a 496 mag is not $6,900 it is more like $3,000
and that is where your discount comes from.....

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I understand about giving someone your word if you got a 20% or 30% discount on a boat. thats alot of money saved by the buyer or lost by the builder. I do not understand the code of silence over saving 5k on a 100K boat. I guess a better question for the boards would be how much profit is in a 100k boat vs. a 50k boat. is it possible for a boat to be 50% or close to it profit?

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 05:49 PM
I feel you kilr. so some peeps are really taking the shaft when they buy a boat. I wish someone would try to sell me 2 pair of 6x9's for $850. thats some funny shizzle.

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Again I am not a boat builder, But some of these molds are bought and paid for years ago and they are all profit. Now, they have insurance premiums, rent, salary and various other expendetures, so I am sure from builder to builder this will very. Good builders arent hurting for money....
and you are right 5% why keep a secret, that is probably what everyone gets.....

CEO
10-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Costom boats are very expensive. I paid about 15k more than the quoted price because I kept adding option after option and making it different that anyone elses. I have things done that they never done before. I know I wasn't going to have the fastest boat that they ever made, so I went with the alot of little trick things.
You figure a 25ft cat is going to cost you 75k on up with minimum power. 25 Vee maybe start at 60k with a 496HO. You're going to get screwed, if that's the way your looking at it. I looked at it, ok, I'm Fu@ked (I'm going to pay a shi$ load of money) but what do I really want. Then when it's all done, and you see all the work that it actually takes to make YOUR boat exactly the way you want it. You say it is so worth the Money and hopefully you're happier than hell with your boat and really love the builder. I did! And still do.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I understand about giving someone your word if you got a 20% or 30% discount on a boat. thats alot of money saved by the buyer or lost by the builder. I do not understand the code of silence over saving 5k on a 100K boat. I guess a better question for the boards would be how much profit is in a 100k boat vs. a 50k boat. is it possible for a boat to be 50% or close to it profit?
If there was 50% profit in building a custom boat then I would be a VERY rich man. Not that I am a builder however, I do run the sales department for Ultra.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 07:37 PM
and some of you boat builders are very rich men so whats your point?

slink
10-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I respect my relationship with Barry at Shockwave. I'll let him do his job without interfering. I may (or may not) give you a private answer if I know you and know you're serious about buying a boat, but I wouldn't spout out numbers in public.
DHO, same here. Nothing but respect for Barry, plus the man as a living to make (and a 34' to build). Tic2, when you go in to negotiate with Barry this phrase is quaranteed to save you some serious $$$$$......"How much you going to rape me for that" (Little joke between Barry and I)

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 07:40 PM
a certain builder was on the boards and he said that there isn't that much difference in cost b/t building a 25' or a 28' boat. so why are they not damn near the same price?

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 07:42 PM
My point is there is no where near 50% or 30% or even 20% profit to be made in todays competative custom boat market. If nothing else, I am hoping to help educate you in your buying decision. To help you to go into what ever builder you are considering buying from and helping you work your best deal. Is that not what you were asking?

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
the price b/t the Force 26 and Force 29 might be the closest in cost that i've seen.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 07:46 PM
yeah thats what we are asking here but your first post was kinda meaningless. no offense. I didn't know if you were being a smart alec or what

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
My point is there is no where near 50% or 30% or even 20% profit to be made in todays competative custom boat market. If nothing else, I am hoping to help educate you in your buying decision. To help you to go into what ever builder you are considering buying from and helping you work your best deal. Is that not what you were asking?
Shotkallin,
Listen to Steve's advice. The guys at Ultra will be honest with you. They'd rather you buy another boat and be happy then buy theirs and feel like you got a raw deal.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
A 28' Boat requires Much more resin, fiberglass, interior,billet, larger trailer (usually tri axle), and generally a larger motor as stock power. In general this means higher costs over a 25' boat.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Shotkallin,
Listen to Steve's advice. The guys at Ultra will be honest with you. They'd rather you buy another boat and be happy then buy theirs and feel like you got a raw deal.
Thanks for the plug. Am I going to see you at SEMA?

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 07:51 PM
yeah thats what we are asking here but your first post was kinda meaningless. no offense. I didn't know if you were being a smart alec or what
Maybe a stab at humor that was misplaced. All I try and do here (***boat boards) is try and educate people in making a buying decision. If someone thinks there is that much money to be made in custom boats, then there are going to feel shafted. I will appolagize if my input or advise is taken the wrong way.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 07:53 PM
I thought most guys usually get the 496 h.o. and bravo1 whether its a 25' or 28'. I'm talking most guys. some have money to burn and that explains why merc can sell those pretty blue engines. so how much extra does 3 feet worth of glass wood and carpet really cost?

redneckgirl
10-29-2004, 07:55 PM
DHO, Frenchie & Slink....
I agree with all of you!!! All you have to do is go see Barry and if you are serious it is a done deal!!!! He will definetly take care of you and you will have a great deal on the Shockwave of your dreams!!!!! I know we got a good deal as we did the reseach on alot of boats... the Shockwave Step Skier fit our boating style the best and we got a better price on it than other boats we were quoted on that fit our boating style!!! I know that Shockwave isn't for everybody... but we are more than happy with our Shockwave! We are ready for the kids to outgrow the Step Skier so we can get a bigger Shockwave!!! Just go talk to Barry and if the Shockwave is right for you he will cut you the right deal!!!! Best of luck with you decison!!! We do love our Shockwave Step Skier... 100+ hours on it in less than 10 months!!! :D :D Good luck with your decision!!!! I am sure just about any custom boat you choose you will be happy with!!!!
RNG

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
I thought most guys usually get the 496 h.o. and bravo1 whether its a 25' or 28'. I'm talking most guys. some have money to burn and that explains why merc can sell those pretty blue engines. so how much extra does 3 feet worth of glass wood and carpet really cost?
Only 3 feet in length however, there is a lot more glass in the height or freeboard of a 28 vs. a 25. also most 28' boats are linned with baltec, another considerable cost. Also most 25' boats are equiped with a 496 MAG and 28' boats are equiped with the 496 MAG HO. Off the top of my head I would say that is about a $4500 upgrade if you include the Brazo X drive in that HO. Just those two items alone will constitute around 20k more for a 28' boat. That is also factoring in the trailer. Triple axle vs. tandem. 6" channel vs. 4" channel frames. Big $ difference. I hope this little bit of insight helps.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 08:07 PM
It helps alot. I appreciate it alot. I guess you gotta pay to play.

77charger
10-29-2004, 08:07 PM
all overpriced IMO.right now people are buying evrything so value is up when things slow down you will have one piece of expensive fiberglass that will be hard to sell

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
A 28' Boat requires Much more resin, fiberglass, interior,billet, larger trailer (usually tri axle), and generally a larger motor as stock power. In general this means higher costs over a 25' boat.
From what was told to me by a builder, there is very little added cost between the two, The mold is what cost.
Is a 50 gallon drum of material still $500.00 or has it gone up.
Lets face it people YOU DONT NEED A BOAT that is why they cost so much.
80 K for a 25 boat with stock 496 HO power.
You can get a porsche for that price with millions of dollars of technology stuffed into it....
Granted I want that high priced boat so I will pay for it and complain. But I will still buy it, SOMEDAY :eek:

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the plug. Am I going to see you at SEMA?
I wish. All those cars and boats. It would be heaven. My wife is pregnant so Vegas is kinda on the backburner for a while. We will just go to the river more often. :) I am planning on going to LA in January though!

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I guess my point is there are a lot of unseen costs that attribute to the eventual marketing price of a custom boat. I also know there there are quit a few great boats out there. What manufacture are you thinking of going with? and what size boat?

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 08:12 PM
yeah i hear you how much is a roll of multi directional fiberglass cost? and how many rolls does it take to built a boat? I know we are getting the shaft here.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I wish. All those cars and boats. It would be heaven. My wife is pregnant so Vegas is kinda on the backburner for a while. We will just go to the river more often. :) I am planning on going to LA in January though!
Well congrats on the soon to be new addition. Look me up in LA. I will buy you a beer and smoke a cigar with ya. :D

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 08:17 PM
I really like Cobra's 260 razor. I like the finish quality alot better that other boats i've seen in that class. I also like DCB's mach 26. dont know If I want to pay cat insurance though. I am also not opposed to a gently used boat.

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:21 PM
I am also not opposed to a gently used boat.
That is like saying slowly driven, never redlined FERRARI.... LOL

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Well congrats on the soon to be new addition. Look me up in LA. I will buy you a beer and smoke a cigar with ya. :D
Thanks. I don't smoke but I'll take ya up on the beer. And maybe some Ultra gear ;)

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Cobra is starting to come into there own as a builder. They really do build a good boat. DCB, Not to many people can compete with there rigging. If you don't want to pay the cat insurance rates, look at the DCB 28 Extreme. It is small for a 28 and in the same price range as the Mach 26. Good luck in your search. If you want an honest opinion on any other builders, feel free to pm me and I will fill ya in.

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 08:24 PM
All this talk about the material. Has anyone considered that it takes years of R&D to make a plug before a certain model even goes into production. Don't get me wrong. I wish I could have bought my boat for half of what I paid for it but I know they cost money. If these builders didn't make a good profit they wouldn't be around to make us the boats we love so much. Just looking at it from all sides.

voodoomedman
10-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Cobra is starting to come into there own as a builder. They really do build a good boat. DCB, Not to many people can compete with there rigging. If you don't want to pay the cat insurance rates, look at the DCB 28 Extreme. It is small for a 28 and in the same price range as the Mach 26. Good luck in your search. If you want an honest opinion on any other builders, feel free to pm me and I will fill ya in.
Before you settle on a builder do a search on here. You will get lots of good and probably not so good info.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Before you settle on a builder do a search on here. You will get lots of good and probably not so good info.
Very good advice.

SHOTKALLIN
10-29-2004, 08:40 PM
thanx for the info rvrtoy. i'll say hello at the boat show.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Please do. I enjoy meeting people from the boards.

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Are you gonna wear a shirt that says Rvrtoy, how are we gonna know who you are when the wife and I stop by to say hi to JW and you.....

jbtrailerjim
10-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Custom boats are without a doubt expensive. I don't even remember what list price was on my boat. I got what I thought was a fair deal. But more importantly to me was I got a quality product from a builder who has a great reputation and stands behind the product he sells. Making sure you get the best deal on a boat (imo) should not be the most important thing to look for when buying a custom boat. Sure you don't wanna get screwed on the price but do your homework on boats and the builders that build them and more than likely you will get a fair deal.

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Jim, what day will you be at SEMA? I have a couple of shirts for you. :D

jbtrailerjim
10-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim, what day will you be at SEMA? I have a couple of shirts for you. :D
Sweet!! You da man Steve. I'll be there on Wednesday and Thursday. :cool:

rvrtoy
10-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Look me up. Xtra Large I hope. :D I will see you then.

jbtrailerjim
10-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Look me up. Xtra Large I hope. :D I will see you then.
Yep, Xtra Large is fine. I'll definitely be lookin for you. I'll even buy you a beer. See ya there. :cool:

Ivan Dan
10-29-2004, 09:25 PM
I would definitely agree with what Kilr said about buying in the winter time. I ordered my boat the day before Thanksgiving last year (after many many months of serious research and inquiring here on the boards) and from what I can tell I got a smokin deal 15-20% below asking price.
I had narrowed my choice down 2 boats both happened to be in LHC so I went back and forth from each place many times and played them against each other. After careful consideration decided on one boat and then continued to play the game with the manufacturer to find the right deal. I ended up throwing a number on the table and told them if they went for it that I would cut a deposit check right then and there. They called me back a couple hours later and told me that they would do it because they were slow. The salesman told me that the price I got was the best he had ever seen and I said thank you very much I appreciated his help. I told him that I would refer him some potential buyers and I did. He ended up building another board member here's boat who I believe got an excellent deal as well.
A couple pieces of advice would be 1) don't just accept the price they give even if its "their bottom line" because most of the time there is a little more room atleast from my experience. 2) and most importantly go with the BIGGEST possible power plant you can because its too hard and expensive to go back once its built. I'm pretty sure everyone in here will agree with me on this issue. Also, if you order it in the winter time it works out perfect because there is a couple months to get it all dialed in before your first big river weekend of Easter or Memorial.
Good luck! OH and by the way....no matter how much research and preparation you do there will ALWAYS be the thought of "damn I shoulda done this or that instead"

Kilrtoy
10-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Good luck! OH and by the way....no matter how much research and preparation you do there will ALWAYS be the thought of "damn I shoulda done this or that instead"
Now if those arent words of wisdom, then I dont know what is...

Ivan Dan
10-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Now if those arent words of wisdom, then I dont know what is...
Learned that one the hard way....like most others here I would imagine!