PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Stuffers...Help

WheelerDealer
10-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Can someone explain to me what the theory behind bowl stuffers is and what dictates needing to run one? I have seen stuffers for sale on a couple of web sites and have heard them mentioned before but I don't ever recall hearing any of the peeps here on the board (racers, pump guys, lake racers, etc.) running one. What's the deal on these things? :confused: :confused:

steelcomp
10-30-2004, 01:04 PM
A stuffer is a plate that mounts to the inside of your bowl right behind the impeller. There is a big void there, and the idea is to eliminate any water going behind the impeller trying to fill that void, and instead, directing it at the vanes, geting it out the bowl faster. It also reduces the volume of your bowl allowing quicker filling. It's a basic pump mod, and I would venture a guess that anyone with any pump work is running one. There are some machined stuffers that are even shaped to fill the void in the back of the impeller, with sort of a cone shape to them.

Jake W2
10-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I have one in my bowl. :D
Jake

WheelerDealer
10-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Are there any good websites that show the different styles available? I have only seen a couple of websites that listed one.

Jake W2
10-30-2004, 06:59 PM
I would not buy the flat kind.
CP Preformance sells a Billet one for their Berkeley bowl.
Aggressor sells one for their bowls.
ATM does not need one they have a liped imp.
What kind of pump do you have?
Jake

Duane HTP
10-30-2004, 07:29 PM
We have a new design as of this summer that fits all three of them. I haven't even put them on my site yet. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and show you one. They are of the cone type.

texas-19
10-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Are they for racing or could you benefit from one with 500 horse?

Duane HTP
10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Texas-19, They are used for both applications. Below is the address to see them. They are the last item on the page.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM

steelcomp
10-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Jake...what's wrong with a flat one...It accomplishes 90% of the cone style...and if you get the clearance tight enough between your impeller and the stufer, I doubt the cone type is of any signifcant benefit.
Just wondering. :idea:

Jake W2
10-31-2004, 10:55 AM
SteelComp, Supper you can use a flat one if you like.I would just go with a new style that was improved over the flat style and for less than 80 bucks HTPs price why not?
Duane do some of the ATM pumps not have the liped imp?
Jake

Duane HTP
10-31-2004, 12:31 PM
I think they all do, but that type of stuffer draws more hp off than the flat or coned plate. We always cut the lip off and put in a regular stuffer. Less Drag.

steelcomp
10-31-2004, 02:03 PM
SteelComp, Supper you can use a flat one if you like.I would just go with a new style that was improved over the flat style and for less than 80 bucks HTPs price why not?
Duane do some of the ATM pumps not have the liped imp?
Jake
Jake...you're right. I thought you might be saying there was something wrong with the flat one. If a guy's got the tools and ability, a stuffer is easy enough to make. Then you only need about a ten dollar piece of aluminum. The hardest part is drilling and tapping the lip in the bowl that the stuffer sits on (in Berk bowl) and weather you buy one or build one, that still has to be done. Probably easier to buy a coned one. I wonder how much better the coned ones work vs. a properly clearanced flat one. My impeller is within .030" of the stuffer.

Duane HTP
10-31-2004, 04:14 PM
I don't know if the difference is measurable, but with the coned one, the pump is churning less water mass back there.

Danhercules
10-31-2004, 09:59 PM
i was told it helps but only if you are looking for every ounce of gain. I am not, there are much better things to do to my boat and pump that will help more than a stuffer. So, I dont have one........ Yet!! :D :D :D